Driveshaft Issues......ANY "reliable" remedies? Any reliable aftermarket answers. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Driveshaft Issues......ANY "reliable" remedies? Any reliable aftermarket answers. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hi all has anyone come to a conclusion on what is the best way to go when replacing the drive ...
    stever06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

Re: Driveshaft Issues......ANY "reliable" remedies? Any reliable aftermarket answers.

Hi all has anyone come to a conclusion on what is the best way to go when replacing the drive shaft mine is whistling away. There was no real answer in this thread.

FoD
    FoD is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: Driveshaft Issues......ANY "reliable" remedies? Any reliable aftermarket answers.

Best way? New driveshaft.

05MallettV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Mallett CTS-V

Since this thread was brought back I was wondering if some might help point me in the right direction. I picked up my Mallett V in May. I had it for a couple of weeks and did "spirited pull onto the freeway. Right then I got a very high pitched whine(not dif noise). At very slow speeds 5-10 its sounds like high pitched machining noise. The weird thing is if I stopped the car the noise went away until I did another high throttle acceleration. I am assuming that this is the carrier bearing. There are no vibrations yet.

Fast forward to the present I have done the Revshift diff bushing, and trans insert to try and clear up the clunk, and now the high pitch whine is almost always present. It is completely speed dependent and is usually quiet for the first min of driving or a couple seconds after stopping. I plan to do the motor mounts in the near future, but I don't think it will help.

Anyone else go through this?

Worst case I need to replace the drive shaft but there are so many better ways to spend $700-1000.

PJGross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Here was my "fix":
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tle-issue.html

It's been over a year and no issues. I had another thread for the random high pitched squeal at highway speeds and the fix I had was spraying down the bearing with lube about once every 2 months. Since centering the shaft and supporting it with urethane as in the link above, I have not had to spray the bearing and have not had any whining in over a year........ from my carrier bearing. Plenty of whining from the contents of the two kids seats in back though.....

I doubt my fix would do anything for the vibration, but I certainly wasn't spending 1000 bucks to fix a whine and the shaft banging around down there. My fix was free but for <$50 you can do this even if you have to buy a better caulk gun.

Good luck,
    PJ

stever06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

That looks like a great DIY preventive maintenance for the carrier bearing. But isn't there anyone out there that has replaced their drive shaft with an aftermarket unit that is happy and has a recommendation other than OEM.

barrok69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Maggied

Quote Originally Posted by stever06 View Post
    That looks like a great DIY preventive maintenance for the carrier bearing. But isn't there anyone out there that has replaced their drive shaft with an aftermarket unit that is happy and has a recommendation other than OEM.
    I just put in a carbon fiber 3.25" driveshaft from The Driveshaft Shop. It's only been in for a couple days and I know a couple other people that have been running it for a couple years without issue. I would recommend it. It's a quality piece and wakes up the car in the process of fixing the broken stocker.

FoD
    FoD is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V
    I replaced mine with a Gforce 2 piece. If you don't like the price of the DSS CF driveshaft, this option is around $900. Been running mine for almost a year, and have zero complaints.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Heavybody is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V and 94 SLS
    Quote Originally Posted by barrok69

I just put in a carbon fiber 3.25" driveshaft from The Driveshaft Shop. It's only been in for a couple days and I know a couple other people that have been running it for a couple years without issue. I would recommend it. It's a quality piece and wakes up the car in the process of fixing the broken stocker.
    Keep us posted on how this driveshaft is working out!

The driveline issues in this car are so annoying and seemingly unresolved ... A lot of theses vibration/clunk/whine issues seem to various fixes, people try one solution and it works for them but not the next guy. I was sure my clutch was the issue but the more research I do it seems to be a different problems.

My car whines loudly whenever you down shift to 1st gear when slowing down... As well as having a herky jerky condition when backing off the throttle under rapid acceleration ( it can be very unsettling) all very frustrating and apparently resolved with 1500-2000 dollar solutions that may or may not work

Love the engine!! The driveline leaves a lot to be desired

Pillow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade ESV & 2005 CTS-V

I have a problem with this in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears (with fourth being the absolute worst) at 1500-1700 RPM's.
    Yes, it is called lugging the engine. Try a Cummins diesel next time if you choose to putter around at low RPM.

