Ordered the RS lower control arm bushings, what did you use to press out the old one - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Ordered the RS lower control arm bushings, what did you use to press out the old one in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Have you decided on a bushing that you're putting in there and have you considered adding the CS Block? Most ...
    NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven

Re: Ordered the RS lower control arm bushings, what did you use to press out the old

Have you decided on a bushing that you're putting in there and have you considered adding the CS Block? Most people agree that the block is worth the $30 to prevent upward movement and prolong the life of the bushing. For the puller, I rented the tool from Creative Steel, which I HIGHLY recommend, especially if you're pulling the stock bushing, which can be a total pain in the neck according to others and presssing one in can also be difficult. The CS Tool is VERY well made and VERY heavy duty.

In Lollygagger's writeup, he uses PISSNUOFF's tool, which can be made from a piece of 2" pipe IIRC. The bottom of the CS bushing was ~ 1.75 in and the top of the sleeve was 2.25 in. While I had the tool, I collected some washers that were roughly the same size as the sleeves included with the CS Tool, since the CS bushing should come out much easier than a stock bushing. I haven't written up what I bought yet, but I can try to knock that out over the next day or so.

Here's Lollygagger's writeup, which I followed to a T: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l-removal.html
    Along with Creative Steel's instructions that come with the tool: https://www.creative-steel.com/store...p=installation

Dropping the diff was actually much easier than I predicted, I ran into some other "issues" and have had to redo parts of it multiple times now.

Things that will make it easier:
    1) Getting the car UP in the air so it's not so claustrophobic and room for a creeper.
    2) I didn't drop my exhaust, since I had a hell of time getting it back on last time and didn't want to replace the band clamps again. You CAN work around it, but it would be easier not to have to.
    3) 21mm ratchet wrench is a must have for the rear bolts. You can get a short 21mm socket in there to initially loosen and for final tightening, but you'll need it to get the bolts loose and completely drop the diff if you're adding the bushing block.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Ordered the RS lower control arm bushings, what did you use to press out the old

Quote Originally Posted by NCOGNITO View Post
    Thanks, I read this thread and apparently glazed over where people were talking about pipe diameters. Thanks!
    I said 2", but honestly I don't know what size it is. It's a pipe nipple a couple/few inches long that I picked up at HD or Lowe's specifically for this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by V for victory View Post
    I will need another 8 inch threaded bolt and nut as the threads were stretched a bit and dont want to chance it when I do the other side.
    Nice work, but that's not a lower control arm bushing. That's the trailing arm bushing (which happens to be what everyone else was talking about). I thought you had some new bushings from RS, so I was excited to see what you came up with. Now I'm .

DisposableHero is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

I don't see the lower control arm bushings on revshift's site?

Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    I don't see the lower control arm bushings on revshift's site?
    That's because what he calls a lower control arm bushing is really a trailing arm bushing.

V for victory is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V, C5 Corvette, 2013 Dodge Durnago R/T

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    That's because what he calls a lower control arm bushing is really a trailing arm bushing.
    OMG, you are so right, It is the trailing arm...what was I thinking when I wrote the heading. Sorry of the false sense of new products that dont exist.

No worries. RS is supposedly working on control arm bushings, too, so I thought maybe you had gotten an advance set of those.

V for victory is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V, C5 Corvette, 2013 Dodge Durnago R/T

Quote Originally Posted by NCOGNITO View Post
    Have you decided on a bushing that you're putting in there and have you considered adding the CS Block? Most people agree that the block is worth the $30 to prevent upward movement and prolong the life of the bushing. For the puller, I rented the tool from Creative Steel, which I HIGHLY recommend, especially if you're pulling the stock bushing, which can be a total pain in the neck according to others and presssing one in can also be difficult. The CS Tool is VERY well made and VERY heavy duty.

In Lollygagger's writeup, he uses PISSNUOFF's tool, which can be made from a piece of 2" pipe IIRC. The bottom of the CS bushing was ~ 1.75 in and the top of the sleeve was 2.25 in. While I had the tool, I collected some washers that were roughly the same size as the sleeves included with the CS Tool, since the CS bushing should come out much easier than a stock bushing. I haven't written up what I bought yet, but I can try to knock that out over the next day or so.

Here's Lollygagger's writeup, which I followed to a T: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l-removal.html
    Along with Creative Steel's instructions that come with the tool: https://www.creative-steel.com/store...p=installation

Dropping the diff was actually much easier than I predicted, I ran into some other "issues" and have had to redo parts of it multiple times now.

Things that will make it easier:
    1) Getting the car UP in the air so it's not so claustrophobic and room for a creeper.
    2) I didn't drop my exhaust, since I had a hell of time getting it back on last time and didn't want to replace the band clamps again. You CAN work around it, but it would be easier not to have to.
    3) 21mm ratchet wrench is a must have for the rear bolts. You can get a short 21mm socket in there to initially loosen and for final tightening, but you'll need it to get the bolts loose and completely drop the diff if you're adding the bushing block.
    Thanks, just ordered the CS block and their Diif removal tool, both will arrive on this Saturday. Off next week with much to do, MM's, Diff bushing and finish the trailing arm bushing install.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.