TVS--1900 or 2300?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, TVS--1900 or 2300? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'd like to supercharge my V1. It seems like the TVS is the way to go, but requires a little ...
    fre1102 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None yet

TVS--1900 or 2300?

I'd like to supercharge my V1. It seems like the TVS is the way to go, but requires a little more work. It also seems like there are two different units, a 1900 and a 2300. It seems like the 2300 is the 'larger' unit and pushes more air.

Can anyone point out places to look for more data, or will just one of these work on the V1 with the LS2? I'd like to get started on this over Christmas. So do I want the 1900 or the 2300?

Oh, if either work, I don't have any goals to have the highest RWHP numbers, I just want a faster daily driver. It'd be nice to be able to upgrade it more later, but I'm not looking to set any records.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Re: TVS--1900 or 2300?

Edelbrock eforce. Easiest solution thus far search eforce on lstech

Search just in the CTS-V section, or will anything with an LS2 motor be the same? I thought there were fitment issues specific to the Cadillac.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by fre1102 View Post
    Search just in the CTS-V section, or will anything with an LS2 motor be the same? I thought there were fitment issues specific to the Cadillac.
    You're not going to find a how-to guide. There are about 20 first generation CTS-Vs with superchargers other than the MP112 on them, and each one is unique as its owner.

You're going to be basically doing custom everything if you stick with the LS2. Frankly, your motor isn't robust enough to handle a TVS2300. See multiple recent threads about people blowing up their LS6/LS2 CTS-V motors with 8 psid+. If you're smart, you'll start by buying or building a new forged and balanced 402-416 CID LS3 shortblock with LSA heads ($6-8k), and then applying a G8 TVS2300 kit (another $7-8k). Between the motor swap and the supercharger, you'll want to budget around $7000 to build your own 8.8 kit, develop your own custom triple-pump fueling system with surge tank, and do a Viper spec T-56 overhaul.

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

And after you use your trusty calculator and add all of that up, a V2 starts to make A LOT of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by FoD View Post
    And after you use your trusty calculator and add all of that up, a V2 starts to make A LOT of sense.
    Except that a 418 TSP LS3 with a TVS2300 running 14 lbs of boost is going to do 725 RWHP, weigh 3850 lbs, and cost $20,000 (worst case) on top of what you have right now. I forgot to mention that the $7000 for the driveline upgrade factors in $3600 for the DIY 8.8 job, 1000 HP axles, and a 250 mph carbon fiber driveshaft. $1100 for a 1000 HP McLeod RXT clutch and flywheel leaves you with a very generous $2300 to do whatever you want to do with your stock T56.

A used stock V2 with 60,000 miles will cost $30k after your first generation CTS-V trade-in and weighs 4250 lbs. After you add an AIRAID and 2.55" pulley, it'll do 535 RWHP at 6000 RPM and 550 RWTQ at 3000 RPM.

Assuming you have a nicely modified CTS-V right now, making 400 RWHP, the cost of doing a motor/supercharger upgrade will cost you $61.54 per additional RWHP. Buying that second generation CTS-V will net you a used motor and cost you $222.22 per additional RWHP.

Final V1 weight/power: 0.1883
    Final V2 weight/power: 0.1259 (50% less)

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V
    All the above is true. If you ever plan to sell you're car, and maybe you don't, but I'm sure others do, dumping 30k into a car worth no more than 20k now is bad juju for resale worth.

Quote Originally Posted by FoD View Post
    All the above is true. If you ever plan to sell you're car, and maybe you don't, but I'm sure others do, dumping 30k into a car worth no more than 20k now is bad juju for resale worth.
    Frankly, I don't care about resale. I care about two things:

1. How fast it is.
    2. How desirable it looks (perceived value).

If you're hung up on model years, you'll be locked into a never-ending buy-sell loop and never own a truly awesome car. Unless you can drop $250,000 on a car that's awesome out of the factory.

search in the CTS-V section for a thread by DMM. there is basically a "bolt on" edelbrock e-force that can be installed very near identical to that of the magnuson mp112. http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-c...ery-today.html

If you want a very simple install and dont want to source parts yourself you can buy the part of the 04-07 CTS-V magnuson MP112 kit that includes everything minus the blower/injectors/intake manifold. All you will need it to get creative with an air intake and get a dyno tune. this would be a very straight forward build and cost you between 6-7.5k

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Working on the build thread now...will copy it to this site as well when completed.

rlj5 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ProCharged cts-V -Silver on Black

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Frankly, I don't care about resale. I care about two things:

1. How fast it is.
    2. How desirable it looks (perceived value).

If you're hung up on model years, you'll be locked into a never-ending buy-sell loop and never own a truly awesome car. Unless you can drop $250,000 on a car that's awesome out of the factory.

