Cadillac Owners Forum banner

who makes a keyed crank pulley for us?

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  runsfromdacops 
#1 ·
hey guy my stock crank pulley has come lose 5 times now so i think its time to upgrade to a under driven and keyed one.i have a aftermarket crank with a key way in it.
who makes them for our cars?
best place to get one?

#4 ·
If you have a keyed crank, then why are we having this conversation? You'd have to break the key to slip the pulley.

We have super slow power steering relative to cars that are much faster than ours (e.g. Corvette). It's your alignment, not your power steering.

You're making zero sense right now.

#6 ·
If you're driving at those speeds, then you are probably spinning it pretty fast, which means you should get an ATI Super Damper. ATI sells a key kit for their damper. Not sure of the details, as I didn't key mine.

By the way, though I didn't go with an underdrive for the same reasons as Fuzzy, my tuner swears by them. I think you can safely do a 10%. More than that if you're feeling daring.

#10 ·
According to their catalog, the ATI standard replacements part numbers 917266 (aluminum); 917246 (steel) as well as their 10% underdrive part number 917278 (aluminum) use their hub number 916032 which reportedly comes with a 3/16" keyway. In any event, the hub is a separate part that I believe any machine shop could add a keyway to if required. ATI has excellent reputation for customer service so I would not hestiate to call them directly to verify this. (They do not appear to offer a 25% underdrive, but you could ask.)

#11 ·
You can have any balancer machined, although if the balancer is coming loose it's likely installed incorrectly. There is nothing wrong with pinning the crank...however pinning or the key won't help keep the thing on there if its not properly installed.

G
#12 ·
Yours is spinning loose because of TOO MUCH POWA. The faster acceleration spins the pulley on the snout, that's why they get pinned or a key is used. Darkman is right, it's a 3/16" keyway that is the standard size.

#13 ·
Its not hard to install..look at my build, I think I can handel putting the pulley on. its just a shity design. If it was a stock crank id just drill and pin the stock balancer but i dont feel right doing that to a crank with a keyway in it. I know ati makes one with a keyway for our cars buf I figured there would be more options.

#14 ·
My apologies, did not intend to impugn your work by any means. Many have had the balancer come loose as GM didn't exactly do the best job. Never heard of one coming loose unless incorrectly installed or spinning on the crank other than using a supercharger. There are threads out there where some have had issues with the balancer coming loose after having it pinned due to improper installation though.

#20 ·
My crank id still in one pice from useing the pos stock pulley and making 1050chp
I have heard good things about both powrr bond and ati. The ati just isnt in the budget as its almost 3times the cost of the power bond.
If the motor starts shiting barings ill buck up and get a ati down the road but suspect the powerbond will be just fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.