Hp# vs $ - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Hp# vs $ in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Proper insulation will delay that from happening...
    Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    Proper insulation will delay that from happening
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

253ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidmarcx
    Proper insulation will delay that from happening
    I already had the problem with the plug. Need to get something to shield it. Was hoping maybe no cats would help too

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    Well getting headers does move the cats, but again if things aren't well insulated its only a matter of time...

dedeaux89 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Re: Hp# vs $

Fried my starter with stock cats and manifolds. Realized I needed to shield the new MSD starter I had from heat, I bought some Kooks 1 7/8 headers wrapped them and installed the starter with heat shield surrounding it at the same time. Feel more confident that I'm not going to fry it again

Hammar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Throwing another log on the opinion blaze... I've pieced my '05 together over a couple years, and really enjoy it. I've got similar goals as you noted early on and ENJOY THE PATH TO GET THERE AS MUCH AS THE DESTINATION. (ie: a V2 might be ~same money, but I take a lot of pride in what I built myself). That said, here's my 'almost dream V1' set up.

LS9 clutch
    Creative Steel rearend
    Hawk pads and rotors
    Bushings, short-throw shifter, .....
    Innovate Wideband and ?? boost gage

- do the foundation stuff first, while you still have budget in hand

Then headers in to the stock resonator.
    Oversized damper
    MP112 Maggy kit from Hendryx. At ~9.5psi, it's blowing a lot of hot air. Methanol injection or a little nitrous in the intake calms it down some.

I've never had the oil pan or valve covers off. Just change the oil, keep the timing modest, enjoy the heck out of it.

I'm close to 500 at the wheels, a meth kit and some timing might spin the number. I'm just not that worried about needing the dyno chart.

It's a riot to drive, requires very little work and I can still pull 26mpg on the highway. I just rolled 126k miles this past weekend, it might be a time bomb, but so far..... it just keeps tickin I'll do forged internal when it blows, but I think they're very overrated for what you're talking.

I'll refrain from adding to the 5 pages of 'your opinion is stupid' comments. Hope you find what works for you.

Hammar
    Maggied 2005 CTSV

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 253ctsv View Post

As much as I like hearing your opinion of what I should do with my car and time it's not really necessary. I didn't ask how I can be a professional race car driver. So what if I build a fast car that ill never have the ability to push to the limits. I have a 2005 Yamaha r1 that ill never be capable of riding anywhere near the potential that it has. So what? I still like it. I wouldn't wanna trade it for a 600 just because I can't push it to its limits. So while I appreciate your opinion, all your negativity isn't needed.

Yes I know ill end up spending more than 10g on my car. Yes I know I'm going to need a new rear end. But right now for the next few months this is what I have and this is what I'm looking for.
    Negativity?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by I8URSVT View Post
    the V2 is ~450-500lbs heavier and bigger. While i have not driven a V2, I've read that some people think that the V1 was more fun to drive. The V2 has more power so in that regard there isnt a comparison and the creature comforts are more "refined". The V1 is raw. I think they both look great, but I like the looks of the V1 better.

I think a V1 with V2 power and upgraded rearend and suspension would be the ultimate.

The fuel system will certainly be the tricky part...there are a bunch of engine builds on corvette and other forums, so you know what combos work well and make what kind of power.
    I still miss my V1. I was very happy with its 440hp and better tossability. The V2 is so refined and amazing. But its not perfect. I'm interested in seeing how light the Gen 3 CTS is...

Negativity was in response to people telling me to buy driving classes, sell it and get a better platform or other "advice" I was generally not interested in.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    I think they were saying stuff like that cuz they though you were a troll in here or something. For the money this car is sic. I have had a bunch of compliments on it even though its not the fastest. Just do a little research, find a reputable local shop and do a head, cam, intake mani, header and exhaust package. Hopefully you can pick up a used intake Mani and maybe a set of used headers or get a deal on pacesetters, have the stock head worked on to save some cash and you might be able to keep it under $5k and maybe throw in some anti hop axles for another $1k (since you don't have a garage to work on em in). You will be pretty impressed. I gather that you have driven Hondas before this? An LS block V8 is totally different. Where in any 4 banger your power band is in the stratosphere, the LS6/2 in these things has power everywhere. A good h/c/i/e combo that works together will give you alot of power under the curve and that is what's important really. Though, my last 4 banger turbo was faster than the V it was also lighter and FWD(eww).

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

To add to the above, the reason people were telling you to get lessons was not because they thought you can't drive...it was for YOUR safety, and OTHERS! No one wants you to kill anyone, including yourself. Lots of power in a RWD car can be dangerous if you have never driven one/had that much power before. You Tube dumbasses with Lambos crashing, or the 12 year old Bieber wannabe that crashed his M3. It wasn't an attack on you.

I do agree with the above. Do the basic mods, then tackle the top of the motor. If you still "need" more, then do the bottom end, or go F/I...or both!

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

The throttle works both ways.

Mike Hailwood

Never had a Honda. First street bike I bought weighed 400lbs and has 180hp. I think like a 10.1 quarter mile from the factory. People automatically think "you're gonna kill yourself" we'll I didn't. And I could easily do just as much harm in a 400hp car. So while I appreciate the "concern" I wasn't asking for a "what I would do" or "what you should do". I asked how I could make my car over 500whp. Maybe one in 10 posts actually addresses my question and I'd like to just delete it now. Maybe an admin could help me out with that.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

^^ Yo sorry I missed you last weekend got in trouble with the lady and was in the dog house all weekend, haha. If you're free this sunday, swing by the house, I'll e-mail you my address!

I'm going to sum up my whole problem. I asked a question. Rather than answer my question 4/5 people tell me what I should do and be happy with instead. I think most people would find that annoying. And then I have to come on here and defend myself. How do I delete this whole thing?

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Dude, it's the internet. People say all kinds of obnoxious shit because they're anonymous. Don't take it personally, man. Look up these guys histories-- it's full of people saying the same kind of shit to them. It's cool man, you seem like a level-headed dude. Stick around and pretty soon you'll be razzing the new guys too.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Thread closed. I think OP figured it out.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.