X2

Doesn't make any difference what it was , I've never been able to get my investment back when I'm building a
    Toy to play with.
    I guess that's why I've always kept vehicles till the wheels fall off & there worth nothing as long as it's what I
    want it to be .
    So,I have to agree 100% with FuzzyLogic on this one.............
    F1-A ProCharged LS2/402 Forged w/AFR 225 heads & Fast 92mm intake |Meth | 1-7/8" kooks w/ Corsa |Stage V Trans by RPM w/ 9" Ford IRS |UUC Shifter |Msd shift lite |custom gauge pod w/dual interceptor scan gauges w/wide band |launch control |Line lock |Hre C-20 wheels |GY gsd3's 255/40/18 front & M/T 305/35/18 DR |Kw Coilovers
    Built & Tuned by EPP---------- 864 rwhp / 812 rwtq
    9" IRS built & installed by---- Madman Racing
    http://s478.photobucket.com/albums/r...view=slideshow

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    You're not going to find a how-to guide. There are about 20 first generation CTS-Vs with superchargers other than the MP112 on them, and each one is unique as its owner.

You're going to be basically doing custom everything if you stick with the LS2. Frankly, your motor isn't robust enough to handle a TVS2300. See multiple recent threads about people blowing up their LS6/LS2 CTS-V motors with 8 psid+. If you're smart, you'll start by buying or building a new forged and balanced 402-416 CID LS3 shortblock with LSA heads ($6-8k), and then applying a G8 TVS2300 kit (another $7-8k). Between the motor swap and the supercharger, you'll want to budget around $7000 to build your own 8.8 kit, develop your own custom triple-pump fueling system with surge tank, and do a Viper spec T-56 overhaul.
    I don't mind some custom work, but I don't want to be the first guy to do anything. If I can't have a kit or a how-to, I at least want another couple guys that have done the same thing to be able to ask questions.

I'll have to think long and hard about a V2, I guess. It looks like I can get a V2 for about $20k more than my V1. If I'm spending $20k anyway, I'll have to decide if I like the V2 better. It'd be nice if I'd have a better car if I dump $20k into the V1, but I have to wonder if the V1 can compete with the V2 as a daily driver. It's hard to find a V2 in a manual, though. At least harder than I thought it would be.

I'll go test drive some V2s. I guess if I can find someone with a supercharged V1 and they'll let me drive it, or take me for a ride, I'll see if I think it's worth the money.

I saw ads for Magnusen superchargers for $4500, I was hoping to scrounge and cobble together a kit for less if I could. Then follow the DIY Ford rear end thread, it looks like you'll be able to make your own brackets soon enough and I can build the rear end.

But there's simply no way I'm doing a motor swap. If that's what it takes, I'll just buy a V2. That's a shame--I'd have thought the LS2 was up to it. But I'm not going to drop $20k into this car just to be as good as a V2. I don't like the V2 as much as the V1, and it's heavier, and I don't need it to make complete economic sense. But for the same money as a V2, I'd need a good argument for not just buying a V2.

So if I don't want to crack open the motor, should I just stick with the Magnusen? Is the TVS really not to be used with an OEM LS2? Guys are advertising Magnusens for ~$4,000. I'd try that.

I don't mind some custom work, but I don't want to be the first guy to do anything. If I can't have a kit or a how-to, I at least want another couple guys that have done the same thing to be able to ask questions.

I'll have to think long and hard about a V2, I guess. It looks like I can get a V2 for about $20k more than my V1. If I'm spending $20k anyway, I'll have to decide if I like the V2 better. It'd be nice if I'd have a better car if I dump $20k into the V1, but I have to wonder if the V1 can compete with the V2 as a daily driver. It's hard to find a V2 in a manual, though. At least harder than I thought it would be.

I'll go test drive some V2s. I guess if I can find someone with a supercharged V1 and they'll let me drive it, or take me for a ride, I'll see if I think it's worth the money.

I saw ads for Magnusen superchargers for $4500, I was hoping to scrounge and cobble together a kit for less if I could. Then follow the DIY Ford rear end thread, it looks like you'll be able to make your own brackets soon enough and I can build the rear end.

But there's simply no way I'm doing a motor swap. If that's what it takes, I'll just buy a V2. That's a shame--I'd have thought the LS2 was up to it. But I'm not going to drop $20k into this car just to be as good as a V2. I don't like the V2 as much as the V1, and it's heavier, and I don't need it to make complete economic sense. But for the same money as a V2, I'd need a good argument for not just buying a V2.

So if I don't want to crack open the motor, should I just stick with the Magnusen? Is the TVS really not to be used with an OEM LS2? Guys are advertising Magnusens for ~$4,000. I'd try that.

Edelbrock eforce.... I have an mp112 and am continually considering switching. You could definitely complete it for under 7k if you source a lot of the parts yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    Edelbrock eforce.... I have an mp112 and am continually considering switching. You could definitely complete it for under 7k if you source a lot of the parts yourself.
    I don't mind ordering all the parts myself and even fabbing some stuff up. I just don't want to stuff a round peg into a square hole. Do you know anyone else that has one in a V1 on a LS2? I saw the psychobilly thread, but it looks like he's got an LS3 or LSA. If I'm getting a new engine, it'll have a V2 wrapped around it.

I don't mind ordering all the parts myself and even fabbing some stuff up. I just don't want to stuff a round peg into a square hole. Do you know anyone else that has one in a V1 on a LS2? I saw the psychobilly thread, but it looks like he's got an LS3 or LSA. If I'm getting a new engine, it'll have a V2 wrapped around it.
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-c...lew-motor.html

Blew up a stock LS6 CTS-V motor using only 9 psid.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.