Driveshaft Issues......ANY "reliable" remedies? Any reliable aftermarket answers.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Driveshaft Issues......ANY "reliable" remedies? Any reliable aftermarket answers. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have a 2005 CTS-V.....I know about the dual mass flywheel issues & i HAVE replaced the clutch & flywheel. ...
    Cadillac_Stokes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Driveshaft Issues......ANY "reliable" remedies? Any reliable aftermarket answers.

I have a 2005 CTS-V.....I know about the dual mass flywheel issues & i HAVE replaced the clutch & flywheel. Being that it only shakes when the car is moving...or when there is torque on the driveline....i'm left to assume that its predominantly the driveshaft....Ive heard mostly negative stuff about the G-Force replacement & no one with 'complete' satisfaction. I Don't care to go back with another factory driveline cause if it went bad once....it will go again. Has ANYONE had any 100% satisfaction with an aftermarket replacement??? PLEASE speak up now...I'd really appreciate your response....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Re: Driveshaft Issues......ANY "reliable" remedies? Any reliable aftermarket answers.

I would check and replace all of the bushings, mounts, and couplers in the drivetrain first, and recheck the torque on the the clutch and flywheel bolts. What kind of clutch and slave did you install? After that, the harmonic balancer and the wheels (sometimes balancing weights can fly off or come off when washing--especially if you use aggressive cleaning agents).

There isn't much that can go wrong on a driveshaft, provided that it was balanced correctly.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Re: Driveshaft Issues......ANY "reliable" remedies? Any reliable aftermarket answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac_Stokes View Post
    I have a 2005 CTS-V.....I know about the dual mass flywheel issues & i HAVE replaced the clutch & flywheel. Being that it only shakes when the car is moving...or when there is torque on the driveline....i'm left to assume that its predominantly the driveshaft....Ive heard mostly negative stuff about the G-Force replacement & no one with 'complete' satisfaction. I Don't care to go back with another factory driveline cause if it went bad once....it will go again. Has ANYONE had any 100% satisfaction with an aftermarket replacement??? PLEASE speak up now...I'd really appreciate your response....
    DSS carbon fiber driveshaft is the only one I've heard of with no complaints.

Fuzzy i went with a MONSTER clutch & 18lb flywheel....and it was shaking before i did the clutch....and i thought the flywheel may have been the issue....but apparently its not....Still doing just as much shaking as before.From what i understand,....none of the driveshaft is serviceable....except the bushings on the ends..@ OneFastV; who sells this DSS Carbon fiber shaft?

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac_Stokes View Post
    who sells this DSS Carbon fiber shaft?
    The Driveshaft Shop does. There was one on eBay I believe...same price as DSS sells it for.

barrok69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

Here is the link to the carbon DSS shaft $1499.
    http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domest...ber-driveshaft

Here are a few points they make about this shaft.
    1. Carbon fiber Driveshaft has a critical speed over 250Mph
    2. 300m Spline stub for ultimate strength
    3. custom 108mm CV with full Chromoly internals
    4. balanced on one of the most sophisticated machines in the industry
    5. you need to make sure bond areas dont exceed 300 Degrees
    6. Carbon fiber shaft will make the car smoother and quieter in the cabin

#5 is the only one that has me concerned and I'm not sure about clearance issues with a 1piece and aftermarket exhaust like corsa, B&B etc..

My DS support bushing is shot and I'm in the same boat as you as far as looking for alternatives to stock, and aftermarket solutions that will not introduce new issues.

Bacon V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

What is it on your driveshaft that suspect to be bad? When does it shake? Certain speeds?

Id start by checking your motor mounts and your trans mount. Relatively cheap to fix, and they can make a world of difference. They are also known to go bad. The only things that I could see being wrong with the driveshaft are:

- Bad Carrier bearing
    - Out of balance (lost a weight)
    - Out of balance (bent/dented)
    - Bad flex disc which could be caused by bad tranny mounts and mis-alignment

Basically, make sure its the shaft before you replace it. You seemed convinced that it was the flywheel, and it wasnt. Make sure you have a reason to believe the shaft is bad before you blow money on it. Ill take your stock one if you do.

Thanks for the info BARROK69....Ima let you know what exactly i find out.
    BACON Im thinking its the Carrier Bearing....a cadillac tech 'looked' at it and said he felt it looked crooked at the carrier....Now just to make sure i understand properly...the flex discs are the discs that bolt to the differential & the tranny right? if so....you make a good point....I WILL say that seem like whatever it is has to kinda warm up before it vibrates.....wont do it for the first 5min of driving.....but after that ...it feels like you're riding in a giant dildo! As far as motor mounts...it doesn't shake at all when revving the engine in neutral....other than the normal torque movement. ima make sure i keep you guys posted i wouldn't want anyone to go through this crap...

Bacon V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

My bet would be the carrier bearing support is what causes your vibration. The bearing is mounted in a rubber disc of sorts and over time it will sag. When the disc sags, it can make it look "bent" as your mechanic said. Since the worn rubber doesnt have enough strength to resist radial movement, you can get some hammering of the driveshaft. Theres a video on youtube somewhere that shows it really well. The thing sits steady at some speeds and hammers away at other levels of load. This spring when I get mine out of storage I plan to design and build an aluminum bolt in truss with poly bushing as a replacement. The carrier bearing is "not serviceable" which means you would need a new driveshaft. I think I can make even a "bad" one work, but we'll see what shakes loose.

Here is the video I was talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7W_vOf6CdY

Wow.......i see.....well with all the research ive done....and having my car just sitting....im think ima go with a one piece unit.....Either G-Force.....or The Driveshaft Shop.....kinda leaning towards the 'Shop' though....if theres anybody that can speak on these....Let me have it cause i think im going to make a purchase in the next week or so....just want the vibration to be gone!

Slow Lane Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS-V Black Raven

After a nearly a year of ongoing vibration issues with the 2 piece that cam with my 9" kit and attempts to correct, I said no more not being able to drive my car. actually Precision Shaft that makes the shaft told me it was my problem now and to "Get lost" to keep it G rated. So...

I am having a 1 piece made with 2 CVs on each and a custom 9" pinion to accept to CV similar to the factory diff. Hope to eliminate any carrier bearing, U Joint angle issues and end the brain shaking vibrations.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Saggin?

This is what a bad carrier bearing looks like.

About 18 months ago, I ended up just going with another OEM, since I didn't like the options available then. They were either vaporware, or were untested on the track (back straight at VIR can see 150ish...wanted validation the replacement could handle that speed, and no one would give it.)

I tried to make a new bearing, but it didn't work out. Sucks having to go back to OEM.

Here is the thread I made about my adventure:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-cv-joint.html

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

i have the 2 piece DSS shaft. there used to be a slight resonance at differnt spots on the rpm band but now i cant replicate it and i didnt change anything in the setup. i installed the recommend shim by CS. the carrier bracke has still not been perfected but its pretty damn close. Max is still working on it last i heard.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by shadybx7 View Post
    i have the 2 piece DSS shaft. there used to be a slight resonance at differnt spots on the rpm band but now i cant replicate it and i didnt change anything in the setup. i installed the recommend shim by CS. the carrier bracke has still not been perfected but its pretty damn close. Max is still working on it last i heard.
    What RPM ranges did this occur? I have a problem with this in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears (with fourth being the absolute worst) at 1500-1700 RPM's. Nothing in 5th or 6th though...at all. Not speed related. Wondering if this is the same that others have mentioned.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Change the stock rubber flex for the new revshift, also check all your bolts and alignments, maybe the joint shifted slightly givin your vibration issues

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.