Hp# vs $
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Hp# vs $ in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I bought a 2005 ctsv about 6mo. Ago. By far the best thing I've ever bought (I'm only 27 ...
    253ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    So I bought a 2005 ctsv about 6mo. Ago. By far the best thing I've ever bought (I'm only 27 so I haven't bought much I guess). What's cooler than a luxury car that sounds like an old muscle car? Nothing IMO.

Cut to the chase. After watching hours of videos on youtube and staying up way too late on this forum I'm really not sure where to begin. I'd like to add hp. Get to somewhere in the 5-700 range I think. If someone who's been there done that could tell me what I'm getting myself into and the best/ most cost effective way to get there. Also any tips for along the way? I.e replace the rear end before I blow it up... Also if anyone lives near Seattle and knows a local reputable shop that could do the work and tune it that'd be great. Or else I was thinking about finding one that does Camaro and corvettes... Thanks
    [COLOR="Silver"]
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Re: Hp# vs $

If you want to crest 500 RWHP while keeping the other characteristics of the car up to par, you're going to be putting in about $15,000 if you do all of the work yourself. Even then, you may (depending on your intended application) be at risk of destroying the differential, which will cost you another $4,000 to upgrade to an 8.8" IRS, or $6,800 for a 9" IRS. 700 RWHP is going to cost you about $30,000 if you do it all yourself. If you decide to have a shop do it all for you, don't be surprised when they charge $80-90/hour.

A more realistic goal (i.e.: reaching 400 RWHP) will probably run you around $7,000, including tools and parts. It's a great introduction to wrenching on cars. If I were you, I'd try my hand at installing a LS7 clutch. If that doesn't break you, then transition to handling mods. Torque is only one small piece of going fast. Recommend reading the book Going Faster! by the Skip Barber school. It's the best performance mod you can invest in right now, in my opinion.
    JPGIII and JPGIII like this.

Thanks. The problem with doing it myself is I don't have a Garage :/ or the tools. And I figured it would be worth the money to pay someone who knows what they're doing.

So it looks like I would be better off replacing the ls6 rather than modding it... I've got about 10k to play with in the next few months. I wanted to do exhaust and some cosmetic stuff first though.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 253ctsv View Post
    Thanks. The problem with doing it myself is I don't have a Garage :/ or the tools. And I figured it would be worth the money to pay someone who knows what they're doing.

So it looks like I would be better off replacing the ls6 rather than modding it... I've got about 10k to play with in the next few months. I wanted to do exhaust and some cosmetic stuff first though.
    With 10k, you can get into the 400+rwhp (~500 crank horsepower) without much issue. 10k should get you a good heads\cam setup, ported tb, headers and tune IMO. That in itself would put you in the low to mid 400s (420-440rwhp is what we see on avg) but I'm unsure on what they'll charge you for it. You'll have to shop around on that one.

I spent ~$60 fabbing up a FFV type intake tube, $625 for Pacesetter Headers, Off road extensions, ARP bolts, and wrap. Dropped another $375 for electrical exhaust cutouts. Removed cats and kept stock catback. Then paid $500 for tune. Total was 1560 just on parts. Installation for everything probably came out to about $300 for me. I paid about 240 to have headers put on... and paid about 60 to have the Y pipes from the cutouts welded in place. Thats from 330 to 370+rwhp.

With 8 more grand, you should be able to do alot, especially if you get it all done in 1 shot.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    $4500 for a drivetrain from Creative Steel, clutch of your choice, intake/exhaust of your choice... And 150 shot nitrous... That way you can tell people they got whooped on by a stock ls6

runsfromdacops is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V built 383. 875/860RW pump/met

best bang for the buck. heads, cam,headers and a fast 92im/tb combo. your also going to want a new clutch flywheel adn ls7 slave regardless of the mods you do.
    all that should put you around 425-450 whp,

if y0u oneed alittle more power then you can do a 100-150 shot on top.

also you can look into a maggie.

also concider that if you beat on the car the stock diff WILL break.not if but when.
    so set aside 2k ish for a v2 diff or 4k for the CS 8.8 diff

-alex
    odthetruth and odthetruth like this.

