Cadillac Owners Forum banner

GForce (Dynotech) Driveshaft vs. DriveShaftShop 3.5"?

8K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  2005_CTS-V 
#1 ·
Who has em? Thoughts/reviews? I am in need of a new one, and have decided to go with one of these. Both are 3.5", aluminum, one-piece. DSS is local to me, so the logistics are easier for me to go with them...

Those who have the Dynotech shafts, what are your impressions thusfar? I know about the modded shifter problems with the Dynotechs. Anyone have issues with a short-shifter and the DSS shaft?

#3 ·
Thanks Darkman...I've read through that thread. I'm looking for anyone who has the DSS driveshaft really, with reviews. I can get a DSS shaft for substantially less than the Dynotech, and can pick it up rather than have to have it shipped.

#4 ·
I don't have an aftermarket dirveshaft yet, but based on my research Dynotech seems to have better credentials than DSS. Additionally, I was impressed with Dynotech's quick and honest responsiveness to my questions about the critical speed of their one-piece offerings. (see the other thread). For drag racing and the street, their one-piece drive shafts are attractive alternatives to stock. If you are going one-mile/two-mile speed trials or to Bonneville you will probably need a two-part shaft to get a higher critical speed.

#6 ·
I cannot comment on the G-force shaft from first hand experience, but I do know Dynotech makes excellent shafts. Have heard nothing but good things about Chris and G-force.

I will also say that I have seen the DSS shaft in person and run their axles in my V. I know Frank (owner of DSS) and DSS makes top notch products, and that if you ever had any issue related to that shaft he will not hesitate to help you out and take care of you. If/when I upgrade my rear diff, I will be speaking to Frank. I'm a fan of supporting local businesses too.

BTW do you drive a black V1? Did I meet you at Cars and Coffee a couple months ago? (Kyle, Silver V1, Hydrodipped engine cover)

#8 ·
I haven't tried a DSS shaft for the V, but I've had various aftermarket shafts (including DSS) on other cars (mainly Camaros) and I wouldn't necessarily say that the Dynotech that I just put on is anything ultra-special. It is well made but still has it's share of low frequency vibration from 55-70 on a coast. If you can get a slip shaft with the same components made for less, it's worth trying out.

If the ~130mph limit that Darkman calculated is any issue for you what so ever, go for the 4". Plenty of clearance IF you don't have an aftermarket shifter... If you do, I wouldn't risk it. Barely fit the 3.5" with my ground down UUC.

#9 ·
I have a PISNUOFF shifter, and will be going with a 3.5". I will not be tracking this car, so I don't see a need for more than 130MPH. While installing my short throw, there is quite a bit of clearance from the bottom of Brian's shifter to the stock DS. Hopefully the 3.5" will fit without issue.

#10 ·
i have the DSS ds but not the stock rear end. so take what i have to say with that in mind

the center ds bearing is stout. almost double the size of the stocker. the DSS is actually lighter than the stock one even though it looks much different.. The main negative i have encountered is that the center bracket that DSS has for the V1 need retweeking imo. when people install the DS as it comes from dss there is alot of vibs. i installed a small spacer between the body and the center bearing support. I get a Vib at certain RPMs and certain gears. not always in the same spot on the tach. its not a deal breaker for me but i notice it.

#11 ·
no way a 4" shaft fits. the 3.5" requires modification with anything but a stock shifter. I am not aware of anyone with one piece ds, that did not already have some sort of shifter mod. Darkman is correct in the responses on critical speed regarding the shafts. to the OP, sounds like your mind is made, support your local shop. so far I really love my one-piece ds and need to focus on the sloppy shifter setup. I have already bent two Katech short shifters and they say I am the only one bending forged steel. whatever. I wich someone else would check the katech shifters so they would quit blaming me on this.

#12 ·
I have already bent two Katech short shifters and they say I am the only one bending forged steel. whatever. I wich someone else would check the katech shifters so they would quit blaming me on this.
What the heck are you doing? Shifting while sitting on the roof with a four foot breaker bar poking out of the sunroof? It's a solid piece of billet stainless steel. You're ten times more likely to break the shifter linkage.

#13 ·
doing nothing but driving normal. I have not even been to the strip to blame it on that. just FN wierd. don't even drive it every day anymore.

----------

I only noticed they were bent when the first time I installed the clutch and now this time when installing the driveshaft. other than a visual, only noticed slight change in shifting. I would have never checked it other than that. guarantee if more people would check, they migh be surprised. I am not blaming them. I am just looking for a good alternative.

#19 ·
DSS started using a longer CV on the shifter end of the shaft for clearance which has worked well for shifter clearance. However, my DSS 1 piece vibrated from day one even after being rebalanced and after 10k miles, the CVs got clunky, the vibes were getting bad and the owner graciously and apologetically gave me a complete refund.

Went with a Voodoochiken rebuilt factory shaft and am very happy with it. The key to using it will be making sure the transmission tailshaft is dead straight in line with the front half of the driveshaft and if you've changed motor or transmission mounts, you could have pissed it off. I put UMI motor mounts in my car and measured that the engine was a full 1/2" lower than it was with the original blown out factory motor mounts they replaced and only after lowering the mid-shaft bearing mount by 1/2" did my car finally get happy.

#21 ·
I had the latest design which included the extra long front CV and it just didn't work out. Wonder which shaft you have, the older design or the newer design?

It was a beautiful piece and I wanted it to work but....amazing how some things work for some and don't work for others....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.