Ordered the RS lower control arm bushings, what did you use to press out the old one
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Ordered the RS lower control arm bushings, what did you use to press out the old one in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Need help, pics on how to remove the old bushings so I can continue the upgrades. What tools did you ...
    V for victory is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V, C5 Corvette, 2013 Dodge Durnago R/T

Ordered the RS lower control arm bushings, what did you use to press out the old one

Need help, pics on how to remove the old bushings so I can continue the upgrades. What tools did you use? how long does it take, I'm assuming its an easy one compared to the diff bushing or MM's. Can't wait for some shock bushings too "RS are you listening" .LOL

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

verywhitedevil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V

Re: Ordered the RS lower control arm bushings, what did you use to press out the old

shock bushings would be nice.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Re: Ordered the RS lower control arm bushings, what did you use to press out the old

The closest you'll find right now is this thread. Basically, I broke a 4" c-clamp trying to press them out and wound up drilling into them until they were weak enough to be torn out with a set of vise grips.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ggestions.html

NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic
    The closest you'll find right now is this thread. Basically, I broke a 4" c-clamp trying to press them out and wound up drilling into them until they were weak enough to be torn out with a set of vise grips.

I also bought the RevShift trailing arm bushings during the BF sale along with the trans insert , combining shipping and and 20% off made them a good bargain and have yet to install them. Installed the Trans insert last night with the help of your writeup Fuzzy, thank you! Have yet to drive it to see if it made a difference.

I saw a vague writeup on the TiC site about using a clamp and "some large sockets" for the trailing arm bushings, but it wasn't a complete guide at all. They were that big of a PITA to get out? I couldn't find a writeup either and asked on RS's Facebook page if there were installation instructions but haven't seen a response yet. Maybe they will provide a write up on removal, since there isn't one on their site. Your Trans insert guide should be posted on their site too IMHO.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post

I'm really surprised you broke a C-clamp removing the trailing arm bushings. Mine came out in a matter of a couple of minutes each, and it honestly took very little effort due to how soft they were. I had a chunk of 2" pipe I used and just used a C-clamp to push the bushing out into the pipe. This forum makes it awfully hard to find older posts, but I did find this mention of someone else doing it the same way.

Anyway, with all that said, I've never done lower control arm bushings, so I don't have any advice for those. Let us know what you figure out, V for victory!
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

In retrospect, if I had to do it again, I'd buy one of those little propane torches and burn that thing out. I'll probably pick one up before tackling the subframe bushings next week, because I don't have a second car to drive to Home Depot if something goes wrong. One of these days, I'm going to webcast one of my installations so you can laugh at me freezing my butt off outside!

Revshift is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

The oem trailing arm bushings should come out fairly easily. We use a two jaw puller. You just have to make sure the jaws stay seated and don't pop off while you are tightening it. It should only take a few minutes to remove each oem bushing.

puller-2jaw.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I'm really surprised you broke a C-clamp removing the trailing arm bushings. Mine came out in a matter of a couple of minutes each, and it honestly took very little effort due to how soft they were. I had a chunk of 2" pipe I used and just used a C-clamp to push the bushing out into the pipe. This forum makes it awfully hard to find older posts, but I did find this mention of someone else doing it the same way.

Anyway, with all that said, I've never done lower control arm bushings, so I don't have any advice for those. Let us know what you figure out, V for victory!
    Thanks, I read this thread and apparently glazed over where people were talking about pipe diameters. Thanks!

In retrospect, if I had to do it again, I'd buy one of those little propane torches and burn that thing out. I'll probably pick one up before tackling the subframe bushings next week, because I don't have a second car to drive to Home Depot if something goes wrong. One of these days, I'm going to webcast one of my installations so you can laugh at me freezing my butt off outside!
    I've spent a couple of years in CT, no idea how you're doing all of your work outside with only a carport and one car :-D *kudos*

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Revshift View Post
    The oem trailing arm bushings should come out fairly easily. We use a two jaw puller. You just have to make sure the jaws stay seated and don't pop off while you are tightening it. It should only take a few minutes to remove each oem bushing.
    Dang, that's a better idea than a C-Clamp. I have a smaller 3 jaw puller that I can use, what exactly are you doing with it? Putting the jaw ends on the backside and tightening the bolt/screw against the sleeve or a large washer over the bushing and sleeve to force it out the other side?

