2006-What's the best cold air intake?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 2006-What's the best cold air intake? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; i have an '06 V, came with a spectreworks air intake, problem is there is no heat shield and the ...
    Hockeyref is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Black CTSV

2006-What's the best cold air intake?

i have an '06 V, came with a spectreworks air intake, problem is there is no heat shield and the company does not even make one! I know I could make a shield, but the clamp does not hold the filter very well either so I want to buy a completely new kit. I have looked at K & N, Lingenfelter and Volant. I like the look of Volant but on their website it seems like they only sell for the "04 adn '05 models. The Lingenfelter looks ok but does not include the intake tube. K & N has always served me well on my truck and my motorcycle so I would be ok with that BUT my first choice would be the Volant - just like the looks of that one. Anyone know if there is a volant that will fit the 2006 CTS-V?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Re: 2006-What's the best cold air intake?

Lingenfelter has a better shield than K&N. K&N looks like it'll let plenty of heat in so your in the same boat. Don't know about Volant. But all you need to do is attach the breather hose to the intake tube to make it fit the 06/07 models.

CAI do not do much on our cars. If you can find a used intake, put the money you saved towards a better mod.

Tony
    '05 Platinum l LPE CAI l Magnaflow l V1 (hardwired), w/ custom mount l UUC shifter l UUC Alcantara shift knob l K9 GEAR rear seat cover lHID fogs lHotchkis sways lCG-Lock l Specter Bushings l FG2s l Ground control 550/600 l MAGGIE 439RWHP/414RWTQ (Dynojet) l Heavys fire extinguisher bracket l Interceptor scan-gauge l Billet pedals l Meth l NO HEADERS l Original diff l 90mm upgrade l 2.6" drive pulley l LS7 clutch w/16lb. FW l Alcantara

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

^ agreed, plus you live in manitoba. the world is your CAI.
    FuzzyLogic and FuzzyLogic like this.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Go Volant, I had K&N and sold it for a Volant after seeing my IAT temps in HP tuners!

Mn800r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 V Coupe, 05 V Mod'd, 91 Fatboy,98 Ultra classic, 07 Tahoe

Quote Originally Posted by etcts-v View Post
    Go Volant, I had K&N and sold it for a Volant after seeing my IAT temps in HP tuners!
    Realistic HP #'s between the two..?

Quote Originally Posted by Mn800r View Post
    Realistic HP #'s between the two..?
    Really depends on the supporting mods you have and tune, by itself a CAI isn't going to do much of anything for you in these cars. But with other supporting mods where flow rate becomes more and more critical with each new component to get the most out of your lumpy cam & high flowing heads etc then it's anyone's guess what kind of HP gains you'll see between the two dependent upon your setup.

The main drawback of the K&N is the weak sauce heat shield it comes with which allow engine temps to heat soat the incoming air which causes pre-detonation and subsequent knock in the cylinders which in turn impacts the amount of timing advance you can work with in your tune as well as the need to add fuel to cool the cylinders (which could lead to too rich of a mixture). If you're working with a stock car the difference between the IAT's you see from a K&N intake setup vs the Volant box setup won't matter. However if you plan power adders and stretching the most from your tune then hotter air is bad, cooler air is good!

Here is a Dyno comparison that was done by the Base CTS guys so take it with a grain of salt, but still a fun read: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tml#post481524

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Save your money.

My tuner (StealthV who was well known on here back in the day) recommended staying with my OEM box and filter, and that's with a Maggie.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Save your money.

My tuner (StealthV who was well known on here back in the day) recommended staying with my OEM box and filter, and that's with a Maggie.
    Agreed, but a Maggie has a huge benefit of forced induction and intercooler, us N/A guys got to take path of least resistance for our air... lol

Thanks for the replies. Hmm - yes the world is my cold air intake in winter here in Manitoba. In Spring and summer though it gets hot here too. Whatever I get has got to be better than just the open filter with no heat shield of any kind that is in place now. Right now I would probably lean towards the Volant - like how it looks.

I read the article, I now have a K&N CAI for sale!. Just didn't like how this whole thing was set up, where's a good place to buy a volant..

I just emailed Volant as their website only lists the package for the 2004/2005 CTS-V, see what kind of response I get tomorrow.

I bought mine on eBay and sold my used K&N for damn near the same price.
    Mn800r and Mn800r like this.

TheLostDriver is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V

There's a way to make the volant work on the 06-07 models. Just gotta do a search. It's a pretty simple mod to my understanding

Well...they say not to drink and shop online...I don't care sailer Jerry has a good eye for a bargain... Just pulled the trigger on the volant on amazon $229...yep it's a sickness this car...I don't even have all the revshift stuff yet...ordered it all but the disc! Damn..I love my V...got a K&N for sale..

^^ amen!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.