Obx header to stock exhaust
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Obx header to stock exhaust in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Tried to search, but can obx headers be connected to the factory exhaust without cutting if the cat or resonator ...
    2007V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, maggie

Obx header to stock exhaust

Tried to search, but can obx headers be connected to the factory exhaust without cutting if the cat or resonator pipes aren't used?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Obx header to stock exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by 2007V View Post
    Tried to search, but can obx headers be connected to the factory exhaust without cutting if the cat or resonator pipes aren't used?

Thanks
    Yes. But you won't like the smell and you won't pass emissions.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Without cutting? No. None of the long tube headers (Kooks, Pacesetter, OBX, SW, etc) have the collectors in a place that a stock exhaust could mate up to without cutting and modifying.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Excellent! so I assume kooks are the same way? Ie the mid pipes aren't required.

I might get the catted obx and try it without them first. Also does it really smell that bad? I didn't notice a smell on my last cattless car.

2007ThunderV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts v
    Kooks makes connection pipes that bolt to stock exhaust
    Of course you would need to buy kooks long tubes not obx

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Without cutting? No. None of the long tube headers (Kooks, Pacesetter, OBX, SW, etc) have the collectors in a place that a stock exhaust could mate up to without cutting and modifying.
    Didn't see this. So the only non-cutting of the stock exhaust is with PS and their short connection tubes?

Also Is eBay or amazon the best price for obx? I saw on another post that they were available new for $490 but I haven't been able to find that source.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 2007ThunderV View Post
    Kooks makes connection pipes that bolt to stock exhaust
    Of course you would need to buy kooks long tubes not obx
    I thought that you had to cut a little off the stock exhaust for kooks or obx to use their connection pipes. It's not a big deal just trying to get it planned out.

2007ThunderV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts v
    I have kooks with corsa and there was no cutting everything bolts together

Iam not sure but check kooks website if their connection pipes for stock cat back require cutting .

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    Pacesetter's will require cutting the flange off the cat back , IIRC. The connection pipes or whatever they are calling them, is really just a reducer to fit the factory 2 1/2 inch pipe. The smell will be very noticeable. It will seem as if the car is running extremely rich.

Quote Originally Posted by JFensty View Post
    Pacesetter's will require cutting the flange off the cat back , IIRC. The connection pipes or whatever they are calling them, is really just a reducer to fit the factory 2 1/2 inch pipe. The smell will be very noticeable. It will seem as if the car is running extremely rich.
    I'm confused by this. The picture PS shows of the extension has a flange so it looks like it would bolt up to the stock cat back. Are their pictures wrong? I also thought that I read that they are a little long which would imply that nothing is cut, otherwise you would just cut more off.

Headers: http://marylandspeed.com/pacesetter-...9.html?image=0

Connections: http://marylandspeed.com/pacesetter-...9.html?image=1

I guess they could fit. When I installed mine I did not purchase the extensions. I knew I was going to install cats so it would have been a waste of money. I did have to cut the flange off to install a reducer so I could drive the car to have the exhaust done. Seems like the exhaust would be pushed back an inch or two for the extensions to fit but I could be wrong. Its been well over a year since I did the install.

I think that is right about it being pushed back with the extensions. Maybe I can trim some of the header.

How do you like the headers?

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

Cutting the exhaust should not be a big deal. You could always weld them back together later if needed (IE save the cut off portion) there should be enough identifying marks on the pipe to align them, or put a good scratch or two across the cut line to align later if you need to.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Not necessarily true.

The following is true if you are NOT using cat converters:
    I have Pacesetter LTs without cats, using the extension connectors mated directly into the stock exhaust, without cutting anything.

The part specifically was
    -PaceSetter 82-1170 Off Road Header Extension for Cadillac CTS-V 04-07
    It goes on amazon for like $70 shipped

Its a 2 part per header setup, with 1 part that bolts to the catback exhaust (without cat converter, obv), and then it has another part that connects the connector from catback to the header with two bolts that tighten it up.

In the pic above, you can see the connectors with the flange, and you can also see the part which goes between that connector and onto the header. This clamps down with those 2 bolts, and will hold it all down in place perfect.

Although this picture is dark, you can see that I still have the front flanges from the stock exhaust.

As far as being 'pushed back'... MAYBE half an inch. To me, I noticed NO movement in the exhaust to be honest. Just make sure you sit the extensions on correctly. I didn't have a shop do any of the install, I personally did the install. Buy the headers with the extensions, and you can mess around with it to get it to fit perfectly all the way in.

Only issues I ran when putting on headers with stock catback was 1 pacesetter header wouldn't thread the front o2 in, so I used a thread chaser to get that to work, and I had 1 head bolt break, so I had someone (more skilled than I with a welder, as I don't weld, period) weld a head to the bolt to remove it.

Again, the above is only if you don't plan on using ANY cat converters. Otherwise, you will have to weld.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Well then, I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by 2007V View Post
    I think that is right about it being pushed back with the extensions. Maybe I can trim some of the header.

How do you like the headers?
    I really like them. Mine are not wrapped and cool to the touch within 10 minutes of heavy driving. 2 PA winters and no corrosion from salt. Still nice and shiny.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.