Quote Originally Posted by NCOGNITO View Post
    I've spent a couple of years in CT, no idea how you're doing all of your work outside with only a carport and one car :-D
    In a word, "quickly!" Every weekend's worth of modifications have to be concluded by Sunday night--otherwise I can't go to work. I usually work 15-18 hour days on the car on those days.

Sometimes mistakes happen due to fatigue. Like the time I removed the brake calipers to change the rotors and forgot to pump the brakes a couple of times to prime them. Wound up finding out that I had no brakes coming out of my neighborhood at 30 mph, accidentally blew through stop sign, through the intersection, and caught at least three feet of air down the very steep hill into the adjacent neighborhood. Thank heavens I had 800 and 850 in-lb linear springs to keep me from bottoming out and wrecking all four fenders. I landed squarely, too. Definitely one of those "check your pants" experiences.

OK, I just bit the bullet and tackled this project. Went to Sears Hardware and bought several things for the task:

1-1 11/16 socket 3/4 drive
    1- 1/2" threaded bolt 8 inches long
    4- 1/2" washers
    1- 1/2" nut

Tools needed from the big red box:

21MM box wrench and 3/4" 21MM socket
    18MM box wrench For brake caliper
    Electric impact gun or whatever you have
    T30 socket for removal of rotor
    3/4" wrench and socket for using on threaded 8" bolt to extract rubber bushing

This just worked like a charm. Pulled the old one out with no problem. I took some photos but have to resize them to post. working on it now

Parts from Sears
    Attachment 101240

Ready to extract bushing
    Attachment 101241

bushing out clean
    Attachment 101242

Old Bushing out on the floor where it belongs
    Attachment 101243

I will need another 8 inch threaded bolt and nut as the threads were stretched a bit and dont want to chance it when I do the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Revshift View Post

Attachment 101224
    I think my method was very easy and the 1 11/16 socket fit perfectly on the lower control arm, and the old rubber bushing fit right inside the socket when pulled out. Now RS make some shock bushing for the control arm so I can press that POS out too. My car will sit on jack stands until all bushing have arrived and installed at this point.

In a word, "quickly!" Every weekend's worth of modifications have to be concluded by Sunday night--otherwise I can't go to work. I usually work 15-18 hour days on the car on those days.

Sometimes mistakes happen due to fatigue. Like the time I removed the brake calipers to change the rotors and forgot to pump the brakes a couple of times to prime them. Wound up finding out that I had no brakes coming out of my neighborhood at 30 mph, accidentally blew through stop sign, through the intersection, and caught at least three feet of air down the very steep hill into the adjacent neighborhood. Thank heavens I had 800 and 850 in-lb linear springs to keep me from bottoming out and wrecking all four fenders. I landed squarely, too. Definitely one of those "check your pants" experiences.
    LOL - that's usually how my car projects turn out too, I try to finish everything in one shot, regardless of how long it takes. The trans mount insert for example, should have taken an hour and I'm ashamed to admit how long it took me to force the damn thing in there, even though I had read your writeup beforehand and there were basically no tools required! 8-D

Quote Originally Posted by V for victory View Post
    OK, I just bit the bullet and tackled this project. Went to Sears Hardware and bought several things for the task:

1-1 11/16 socket 3/4 drive
    1- 1/2" threaded bolt 8 inches long
    4- 1/2" washers
    1- 1/2" nut

Tools needed from the big red box:

21MM box wrench and 3/4" 21MM socket
    18MM box wrench For brake caliper
    Electric impact gun or whatever you have
    T30 socket for removal of rotor
    3/4" wrench and socket for using on threaded 8" bolt to extract rubber bushing

This just worked like a charm. Pulled the old one out with no problem. I took some photos but have to resize them to post. working on it now
    Thanks for being a guinea pig on this method! I was thinking of doing something similar, using a 36MM deep well axle socket to pull the bushing into. I have a 7" bolt from my homemade diff bushing puller that I can use. I will likely try with my 3-jaw puller to see how well that method works, but going to do it over my vacation; off for 10+ days at the end of the year.

"I have a 7" bolt from my homemade diff bushing puller that I can use"

Please provide me with the info on this set up, and the method you used to drop the Diff and pull the old bushing, as I will be doing that project starting on the 21st when Im off for 8 days.

pato is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

When I removed mine a few months ago, I did it exactly like Victory did. Except I used a 6" C-clamp. One 21mm socket to push the bushing out and 1 larger socket to catch it. It was either a 1+1/8" or 1+1/16". Worked like a charm.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.