need cam help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By 2007ThunderV
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, need cam help in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Saw this on craigslist...I dont know anything about cam specs but I want to cam my V. Will this work ...
    platinum_V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 platinum Cts-V

need cam help

Saw this on craigslist...I dont know anything about cam specs but I want to cam my V. Will this work without any mods and with those specs, will it be loud and a hard idle? I daily drive her and I dont want anything TOO radical.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/pts/3574037437.html

Any help with be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: need cam help

Sorry, that cam is a terrible choice for a daily driver. It has extremely high intake and exhaust durations. It will buck and surge like crazy at low RPMs, and rob power at low RPMs, and need to be revved extremely high. Like the ad says, this is a race cam.

platinum_V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 platinum Cts-V

Im glad I asked! So what would be a good cam for daily driver but also sounds like I have a cam, I dont want anything to quiet.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Additionally there is so much more to a cam install than just the actual cam. As with all mods - Cheap, Powerful, Reliable: pick 2.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

trukk is right, there is a lot more to it that just the cam. Your best bet is to talk to a tuner/builder about your current setup and future plans and have them spec a cam for you.

For the LS6, I personally like the 228/234 111+3 LSA. If you want to buy off the shelf, lately Tick Performance has been putting out some cams that are very similar to what my local tuner puts out. You might want to check out their site and call them up for advice. Also, the streetsweeper HT by flowtech induction plays very well in our engines. Give those guys a call, tell them your setup and your needs and ask them what they recommend.

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

That cam is waaayyy too radical for a street LS6. If they got the part number right, then the specs are wrong that they listed. The Comp 54-466 11 is rated at 259/267 @.050" lift, .624/.624" lift on a 115 LSA. You would run into many issues as already stated. You would need to upgrade the entire valve train on the LS6 and I'm pretty sure that cam would poke a valve through a piston. That would be a decent cam in a larger displacement motor (LSX 454).

The cam Hamstar mentioned would be a good choice if staying N/A.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
    That cam is waaayyy too radical for a street LS6. If they got the part number right, then the specs are wrong that they listed. The Comp 54-466 11 is rated at 259/267 @.050" lift, .624/.624" lift on a 115 LSA.
    I came at it from the other direction - I assumed the part number was wrong and cross referenced the specs. The 281/283 duration specs are "advertised durations" and not the @.50 lift specs we all use for comparison. Based on my cross reference I believe the cam in question is Comp's XER281HR which has durations of 232/234 @.50 lift and an LSA of 112.

If this the cam in question of course, it would still require supporting valvetrain modifications and is not suitable for use with the stock exhaust manifolds.

As usual, darkman has the answer. Not as bad choice as we thought before, but still rather big for the LS6. Having said that, there are guys out there runnin bigger cams.

2007ThunderV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts v

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbjyD1PdkKw
    i love my 233/239 cam from tsp
    car runs great , no surging, makes good power
    heres a recent video, might be a bit radical for what u want

Overd0s3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V blk/blk

That's a race cam, most def not a daily driver cam. Have fun in a drive through!
    Personally I have a 231/235 and I get good mid range with no surge. Also depends on your tune!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XurfVKVV74
    this is mine

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.