Hp# vs $ - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Hp# vs $ in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; 700 wheel HP : Possible on a v1? yes. Worth the money and time, taking into account the v2 is ...
    Overd0s3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V blk/blk

Re: Hp# vs $

700 wheel HP : Possible on a v1? yes. Worth the money and time, taking into account the v2 is avail for <40k now? NO
    Sell and go V2.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Skidmarcx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE!
    I have to agree with the above statement... Settle for a realistic 500whp and put money into the suspension and drivetrain... RevShift is releasing control arm bushings soon which is long overdue for the car. The car is more than capable of performing with the appropriate mods

I8URSVT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS-V

the V2 is ~450-500lbs heavier and bigger. While i have not driven a V2, I've read that some people think that the V1 was more fun to drive. The V2 has more power so in that regard there isnt a comparison and the creature comforts are more "refined". The V1 is raw. I think they both look great, but I like the looks of the V1 better.

I think a V1 with V2 power and upgraded rearend and suspension would be the ultimate.

The fuel system will certainly be the tricky part...there are a bunch of engine builds on corvette and other forums, so you know what combos work well and make what kind of power.

fre1102 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None yet

Quote Originally Posted by Overd0s3 View Post
    700 wheel HP : Possible on a v1? yes. Worth the money and time, taking into account the v2 is avail for <40k now? NO
    Sell and go V2.
    That's the thread I'd like to read. I'm going through these forums wondering if I'd just dropped all the money and angst some of these guys seemed to (the pictures of the silver V with the hood bulge make me cringe at the time and money that it must have taken to get from OEM to there--I'm imagining a sea of AN fittings under that hood and two years of lost weekends and UPS packages), would I have preferred to have dropped the V1 at stock and just gone V2. Or more to the point, should *I* trade my V1 in on a V2 or open up my wallet and start adding parts? You could probably get a used V2 for your car and $20 - 25k. I guess the question is would the same $25k spent on a V1 give you a car that's more fun.

I have no idea. Anyone have a FrankenV1 and have any time in a V2 to compare?

fej
    fej is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Thunder Gray CTS-V
    A good friend of mine has a Roush Yates NASCAR truck series motor in a 66 mustang coupe. It's nasty, like roll into the throttle at 75mph on the freeway and carry the car sideways for some time nasty. 850fwhp. For $25k you could get something very similar. Not sure what the Chevy version would be, but $25-30k is a decent ball park. Then another $15k in supporting mods and you would have one hell of a conversation piece, and a real fast car heh

Fej

fre1102 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None yet

Yeah, except I'm really not looking for a conversation piece. I just want my V...only more so. More grunt, more brakes, sharper handling, etc., etc., etc. Just...more. Not really any set goal, just more than I have now. And when I have that, probably more after that. Which is probably what the guys with 700 h.p. and $5000 of anodized fittings under their hoods wanted when they first took out the credit card, too.

I'm just wondering if the guys that did it would do it again, or if they'd just start with a V2. I have no idea, really.

I've got a '68 GT convertible with a 390 and a Tri-Power in the garage for when I want to make myself suffer with a project car. The V I just want to drive. I'm willing to take it apart, same as everything else, but I'm not particularly interested in braking any new ground. Of course, I don't think I need 700 h.p., either.

(Which is probably what those other guys said, too.. )

The most ambitious I was feeling was waiting to see if anyone had a roadmap for the Edelbrok (E-Force?) supercharger on the V1, since it seems to be the preferred alternative to the Magnusson. But it looks like you're not just buying and wrenching--some stuff doesn't fit, or something? There's no kit? Put on those FG4 (or 2, or whatever the list recommended) shocks that I got on eBay and see if it needed new springs or something. There's simply no way I'm making up my own fuel dump tank for this car. At least not while I'm driving it to work.

I was just wondering if I should sell the shocks on eBay, forget the supercharger and just get a V2. Or is a supercharged V1 every bit as fun as a V2?

253ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I'm not going to lie. When I bought mine I expected it to be faster. Not that it isn't fast or anything. I just thought it'd be more scary fast...

I'd get a v2 if that's what you want... And because they have potential... They are nice cars I'd get one if I had the money, but I LMAO at people that make threads "traded my v1 for a v2" "it's so much better with more power"... Steep price to pay to go bottom 12's if you ask me. You can easily get a v1 to do that for much less

Overd0s3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V blk/blk

Quote Originally Posted by 253ctsv View Post
    I'm not going to lie. When I bought mine I expected it to be faster. Not that it isn't fast or anything. I just thought it'd be more scary fast...
    Everytime I buy a car I think this, V was included. You will learn to drive it and use its power band better and it will seem faster, trust me. Give it a month and you'll know what I mean... while you debate, order yourself a short throw. Worth its weight in gold imo

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

As much as I like hearing your opinion of what I should do with my car and time it's not really necessary. I didn't ask how I can be a professional race car driver. So what if I build a fast car that ill never have the ability to push to the limits. I have a 2005 Yamaha r1 that ill never be capable of riding anywhere near the potential that it has. So what? I still like it. I wouldn't wanna trade it for a 600 just because I can't push it to its limits. So while I appreciate your opinion, all your negativity isn't needed.

Yes I know ill end up spending more than 10g on my car. Yes I know I'm going to need a new rear end. But right now for the next few months this is what I have and this is what I'm looking for.
    You are right, in the end it's your money and time, you can spend both however you like. This forum is a great resource for the CTS-V, if you are serious about a big HP build you should see what the guys over at www.ls1tech.com have to say. There are a bunch of people and information that overlap between the sites, but there's some information on LS engines over there that would be helpful.

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

You should hit this guy up, offer him $600 for the whole setup. It's been on Craigslist for at least 2 months. http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/3448129828.html

Damn that's a good deal

etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Quote Originally Posted by Skidmarcx View Post
    Damn that's a good deal
    Right! Almost makes me want to sell my pacesetters and magnaflow setup and upgrade!

I'd like to step up to 3" exhaust... But I want to keep my Kooks

253ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    No don't do that. I just called , no answer lol

----------

So question... Will no cats fix the whole melting starter problem? Lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.