Cadillac Owners Forum banner

TVS--1900 or 2300?

5K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  TheLostDriver 
#1 ·
I'd like to supercharge my V1. It seems like the TVS is the way to go, but requires a little more work. It also seems like there are two different units, a 1900 and a 2300. It seems like the 2300 is the 'larger' unit and pushes more air.

Can anyone point out places to look for more data, or will just one of these work on the V1 with the LS2? I'd like to get started on this over Christmas. So do I want the 1900 or the 2300?

Oh, if either work, I don't have any goals to have the highest RWHP numbers, I just want a faster daily driver. It'd be nice to be able to upgrade it more later, but I'm not looking to set any records.

#2 ·
Edelbrock eforce. Easiest solution thus far search eforce on lstech

#4 ·
You're not going to find a how-to guide. There are about 20 first generation CTS-Vs with superchargers other than the MP112 on them, and each one is unique as its owner.

You're going to be basically doing custom everything if you stick with the LS2. Frankly, your motor isn't robust enough to handle a TVS2300. See multiple recent threads about people blowing up their LS6/LS2 CTS-V motors with 8 psid+. If you're smart, you'll start by buying or building a new forged and balanced 402-416 CID LS3 shortblock with LSA heads ($6-8k), and then applying a G8 TVS2300 kit (another $7-8k). Between the motor swap and the supercharger, you'll want to budget around $7000 to build your own 8.8 kit, develop your own custom triple-pump fueling system with surge tank, and do a Viper spec T-56 overhaul.

#6 · (Edited)
Except that a 418 TSP LS3 with a TVS2300 running 14 lbs of boost is going to do 725 RWHP, weigh 3850 lbs, and cost $20,000 (worst case) on top of what you have right now. I forgot to mention that the $7000 for the driveline upgrade factors in $3600 for the DIY 8.8 job, 1000 HP axles, and a 250 mph carbon fiber driveshaft. $1100 for a 1000 HP McLeod RXT clutch and flywheel leaves you with a very generous $2300 to do whatever you want to do with your stock T56.

A used stock V2 with 60,000 miles will cost $30k after your first generation CTS-V trade-in and weighs 4250 lbs. After you add an AIRAID and 2.55" pulley, it'll do 535 RWHP at 6000 RPM and 550 RWTQ at 3000 RPM.

Assuming you have a nicely modified CTS-V right now, making 400 RWHP, the cost of doing a motor/supercharger upgrade will cost you $61.54 per additional RWHP. Buying that second generation CTS-V will net you a used motor and cost you $222.22 per additional RWHP.

Final V1 weight/power: 0.1883
Final V2 weight/power: 0.1259 (50% less)

#8 ·
Frankly, I don't care about resale. I care about two things:

1. How fast it is.
2. How desirable it looks (perceived value).

If you're hung up on model years, you'll be locked into a never-ending buy-sell loop and never own a truly awesome car. Unless you can drop $250,000 on a car that's awesome out of the factory.

#18 ·
personally i think the v1 looks better than the v2. i'm planning to do a ls3 based motor with an e-force down the road. with a built rear-end and trans and some suspension work, a built v1 should run circles around its heavier brother.

also, once you start doing more than the "simple" bolt ons on the v2 it gets very expensive as well. Gatta pay to play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.