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

Welcome.

Why do you want so much horsepower?

I think that a stock V is a very balanced car(i.e. noise/power/handling), adding that much power and leaving the rest of the car completely stock would be a waste of money and time.

Thanks Alex. I'd like to supercharge, not so much nos though. But I know if I supercharge the added compression and heat means I need a slew of other things with it right? Which I know not much about. I was kind of hoping someone's done it before n could tell me exactly what they did and how much it was. Maybe that's too optimistic lol.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Andringa
    Welcome.

Why do you want so much horsepower?

I think that a stock V is a very balanced car(i.e. noise/power/handling), adding that much power and leaving the rest of the car completely stock would be a waste of money and time.
    Well I'm a guy and I'm 27 and I want a fast bad ass car. I can't have some d bag rolling up next to me in a 500hp Honda running his mouth (I know one) I know other things will come in the next few years as far as handling and i know ill need to drop some cash on a rear end too. As far as noise I'm not sure what I'd upgrade there I want it to be louder. Cosmetics, I want to get all the chrome and wheels black chrome and windows tinted, the car is more or less pleasing to the eye already. So I'm not really sure what you mean by "waste of money". Unless your talking about waiting to upgrade suspension?

runsfromdacops is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V built 383. 875/860RW pump/met

so if you want to go supercharged

a used maggie kit i think should be around 4k
    i good cam is going to be 300$
    and header are around 400ish
    plus a good clutch setup id say 800 ish to be safe

If you want to go the Maggie route I personally wouldn't do the cam unless you're dead set on it... Ls6 cam is a good cam... If you have e85 in your area that's the best thing you can do... It'll require a ton of fuel, so a custom fuel pump will be necessary... That will bring you to the 500whp mark or higher

[/COLOR]What's e85? And would it be bad to have a big cam with a supercharger? Also do I then need new pistons and internals? If I can get to 500ish with that I might as well get new heads n stuff too and push it.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 253ctsv View Post
    [/COLOR]What's e85? And would it be bad to have a big cam with a supercharger? Also do I then need new pistons and internals? If I can get to 500ish with that I might as well get new heads n stuff too and push it.
    E85 is fuel made of 15% AND 85% ethanol. It offers high octane, which prevents knock, and provides cooling from the alcohol. This allows, all else equal, higher compression ratios and more timing advance. However, the volumetric energy content (energy per gallon) is less than regular gasoline such that E85 builds usually require larger capacity fuel pumps and/or tanks. Additionally, E85 should contemplate conversion back to normal fuel since the availabilty is limited to certain areas. Finally E85 may disappear altogether at some point since it is not good for the environment.

Ah thanks. I'd likely not want to go that rout...

So if I get the new motor and tranny mounts, clutch and fly wheel. Is it possible to get 5-700whp with Maggie, full exhaust with headers, heads and cam for 10-15k? What else might help me get a little more hp or keep from blowing it up? Should I also be looking for things like forged pistons and titanium valves/pushrods ect?

----------

I guess maybe it would have been easier if I never asked this question and just spent my week off for Christmas picking through the forums :/

Sounds to me like you're better off A using nitrous.... Or B building a stroker motor if you want that much power... Or C do more research and reevaluate

I8URSVT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS-V

maggie is maxed out at ~500ish. I'm looking into eventually doing an LS3 top end and then going with an E-force supercharger (I've got a LS2 not an LS6). its bigger and you can run more boost without maxing it out. But you will likely need to upgrade the internals to handle the higher boost...and if your upgradding internals then you might as well go stroker...it just snowballs.

best advice is to do as much research as you can and only do things once and the way you want it the first time. make sure your combo will work well together. If you cant figure it out, make sure you pay someone who knows what they are doing...last thing you want is to spend all that money and then blow it up and have nothing and start all over.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.