Wa. Exhaust question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Wa. Exhaust question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I've been working tuns of overtime and a few upgrades are cresting the horizon! Anyways I'd like to go ...
    253ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Wa. Exhaust question

So I've been working tuns of overtime and a few upgrades are cresting the horizon! Anyways I'd like to go with kooks headers, no cats and corsa exhaust. My question is 1 can I get the cats tuned out and 2 will I pass emissions in Washington? I think they only plug into my lighter but I'm not really sure how it works.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Wa. Exhaust question

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they don't plug into your lighter, since that would tell them nothing other than that you have a 12V electrical system.

Well I just took my jeep in sep and they did. Maybe the state doesn't have the money to power their equipment idk

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    They probably just plug into your OBD2 port. You can turn off the sensors essentially with hptuner no problem. I haven't used EFI live but I would guess that you can do it there as well. You just turn off the p0420&0430 codes. When they check the obd2 I am not sure if they can see the difference in the tune but I'm gonna venture a guess that they can. So what you might need to do is change to tune to stock and drive the car in.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by 253ctsv View Post
    So I've been working tuns of overtime and a few upgrades are cresting the horizon! Anyways I'd like to go with kooks headers, no cats and corsa exhaust. My question is 1 can I get the cats tuned out and 2 will I pass emissions in Washington? I think they only plug into my lighter but I'm not really sure how it works.
    They plug into your ODB2 port here, not the lighter. You can pass if you get the CEL lights turned off which can be done by a dyno shop or in HP tuners (which I have by the way if you want to pay for the credits to unlock your VIN). I don't have cats on my V.

Quote Originally Posted by etcts-v

They plug into your ODB2 port here, not the lighter. You can pass if you get the CEL lights turned off which can be done by a dyno shop or in HP tuners (which I have by the way if you want to pay for the credits to unlock your VIN). I don't have cats on my V.
    Yes! Thanks. I woulda asked you but I figured I've been asking enough so I'd post n see what I came up with

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by 253ctsv View Post
    Yes! Thanks. I woulda asked you but I figured I've been asking enough so I'd post n see what I came up with
    Have him unlock your V and then turn off the cat code, he can also turn off the CAGS system so you can use second gear whenever you want.

Cags is the skip shift? That's about the stupidest thing ever. I thought my tranny was effed for like a month till I figured that out lol

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

A few comments:

1) If you do have a CEL, and have it cleared make sure you go for a few days with varried driving stop/starts of the car, or your car will flag at Emissions.
    2) Kooks + corsa is a great combo. Keep in mind with no cats it is gonna be loud (which is awesome). At WOT it's gonna sound hella mean.
    3) The Cags in the V1 sucks. Very intrusive. I had mine deleted (and then turned off in the tune) almost immediatly. On my V2, I haven;t bothered. It has kicked in like 2 times in 20k miles. Guess they got the program more refined over time.
    4) While your doing headers, you should swap the plugs and wires as well. OEM wires are fine. I'd also get KoolSox to cover the wires to prevent any header burns (worth the few extra bux for reliability.) With KoolSox, I've had 1 burnt wire over 100k miles w/ coated Kooks headers.

You are gonna love the headers. Great mod. Up near the top of my best mods (along with short shifter and katech clutch.)

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

Thanks for all the input, I think I will do those things. Sounds like I need to start making a parts list!

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they don't plug into your lighter, since that would tell them nothing other than that you have a 12V electrical system.
    LOL You knew what he meant, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    They probably just plug into your OBD2 port. You can turn off the sensors essentially with hptuner no problem. I haven't used EFI live but I would guess that you can do it there as well. You just turn off the p0420&0430 codes. When they check the obd2 I am not sure if they can see the difference in the tune but I'm gonna venture a guess that they can. So what you might need to do is change to tune to stock and drive the car in.
    Its a bit more then just those 2 codes...

It should be:
    * P0054
    * P0060
    * P0137
    * P0138
    * P0140
    * P0141
    * P0157
    * P0158
    * P0160
    * P0161
    * P0420
    * P0430
    * P2A01
    * P2A04

I don't think any are missing from that lot, but basically any Oxygen Sensor Bank1 Sensor2, or Bank2 Sensor2 codes need to be disabled. I passed NYC emissions because once the codes were disabled, the systems read OK after drive cycle completed.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

At a legitimate inspection station the first thing they do is a visual inspection for mods like missing or gutted CATs and disconnected or disabled emissions devices. Check with the bandits in your area to find the inspection stations that accept bribes to overlook this stuff.

Removing the CATs is a federal crime that is seldom enforced but I'd probably be the guy they'd set as an example.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    At a legitimate inspection station the first thing they do is a visual inspection for mods like missing or gutted CATs and disconnected or disabled emissions devices. Check with the bandits in your area to find the inspection stations that accept bribes to overlook this stuff.

Removing the CATs is a federal crime that is seldom enforced but I'd probably be the guy they'd set as an example.
    I've been to three different inspections stations in Washington over the last 4 years, never once had anyone look under the car or anywhere around the car really. They're just a bunch of underpaid government employee's who don't really care around here luckily.

After thinking about it last night, I remember that they do plug into your cigar lighter if you have a pre ODB car, it's their way of testing voltage. They then stick a smeller tube up your tail pipe and do a dyno run (had a 91 geo metro daily last year that required this). For ODB cars however all you do is pull up, they verify VIN then plug into computer and you're done! Just went through the station on Aurora in Seattle last week in my girlfriends Toyota.

By the way our cars require 2 HP Tuner credits so $100 ($50 per credit) will unlock your car and we can do all the changes you want like CEL lights, CAGS, Fans Temps, Speed Limiters, etc, etc.

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Wow you guys have it made up there. I had to get my truck smogged a few months ago and they wanted to fail me for K&N intake. Also said if the CEL had been cleared recently their equipment would be able to tell and I would fail. All this on a diesel truck that came without a cat from the factory..

Quote Originally Posted by alradco View Post
    Wow you guys have it made up there. I had to get my truck smogged a few months ago and they wanted to fail me for K&N intake. Also said if the CEL had been cleared recently their equipment would be able to tell and I would fail. All this on a diesel truck that came without a cat from the factory..
    Ouch that's brutal!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.