GForce (Dynotech) Driveshaft vs. DriveShaftShop 3.5"?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, GForce (Dynotech) Driveshaft vs. DriveShaftShop 3.5"? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Who has em? Thoughts/reviews? I am in need of a new one, and have decided to go with one of ...
    FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

GForce (Dynotech) Driveshaft vs. DriveShaftShop 3.5"?

Who has em? Thoughts/reviews? I am in need of a new one, and have decided to go with one of these. Both are 3.5", aluminum, one-piece. DSS is local to me, so the logistics are easier for me to go with them...

Those who have the Dynotech shafts, what are your impressions thusfar? I know about the modded shifter problems with the Dynotechs. Anyone have issues with a short-shifter and the DSS shaft?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: GForce (Dynotech) Driveshaft vs. DriveShaftShop 3.5"?

FoD

Thanks Darkman...I've read through that thread. I'm looking for anyone who has the DSS driveshaft really, with reviews. I can get a DSS shaft for substantially less than the Dynotech, and can pick it up rather than have to have it shipped.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I don't have an aftermarket dirveshaft yet, but based on my research Dynotech seems to have better credentials than DSS. Additionally, I was impressed with Dynotech's quick and honest responsiveness to my questions about the critical speed of their one-piece offerings. (see the other thread). For drag racing and the street, their one-piece drive shafts are attractive alternatives to stock. If you are going one-mile/two-mile speed trials or to Bonneville you will probably need a two-part shaft to get a higher critical speed.

FoD

I don't plan on tracking my V. It is my fun car, but I don't see the track in it's future. My main bearing on my DS is squealing something awful, and I just want to replace it.

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I cannot comment on the G-force shaft from first hand experience, but I do know Dynotech makes excellent shafts. Have heard nothing but good things about Chris and G-force.

I will also say that I have seen the DSS shaft in person and run their axles in my V. I know Frank (owner of DSS) and DSS makes top notch products, and that if you ever had any issue related to that shaft he will not hesitate to help you out and take care of you. If/when I upgrade my rear diff, I will be speaking to Frank. I'm a fan of supporting local businesses too.

BTW do you drive a black V1? Did I meet you at Cars and Coffee a couple months ago? (Kyle, Silver V1, Hydrodipped engine cover)

FoD

Quote Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
    BTW do you drive a black V1? Did I meet you at Cars and Coffee a couple months ago? (Kyle, Silver V1, Hydrodipped engine cover)
    Nope, not me. Redline V. Thanks for the info on DSS.

LS6Steve is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

I haven't tried a DSS shaft for the V, but I've had various aftermarket shafts (including DSS) on other cars (mainly Camaros) and I wouldn't necessarily say that the Dynotech that I just put on is anything ultra-special. It is well made but still has it's share of low frequency vibration from 55-70 on a coast. If you can get a slip shaft with the same components made for less, it's worth trying out.

If the ~130mph limit that Darkman calculated is any issue for you what so ever, go for the 4". Plenty of clearance IF you don't have an aftermarket shifter... If you do, I wouldn't risk it. Barely fit the 3.5" with my ground down UUC.

FoD

I have a PISNUOFF shifter, and will be going with a 3.5". I will not be tracking this car, so I don't see a need for more than 130MPH. While installing my short throw, there is quite a bit of clearance from the bottom of Brian's shifter to the stock DS. Hopefully the 3.5" will fit without issue.

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

i have the DSS ds but not the stock rear end. so take what i have to say with that in mind

the center ds bearing is stout. almost double the size of the stocker. the DSS is actually lighter than the stock one even though it looks much different.. The main negative i have encountered is that the center bracket that DSS has for the V1 need retweeking imo. when people install the DS as it comes from dss there is alot of vibs. i installed a small spacer between the body and the center bearing support. I get a Vib at certain RPMs and certain gears. not always in the same spot on the tach. its not a deal breaker for me but i notice it.

verywhitedevil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V

no way a 4" shaft fits. the 3.5" requires modification with anything but a stock shifter. I am not aware of anyone with one piece ds, that did not already have some sort of shifter mod. Darkman is correct in the responses on critical speed regarding the shafts. to the OP, sounds like your mind is made, support your local shop. so far I really love my one-piece ds and need to focus on the sloppy shifter setup. I have already bent two Katech short shifters and they say I am the only one bending forged steel. whatever. I wich someone else would check the katech shifters so they would quit blaming me on this.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by verywhitedevil View Post
    I have already bent two Katech short shifters and they say I am the only one bending forged steel. whatever. I wich someone else would check the katech shifters so they would quit blaming me on this.
    What the heck are you doing? Shifting while sitting on the roof with a four foot breaker bar poking out of the sunroof? It's a solid piece of billet stainless steel. You're ten times more likely to break the shifter linkage.

verywhitedevil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V

doing nothing but driving normal. I have not even been to the strip to blame it on that. just FN wierd. don't even drive it every day anymore.

----------

I only noticed they were bent when the first time I installed the clutch and now this time when installing the driveshaft. other than a visual, only noticed slight change in shifting. I would have never checked it other than that. guarantee if more people would check, they migh be surprised. I am not blaming them. I am just looking for a good alternative.

Cadillac_Stokes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I now have this problem......FoD have you resolved yet?

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

I have the Geforce setup and I absolutely love it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.