My car whines loudly whenever you down shift to 1st gear when slowing down... As well as having a herky jerky condition when backing off the throttle under rapid acceleration ( it can be very unsettling) all very frustrating and apparently resolved with 1500-2000 dollar solutions that may or may not work
    Take the 1500-2000 and invest in driving lessons. Your V and passengers will thank you for it.

2007V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V, maggie

I read that anything other than the OEM DS causes more noise from the rear end to be transmitted into the cabin. Is that true for the carbon fiber version?

Tom400CFI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PJGross View Post
    Here was my "fix":
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tle-issue.html

It's been over a year and no issues. I had another thread for the random high pitched squeal at highway speeds and the fix I had was spraying down the bearing with lube about once every 2 months. Since centering the shaft and supporting it with urethane as in the link above, I have not had to spray the bearing and have not had any whining in over a year........ from my carrier bearing. Plenty of whining from the contents of the two kids seats in back though.....

I doubt my fix would do anything for the vibration, but I certainly wasn't spending 1000 bucks to fix a whine and the shaft banging around down there. My fix was free but for <$50 you can do this even if you have to buy a better caulk gun.

Good luck,
    PJ
    I just did this same repair on mine. I think that it will help with vibrations; if the tail end of the shaft falls b/c the rubber is sacked out, then it is no longer in the same plane as the trans output shaft, and I feel that could cause vibes. In the following pics, the shaft is out of the car, and the carrier bearing is upside down to center it...why the filler appears to be on the "top" when it's really on the bottom. Any way, here are a few pics of my free fix...

FRONT SIDE:

REAR SIDE:

Quote Originally Posted by Pillow

Take the 1500-2000 and invest in driving lessons. Your V and passengers will thank you for it.
    Wow thanks for the insight! You must right knowing absolutely nothing about me besides what you gathered from one post ...

Pillow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade ESV & 2005 CTS-V

Read what you posted again in the original and tell me that any of that mess was an indication of smooth driving?

Full throttle to off throttle abruptly of course will cause power transfer issues... Most cars just don't have enough power to notice.

Why would you shift into 1st while moving? The only thing I can think of is entering driveways and other ultra slow maneuvers. Even in Auto-X you rarely, if ever, go back into 1st. If you are rowing the gears down while rolling into traffic lights and such, that is unnecessary wear and tear on the synchros. Just dump it in neutral and coast in.

I'm not trying to tell you how to drive, just look at what you posted and tell me that both scenarios don't sound like you are beating on the V.

Tom400CFI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

This is getting off topic, but I don't see a problem with Heavybody's description of driving. 1500-1700 RPM is absolutely NOT "lugging" the engine. Down shifting? You should be able to do that. I may not shift down to first at every stop...but you should be able to w/no ill consequences. And heavy throttle followed by chopped throttle? Yeah, that is definitely "jerky/rough driving", but again...car should be able to take that with absolutely no problems at all.

My recommendation to Heavybody would be to get under the car, and have a look. A better description of the problem would help here too. "Herky jerky condition when backing off the throttle under rapid acceleration"...well yeah, that is herky jerky driving so....what are you trying to say the car is really doing?

What is the car doing? Is it unsafe? Does it make thumping noises?

First and foremost I do on occasion drive my car aggressively (a situation I am sure almost all of us have done due having purchased a high performance vehicle)

I compare the issue I have against my buddy's 01 Camaro SS which has dynoed 340hp at the wheels (right in the same window as a stock V) his car behaves far differently under the same conditions... I attribute most of that to the more solid drive train (no dual mass flywheel, solid rear axel, I believe single piece drive shaft) the Camaro is more predictable and will take any of the driving inputs I described before with no issues. He has noticed the same issues in my car (I would even admit he is a smoother or better driver than I... Just don't tell him that)

I know the difference between rough/ sloppy driver inputs versus a more mechanical issue at this point in my life ... Looking back i was in a bad mood when I replied ...lol

I feel there is an overall sloppy feeling in the drivetrain and when $$ permits I will address it but I would like to do so as inexpensively as possible... And yes I need to get under the car to investigate further.

----------

And to better answer Toms questions the car is safe it just seems to rock or lurch forward and then back when backing off the throttle (and yes sometimes I do this in a less than smooth fashion which does intensify the problem) but it can happen under smoother and less aggressive conditions as well. Car just seems over sensitive compared to any other vehicle I have driven.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.