Driveshaft Issues......ANY "reliable" remedies? Any reliable aftermarket answers. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Driveshaft Issues......ANY "reliable" remedies? Any reliable aftermarket answers. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; The V does take some getting used to, to drive correctly. I have a ls7 clutch and there is and ...
    JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    The V does take some getting used to, to drive correctly. I have a ls7 clutch and there is and always will be some play in the drive train. Unless of course you do a 9"/8.8" swap and one piece ds.

I would recommend inspecting the coupler, carrier bearing and slip joint for excessive play.

Tom400CFI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Driveshaft Issues......ANY "reliable" remedies? Any reliable aftermarket answers.

I agree with the above and also your diff bushings. I put a Gopro under my car and filmed the diff movement and OMG....it flopped around a LOT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZTku3U5ttw

In comparison, here is the (lack of) diff movement in my C4 Corvette. FF to 7:25, and also 8:50:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lr-...layer_embedded

barrok69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

Re: Driveshaft Issues......ANY "reliable" remedies? Any reliable aftermarket answers.

Part of the problem is in the stock setup you have a floating diff attached to a floating cradle....all coupled to a motor/trans that is essentially floating. It's a whole lot of movement in every direction. Once you shore up the cradle bushings and secure the motor/trans with good mounts the only thing left to replace is clutch and driveshaft, whichever you can tolerate leaving alone the longest. I can live with the clutch clunk for now. My driveshaft was flopping all over the place so it had to go. I've been extremely happy with my Carbon DSS. It gives the car a much more "direct power to the pavement" feel losing all the windup that the stock setup creates.

In essence by fixing these weak links you are going to achieve more power to the ground sooner. Because if you have a bushing that is flexing or displacing it is basically stealing torque that is otherwise supposed to be going to the rear wheels.

Heavybody is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V and 94 SLS
    Tom your video is crazy ... All that movement sure would explain the feel of my drivetrain! Looks like I have a list of projects for the V's hibernation this winter

Tom400CFI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I know it. I couldn't believe it when I watched it the first time. Hard to believe engineers felt that amount of compliance was necessary...or O.K.

stever06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

Any one running the one piece aluminum dyno tech driveshaft from G-force. It looks pretty good wondering how its holding up.
    Also anyone running the one piece aluminum from DSS. Both are the same price with a small design change. I like the one piece design. Anyone have any opinions on these drive shafts.

barrok69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

Quote Originally Posted by stever06 View Post
    Any one running the one piece aluminum dyno tech driveshaft from G-force. It looks pretty good wondering how its holding up.
    Also anyone running the one piece aluminum from DSS. Both are the same price with a small design change. I like the one piece design. Anyone have any opinions on these drive shafts.
    I didn't bother with the aluminum ones due to their low rated critical speed of 150mph. These cars can well exceed 150 and I wanted a nice margin of safety factor.

Heavybody is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V and 94 SLS
    Just re read barrok's CF drive shaft thread and I think the condition I have is the "bucking" he described with his old drive shaft...

Looking forward to resolving the drivetrain issue soon it really takes away the enjoyment from driving the V

05MallettV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Mallett CTS-V

Is there anyone in the Midwest, or Detroit area that has a spare stock drive shaft that would like to contribute it to R&D towards a solution? I have some connections to GKN (GM's original supplier) and I would like to start working on a real solution to this. If not, I will commit my own drive shaft once my V goes away for the winter.

stever06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

sorry gotta use mine its daily driver and the whine from the carrier bearings getting worse.

04cts v is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by stever06
    Any one running the one piece aluminum dyno tech driveshaft from G-force. It looks pretty good wondering how its holding up. Also anyone running the one piece aluminum from DSS. Both are the same price with a small design change. I like the one piece design. Anyone have any opinions on these drive shafts.
    I stopped by the DSS shop and was not impressed with their customer service, so I took my business to G-Force. The G-Force 1-piece aluminum driveshaft looks great, was easy to install and made a big difference in my drivetrain feel...plus I got rid of that carrier bearing whine.

I'm not worried about the 150mph restriction...there are not many roads in my area that would permit that type of speed

Highly recommend G-Force...it makes almost as much of a difference in feel as getting a new clutch!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.