Over Steer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Over Steer in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I am looking to setup a 2004 V for track. I want to totally elimate any chance of over steer. ...
    the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Over Steer

I am looking to setup a 2004 V for track. I want to totally elimate any chance of over steer. Bigger rear tires, smaller front tires, less rear bar. Anything to keep the rear from stepping out.
    Since I am new to V's, what is the standard setup for the suspension, on a road course.

thanks!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Over Steer

Leave Stability Control on. Done.

Seriously, it's a production sedan. GM designed it for the average incompetent driver to not kill themself. Regardless of how much you try to "oversteer-proof" the car, if you drive it wrong, it'll still oversteer. I guess I just don't understand the point of the question.

I run a square wheel/tire setup on track, and have a larger (Hotchkis) rear sway bar with the stock front bar, and the car still understeers.
    odthetruth and odthetruth like this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Quote Originally Posted by the blur View Post
    I am looking to setup a 2004 V for track. I want to totally elimate any chance of over steer. Bigger rear tires, smaller front tires, less rear bar. Anything to keep the rear from stepping out.
    Since I am new to V's, what is the standard setup for the suspension, on a road course.

thanks!!!
    I wouldn't change anything until you actually drive it on track.

What makes you think that your V has too much oversteer?

I think that the majority of us run basically stock suspension on the road course. The most common suspension mods are probably sway bars and lowering springs. The springs are probably more for looks than performance. People that track their cars more than a few times a year usually end up upgrading shocks to something that is adjustable. The KW V3 coilover setup is very popular and can be had for ~$2k.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Yea give us some more info. Are you going on track for your first time? Any experience on the track in any car? I feel it's always best to learn on what you have then make tweaks. Like aaiiic said if you can drive any car into a not so friendly situation.

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Over steer won't be a problem. Most of us are trying to figure out how to get the car to stop pushing. If you're just getting on the track with a V1 you won't need to be concerned that the car has a propensity to over steer. It doesn't, unless you run out of skill, which is how most of us get into trouble.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    After going from all red cars to a fwd turbo car I can't wait to get on the track, remove the traction control off and step the back end out around a few turns.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

The only oversteer you will experience in the V is power oversteer. So if you get on it too early out of an exit yes it will start oversteer, however with stability control on it generally limits that.

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Take a look at some of the videos at this thread. You will see that you really only get in trouble when you don't drive correctly for the turn. At least that's what my case was lol. Like stated above under steer will be more important to dial in.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...vids-here.html[COLOR="Silver"]

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

It only overseers because of throttle-on oversteer. Its not the suspension, tires, alignment. Do more DE events.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

The first instinct of the car will be to understeer due to being nose heavy. HOWEVER, the instant you're hard off the power, or braking mid-corner, that is going to induce oversteer. So is gasing it hard mid corner or even sometimes at the exit, depending on how you're angled.

The #1 mod you can do in the V, is the driver. Practice with it a bit on the track before you start throwing money at mods.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

BradCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

If you spend some time with the V on a skidpad and autocross course you can learn your driving limits at lower speeds, before you run higher speeds on a road course.

Well I'm going to the first track day in the v this month at a small track near my house. We will see what happens.
    Andringa and Andringa like this.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    Well I'm going to the first track day in the v this month at a small track near my house. We will see what happens.
    The worst part about snow is knowing that other people are going to track days while you are shoveling the crap off your driveway.
    Hope you have a great time!
    PISNUOFF and PISNUOFF like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andringa View Post
    The worst part about snow is knowing that other people are going to track days while you are shoveling the crap off your driveway.
    Hope you have a great time!
    Haha yea I can sympathize with that. Its not a spectacular track but its close and its cheap. I have 2 cameras so I'll try and get some filming in.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

One would think the OP would come back to discuss this further.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.