Transmission fluid leaking out of top of breather tube at the track - how do I fix?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Transmission fluid leaking out of top of breather tube at the track - how do I fix? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; My last track session, I realized that transmission fluid was blowing out the breather tube at the top of the ...
    repenttokyo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Transmission fluid leaking out of top of breather tube at the track - how do I fix?

My last track session, I realized that transmission fluid was blowing out the breather tube at the top of the transmission. Is there any way that I can prevent this from happening in the future? Note - tranny temps never got super hot, and it was a near-freezing day on the track.

Also, is there a way to add a remote fill to the transmission so I can top it off more easily?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Transmission fluid leaking out of top of breather tube at the track - how do I fi

Am I the only one who has ever had this problem occur during track driving?

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Re: Transmission fluid leaking out of top of breather tube at the track - how do I fi

I have never experienced this issue. what were your tranny temps reading during the track event?

Tranny temp was 194 degrees. The fluid was sloshing out the top of the tube and covering the underside of the car in the immediate area. I noticed it after my third session when there was a puddle under the car. Not a ton leaked out, but enough to make me cancel my fourth session of the day, and there was a good coating on the tranny itself. i am using Amsoil Torque Drive ATF.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    Tranny temp was 194 degrees. The fluid was sloshing out the top of the tube and covering the underside of the car in the immediate area. I noticed it after my third session when there was a puddle under the car. Not a ton leaked out, but enough to make me cancel my fourth session of the day, and there was a good coating on the tranny itself. i am using Amsoil Torque Drive ATF.
    Is it possible you were overfilled to begin with?

I don't think so - because I had the car on a different track a few other times in the weeks leading up to this event, and there was no leakage.

Although - the track where it leaked (NHMS) has two big uphill sections, which could have caused fluid to spill if it was indeed overfilled...

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I don't know what the vent looks like other from an exploded diagram. If the vent will accomodate a rubber/plastic tube you connect it to an overflow tank. Canton Racing, among others, has overflow tanks that might work for this.

PISNUOFF Guest

Mine blows out of the breather tube on the street as well as the track. I haven't looked too much into it.

My biggest concern would be blowing out enough to jeopardize the proper lubrication of the transmission. Should this be something I should worry about?

Thanks for the overflow tank suggestion, Darkman.

01Cummins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Mine was blowing out of the tube on the freeway. I dumped a little fluid out of and extended the tube up the firewall to the top of the motor. We will see what happens...

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Remove the tube and replace it with a hose and catch can this way ur not spillin oil

crjim is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have a 2008 awd and just noticed it myself. During "brisk" driving it is pushing out of the breather and falling down to the exhaust. Obviously this is not good, but how bad is it?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.