Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Engine

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Drivetrain

Votes: 8 40.0%

Cadispeedster's first thread! NEW MEMBER! 2006 CTS-V

8K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  trukk 
#1 ·
Now what's up ya'll? So what's it going to be? Can ya keep the rap going for your T O double D?

06 CTS-V
Hey all, names Todd. Looking forward to some fun installs, how to's, and most likely some customized work. I'm sure I'll be valuable to the Cadi forum community as I do all my own maintenance and upgrades.

It's an 06 around 70,000 miles, so please let me know if there's anything I should keep an eye out for or change maybe before I have issues.

From the exterior the car stock is aesthetically pleasing. I don't like to junk up the look of stock cars too much, so there is no poll for that! :) (sleeper style)

Thanks!

#2 ·
Re: Cadispeedster's first thread! NEW MEMBER!

You'll do a LOT better with this up in the proper Forum. Moved.

The Lounge is for "How's your dog doing ??" CTS is for car work, and the -V guys are good at it.

Welcome Aboard !!! :welcome:

Polls take up a lot of room and aren't really the way for good info........................I'll bet the CTS guys can give you the most reasonable, efficient path to happiness............... and not break the bank in the process.

#3 ·

Cool, thanks for the move. It did say new member introductions. But hopefully get more looks now.

Anyways, thread jack my own thread! lol
How's ammo reloading going with all this stuff going on? I just bought a bunch of ammo and magazines... Glad I did. Prices have more then double, and now might get banned! I'd like to get into that, it's cheaper no? Check out Extreme Shock rounds. Pretty crazy stuff.

#23 ·

Cool, thanks for the move. It did say new member introductions. But hopefully get more looks now.

Anyways, thread jack my own thread! lol
How's ammo reloading going with all this stuff going on? I just bought a bunch of ammo and magazines... Glad I did. Prices have more then double, and now might get banned! I'd like to get into that, it's cheaper no? Check out Extreme Shock rounds. Pretty crazy stuff.

Finally have Someone that just might appreciate my AVATAR & you guys try to run him off.........:tisk:

I don't get on here much a anymore.......But, Welcome to the forum anyway:welcome::welcome:

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Don't pick on the new members.

(Even if they're being a bit of a douche)

#10 ·
Fresh as a summers eve!

----------

I'm just pissed cuz I don't have my V anymore.

#11 ·
Welcome to the site.
All bushings. Thats about all I'd keep an eye out for.

Motor mounts, trans, diff... all seem to weaken out over time. The car itself is generally solid. The differential is definitely the weakest part of the car but if you don't dog it hard out the line too much, you should be fine.

#15 ·
How am I a douche? Not that I care... But, if this forum is lame and full of other "douches" I'll be out for sure.
Maybe I'll have better lucky with my old Mazda forum where the people are nicer and more helpful.

I've got excellent write ups and how to's there. But if you don't want me here, good luck with everything and have fun paying hundreds of dollars to have someone install or fix your car for you, even pricey simple oil changes. If you're lucky enough, like me, to be able to afford to pay people to do your own work, great! Good for you! But I actually really enjoy working on all my cars and motorcycles. Also, have a huge background with restoration on aircraft's.

Thanks, for you guys who were nice enough to post something meaningful and very helpful (odthetruth)... Great info. There seem to be some members that are waste of forum space. Just my two cents.

----------

Also I do believe there are forum rules...

"No flaming of other members to incite or perpetuate a conflict or argument.

Personal attacks or name-calling can get you banned.

No bombing forums or threads with pointless posts."

As stated...

#16 ·
Dude, look at almost every other thread in the V forum. It's full of people helping out perfect strangers. You will also note that we are very much into DIY- I don't believe there's anything on these cars that most of us haven't done, except maybe personally forging engine blocks.

The thing is you came on here with a poll showing a choice of mods that made it obvious you haven't done any more than te most cursory type of research. It's not that we don't want to help, it's that our time is valuable too and we expect a little legwork on the part of whoever is asking the question. Then the whole gun thing was just off-topic, and that's not the culture here. Personally I think this is a good thing because you don't have a bunch of idiots posting shit simply for the sake of it, like some kind of wordgasm. There are a million other places on the Internet for that.

I really hope you stick around and contribute. It's a good forum, but like all others has it's own culture that it's worth learning if ou wanna get the most out of it.

Peace

#17 ·
Mostly down to business around these parts of the forum, don't get offended as you will get flamed until you learn the in's and out's. You'll gain respect slowly by asking for help and more than anything do a search first before you post. I didn't understand that when I first joined but now that I've seen 40,000 posts asking the same questions over and over again about the same stuff I now understand why you'll lose respect by not doing your homework. There's at least two dozen good threads on here about the best mods for the V and the order in which you should do them.

This forum is an invaluable resource for your V and you will lose out if you don't stick with it and start with some thick skin. You'll learn more on here than you could ever imagine as most of us not only do our own "maintenance" but do complete engine, trans, interior, exterior, drive train, suspension, etc, etc mods. We've torn down and rebuilt from the ground up finding, fixing and fabricating solutions and strengthening weak points that the GM engineers missed and not only adding a few 100 hp but in some cases twice the horsepower and torque out of these machines as what came from the factory. The guys giving you a hard time are the guys you should respect and listen to, they've helped and taught me more than I could ever imagine.

