Who needs an 8.8?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Who needs an 8.8? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I can have three of them depending if people need them. All iron housings and as to whether or not ...
    nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Who needs an 8.8?

I can have three of them depending if people need them. All iron housings and as to whether or not they have posi will just be a perk. 250$ shipped. Again if ya get one with posi thats a double perk as shipping will be higher (heavier) and no extra cost. There is no guarantee you will get a posi carrier. If there is no posi you will just be shipped the housing and cover. Let me know, the quicker the better. Txt me 817 948 3642 if ya want one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Re: Who needs an 8.8?

A diff without posi isn't worth $0.25.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    A diff without posi isn't worth $0.25.
    Really? Hmmm... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Racing-...8d49b9&vxp=mtr

Maybe I'm mistaken, but in a differential without positraction won't all the torque be sent through the axle which presents the least resistance to turning thereby limiting a vehicle's acceleration?

Further exacerbating my confusion is, if these are just housings, how can they have or not have posi? Does one provide for the clutch packs and the other doesn't? Pardon my ignorance.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

no thats ok. pardon my response! I just have the ford 8.8 housings available for people here who would like to put one in their V, in order to give the car the solid rear-end it deserves. The reason some may or may not have posi is becuase I'm getting them out of donor car (old ford makes) which may, or may not have come with the posi carrier. Thus why if someone needs a housing they may or may not get one which had posi. This is not to say you cannot take a housing and put posi in it, which in most cases is what people do anyway. For instance I put the Eaton tru trac detroit locker in my 8.8 housing which is currently being ran in my V. You are correct in that these cars without posi would be worthless! I just have the housings available so that people can put whatever posi/gearing in their rear they see fit. This was just to help out fellow V owners that would like to do this mod but sourcing their own parts.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have a few Aluminum housings as well!

Manseeno is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V (No Moonroof)

Dumb question, are these IRS housings?

I8URSVT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS-V

Post up about the aluminum diffs if ya find them.

^ they are IRS diffs

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    I think I would rather have the iron diff. In the hopes it would be far more durable. Probably need a diff cooler for track days though.

9t8z28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I am very interested. To identify the rear, you must post the tag# that is on the diff. This will tell you if it is equipped with a posi or not. My phone is currently broken so I cannot text. Please PM me, or email me at 9t8z28@gmail.com

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    I think I would rather have the iron diff. In the hopes it would be far more durable. Probably need a diff cooler for track days though.
    Probably would. Definitely need them in my V2 with iron diff...

Quote Originally Posted by nikdsctsv View Post
    no thats ok. pardon my response! I just have the ford 8.8 housings available for people here who would like to put one in their V, in order to give the car the solid rear-end it deserves. The reason some may or may not have posi is becuase I'm getting them out of donor car (old ford makes) which may, or may not have come with the posi carrier. Thus why if someone needs a housing they may or may not get one which had posi. This is not to say you cannot take a housing and put posi in it, which in most cases is what people do anyway. For instance I put the Eaton tru trac detroit locker in my 8.8 housing which is currently being ran in my V. You are correct in that these cars without posi would be worthless! I just have the housings available so that people can put whatever posi/gearing in their rear they see fit. This was just to help out fellow V owners that would like to do this mod but sourcing their own parts.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have a few Aluminum housings as well!
    Okay, so in other words, the guts determine whether it's got posi or not. Gotcha.

I'm gonna watch this thread ... and any spinoffs.

Overd0s3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V blk/blk

I'm in the market for a new diff. What else would I need? Sorry for the noob question

Well I have no posi units. All four cars that i took the 8.8 from had open carriers. Also I have no cast aluminum ones to sell (one Im keeping) as they are very rare in junkyards apparently. Hopefully once I get back down to Texas I can find more there.

Ok so I have some aluminum housings. Price for just the housing will be 200$ shipped. If I can find 31 pline posi units the price will be 250$ shipped. I have not found any posi units yet so I have to do some more junk yard searching but I'm sure I can find some. Again let me know if you're interested.

9t8z28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I am interested. Please PM me or email me @ 9t8z28@gmail.com when they become available. At the same time, please take a picture of the unit itself and a picture of the tag on the rear

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.