2004 vs 2006 rear diff. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 2004 vs 2006 rear diff. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by the blur The guy with the 06 won't let me drive it. So obviously I won't buy ...
    RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Quote Originally Posted by the blur View Post
    The guy with the 06 won't let me drive it. So obviously I won't buy it. He expects me to hand over money, and be happy after LOOKING at the car. Dealing with morons is just beyond impossible.
    Lol how is someone expected to buy a car without a test drive? I mean OK if you insurance doesn't cover a potential buyer then make a deal like if you have cash in hand you can test drive it and if you don't like it I'll give your cash back and you can leave or something. I had a 17 year old come to test drive my last car and with almost 400whp at the front tires I wouldn't let him just come drive it. Being that he was a noon at driving I was certain he would put my car into a wall

JD03Cobra is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Platinum CTS V

Re: 2004 vs 2006 rear diff.

Not sure how an 06 is worth 10k more than the 04. My 06 can't be worth more than 17k (98k miles)...doubt you can buy the 04 with the same milage for 7k. I would look for a good deal on the 06 myself. Never had a rear diff problem for what its worth.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

get an 06. Be prepared to travel. Got my 06 half way across the country. Got the plane ticket for $200 and drove it back for $200 in gas. Was an awesome trip and well worth the travel. Got it for less than what I could find locally in my big city, it's a rare enough car if you see the deal you need you want elsewhere travel out with cash or a bank check and scoop it up.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Always go for the '04...
    rjoffe and rjoffe like this.

Stepside is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 DTS performance; CowboyCadillac='12 SVT Raptor

There are four different part numbers for the differential of a V1.
    1st --- 10361308 in '04
    2nd--- 10368780 in '04 & '05
    3rd--- 15793756 installed in '06 & '07.
    4th--- 25873498 was released in 2008 for a slight improvement over 15793756

None of these rears are suitable for repetitive Drag Racing due to the Design, ie., aluminum case, support structure.

G-force axles are advisable or equivalent.

Find out what the diff part # is on the '04 '06

the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...item4ac0dde6a6
    Read the bottom of this auction. No cash, no checks. paypal + 3%.
    Some of these people are so paranoid, it's beyond crazy. Kinda makes you want to deal with a used car lot.

Thanks for posting those rear end part #'s. I see all the previous #'s are discontinued. Where is # stamped on the case?

Overd0s3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V blk/blk

I can meet his price, been looking at 996TTs all too often lately, see your inbox

nvthev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 cts-v
    Bought my 06 drove 17 hours round trip to get it. Best investment ever car wise.

brngrhd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

Ok I just bought my car 2004 cts-v I was told it "had the newer rear end installed" so I searched on here found this thread with part numbers and checked mine based off these numbers. Had a fellow technician who works at the dealership with me check the number too. We came up with 15793758 when I search that number here I come up with nothing..... If I google it I come up with an 05 SRX rear end..... Is it normal to do that swap? Is it any stronger/weaker then the cts stuff?

VincentT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I don't know why the last number is an 8 instead of a 6, but I'm pretty sure you have a 3rd gen diff there. As far as I can tell, all of the individual components of the 15793758 diff and the 15793756 diff are the same. Which means it was replaced at some point. Could be wrong though.

It has the older style pinion seal/support..... Do only the 498's have the new pinion seal/support?

VincentT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I was under the impression that one of the changes made from the 3rd gen to the 4th was the pinion seal. I thought there was a recall back in like '07 recalling them because of a leak. If that's true, then it makes sense that yours would have the old style. I don't have access to a dealership computer or anything, and I'm sort of new to these diffs, but that's the story I know.

Experts on the issue: if I'm spouting lies, let me know.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Yes I had read that, and just read it again, my diff number is not listed on here anywhere.... If i google it I do come up with a SRX diff which seems to be a possible swap for the car..... My question come more to the point of "if it looks like the old diff am I to take that it is weak like the old style diff? And is it only the most current diff that has the updated seal/pinion support?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by brngrhd View Post
    Yes I had read that, and just read it again, my diff number is not listed on here anywhere.... If i google it I do come up with a SRX diff which seems to be a possible swap for the car..... My question come more to the point of "if it looks like the old diff am I to take that it is weak like the old style diff? And is it only the most current diff that has the updated seal/pinion support?
    All I know about the new style pinion snout is in that thread. As I read it, the new look only came out in 2008. Based your number, I believe your differential is a Generation III rather than a Generation IV. The Generation IIIs are generally reliable (they don't explode). All generation differentials are subject to becoming noisy, and none of them are good for drag racing.
    brngrhd and brngrhd like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.