I got schooled my first post as well so don't feel special...

#18 ·
Understood, thanks :)

Might be a habit from the Mazda forum then. Different kind of culture i guess... Just get excited to get a new nice car, ya wanna see what people recommend from experience. I see you have an 06. What you think? I might make a custom cold air first thing and follow up with some sort of exhaust. There's so much to choose from, but I don't think I'll be happy with any of the intakes. I'll post another thread with plenty of pictures. As for the exhaust, I've always liked the QTP cutouts. Which would be great for a future turbo build.

Cheers, and thanks!

G
#20 ·
Good post. A lot of info and cheaper ways of doing things. Just search a little then create threads asking more specific questions.

On a side note: I'm heading out for a 'Fat Girl' ride. Maybe I can break something else and add some excitement to the winter boredom. Lol

#19 ·
Cutouts are a great mod to start with! For Cold Air Intake I went with K&N first but then pulled it and sold it for a Volant Intake which I like a lot better, more effective at keeping heat soak out. Most guys keep the OEM airbox and just the intake tube which seems to be highly effective. As for the intake manifold, I'm picking up a 90mm FAST next week to replace my stock LS6 and LS2 Throttle body. Having it ported out here at port works.

#21 · (Edited)
Yeah, the Volant brand seems pretty enticing, but still a few things I would change. I had major heat soak issues with my turbo'd Speed Protege, so I'm very familiar. I'm glad this car doesn't necessarily need a turbo. If so, I'd most likely install the turbo at the back near the muffler and run the hot pipe up to the front. This would be PERFECT! for the QTP cutouts :D. Turbos get sooo hot... The stock intercooler was about the size of a macaroni box located inside the engine bay. No bueno.
Good post. A lot of info and cheaper ways of doing things. Just search a little then create threads asking more specific questions.

On a side note: I'm heading out for a 'Fat Girl' ride. Maybe I can break something else and add some excitement to the winter boredom. Lol
Fat girl?? I'll take one for the team I guess... being the new guy and all... ha!

G
#29 · (Edited)
Wow, graced with rlj5's presence on your first thread. Haha. Even TBJS has tamed down in the past two years. I remember when you would get suspended from here at least once every other month.

rlj5 - I've successfully pounded your old QA1 shocks into submission. All have been rebuilt three times due to leaks, one piston shaft broken, the bottom of one shock body broken and currently both fronts have leaked all the fluid out again.

I meant to post this link about the 'Fat Girl' the other day. This was written by another forum member who writes for LSXTV.com and all the other GM online magazines. I've done all my own work as have plenty of other forum members. We are all more than willing to help out with knowledge, excerpts from the service manual, photos and there are plenty of illustrated how-to's on here.

On a side note, NONE of my friends shorten the Fat Girls name to 'TFG'. Lol. Plus I run 275/40's out back not stock 245/45's.

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/featur...l’s-’07-“tfg-v”-is-built-for-the-road-course/

#36 ·
Wow, graced with rlj5's presence on your first thread. Haha. Even TBJS has tamed down in the past two years. I remember when you would get suspended from here at least once every other month.

rlj5 - I've successfully pounded your old QA1 shocks into submission. All have been rebuilt three times due to leaks, one piston shaft broken, the bottom of one shock body broken and currently both fronts have leaked all the fluid out again.

I meant to post this link about the 'Fat Girl' the other day. This was written by another forum member who writes for LSXTV.com and all the other GM online magazines. I've done all my own work as have plenty of other forum members. We are all more than willing to help out with knowledge, excerpts from the service manual, photos and there are plenty of illustrated how-to's on here.

On a side note, NONE of my friends shorten the Fat Girls name to 'TFG'. Lol. Plus I run 275/40's out back not stock 245/45's.

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/features/car-features/brian-ruckdeschel’s-’07-“tfg-v”-is-built-for-the-road-course/
I'm just getting old...

#37 ·
But it is much easier on the old body with that really nice V2 you drive now .........Right?

#41 · (Edited)
I've done in 3 now, 2 passanger and one drivers side, 1000 hp DSS axles. Hendrix kept telling me that he has never had any break before me or since. What a line of B.s.
I even had to call DSS personally to get my refund for the last stub, because Thomas kept dodging my calls when it came to pony up. Even then he never reinbursed me the full amount.(I paid for stub to get it out right away, while I sent him the broken stub)
No diss on DSS, but Thomas on the other hand.
Are you lowered? I read somewhere that camaro guys lowered with DSS axles were having the same problem untill DSS made some changes.
Seems a change they need to do for the V guys.

#39 ·
Wow...MYKENYCE haz returned?

OP:

1) Fix all the worn out bushings
2) New Short Shifter
3) Replace dual mass flywheel (katech twindisk if you can afford it)

-Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.