Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Needed: Stock rear shock top mount (for upgrade design work by Vorshlag Motorsports)

19K views 91 replies 21 participants last post by  AAIIIC 
#1 ·
As discussed in this thread, Vorshlag Motorsports makes upgraded strut/shock top mounts for a variety of vehicles. I believe they got their start in the Bimmer world, but they've been gradually expanding their offerings, and now offer parts for Mustangs, Vettes, F-bodies, STIs, etc etc.

I contacted Vorshlag about doing a rear shock top mount for the 1st gen CTS/CTS-V. The response I got was positive - a rear mount is already on their list for product development, and they may do a front top mount as well. However, they need a stock top mount to take measurements off of.

So, anyone got a top mount sitting around that they can loan to Vorshlag? A UPS shipping label will be provided, and I assume they'll return the top mount once they've got the measurements. I know there are folks that have installed the Pfadt Corvette top mounts, so maybe one of you can donate? Or how about someone that has installed KSport coilovers? I think those include new top mounts (but I could be wrong).

If you've got a top mount you can provide, please reply here (rather than PMing me) and I'll put you in touch with the guy @ Vorshlag. Thanks!

#7 ·
I also have a spare. PM me if you need it.

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses!

I found this other picture from my KW install:

I think we would want to give Vorshlag everything on the right - not the nut, but the big black washer, the top mount, and the insert/spacer thingy to the left of the top mount. The big silver washer that is visible in the first picture I posted earlier today came with the KWs, as seen in this shot, so that's not something that would need to be sent to them.

So, which one of you 3 has all 3 of those pieces? :)

#9 ·
Thanks for the responses!

I think we would want to give Vorshlag everything on the right - not the nut, but the big black washer, the top mount, and the insert/spacer thingy to the left of the top mount. The big silver washer that is visible in the first picture I posted earlier today came with the KWs, as seen in this shot, so that's not something that would need to be sent to them.

So, which one of you 3 has all 3 of those pieces? :)
I will confirm tonight but I should have all three as I recently swapped in d2 coil overs and they have all new top mounts.

#12 ·
The only pics I've seen were the clevis style ones you're running with your super whamodyne race setup.
LOL, I know, but I had discussed this with him previously. There won't be any pictures around but IIRC he can do them. Won't hurt to put a call in...

#10 ·
I probably have that stuff in boxes. Its just a pain to get to right now. I'll check just in case.

BTW Pat, why don't you check with Angelo @ Anze. I think he already has those mounts made up...

#15 ·
I sent Vorshlag one of my mounts about December last year. I haven't heard anything lately.

#19 · (Edited)
What rubbish.

All Vorshlag has to do is make the AST RSM for the C5 available.

It will directly fit the CTS-V1.

To give you some background, I contacted Vorshlag early last year looking for a replacement for the PADFT's I had (no longer in production).

The AST is available, but you have to buy the whole suspension package.

For some ridiculous reason, the Vorshlag rep accused me of trying to rip off their design.

You might contact:

http://store.langracing.com/rear-shock-mount-set-with-spherical-bearings-10-mm/

Maybe they can build one with the right footprint.

This guy makes one for the C4 & C5 so it should be a direct fit.

http://banskimotorsports.com/Pin_Top_Shock_Mounts.html

I
n case you want to know, spherical RSM's do make a difference. IMO

#20 ·
#21 ·
Vorshlag is not AST, but it could request AST sell the mount separate and not tie it to a whole suspension package.

As far as having to create a special part for the V1, that is BS.

Spherical RSM's are not rocket science.

If it fits a C5, it will fit a V1 (rear).

The only difference from the C5 (CTS-V1) and the BMW and Porsche mounts is the base plate footprint.

A 10 mm shaft hole.

#23 ·
Vorshlag is not AST, but it could request AST sell the mount separate and not tie it to a whole suspension package.
Perhaps they have and AST said NO?

Has anyone asked KSport/D2/whoever? Don't their coil-overs come with new top mounts?

As far as having to create a special part for the V1, that is BS.

Spherical RSM's are not rocket science.
I guess that explains why there's such a glut of these on the market. ;) We were all frothing at the mouth when it was determined that the Pfadt ones would work, but apparently they were discontinued about the time that was figured out. Despite interest from a number of us, I haven't seen any other solutions discussed since then until that Banski link you posted. Apparently it's not a very popular product amongst the Vette guys, let alone our little V community. Even the Banski product is not a sure thing for the CTS - one would have to deconstruct a stock top mount to see if those Banski ones would work. If they don't, you're kind of stuck since you can't order just the top mount from the dealer and there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket replacement.

#24 ·
I'm talking to the president of Banski and will let you know shortly if the dimensions are correct. If they are correct, I will set up a group buy across CF and LS1Tech.

Price will be $120 + shipping for 2 mounts if we get 5 people and $90 + shipping for 2 mounts if we get 10 people. Shipping is USPS Priority Flat Rate @ $5. Hope to know more tonight or tomorrow morning.

This post has been deleted
#25 ·
D2 coilovers do indeed come with a new rear shock mount.

#27 ·
Good stuff coming. Tom (president) and I have been trading measurements and CAD drawings to ensure a perfect fit. Should have more tonight and tomorrow--my schedule for today is filled with work and grad school.

Plan on the group buy starting (at the latest) Monday and ending next Friday.

#42 ·
Good stuff coming. Tom (president) and I have been trading measurements and CAD drawings to ensure a perfect fit. Should have more tonight and tomorrow--my schedule for today is filled with work and grad school.
Did anything ever come of this, Fuzzy? I sourced an extra set of stock upper mounts from a FS thread over on LS1tech. Not sure if I even need those to make the Banski pieces work, but I have them just in case.

#29 ·
For information only: CAD drawing of C5 and C4 shock mounts attached.

C4 eyeball plate drawing includes caliper measurements taken from OEM CTS-V RSM (right side) versus actual C4 plate dimensions (left side). Need to update with measurements taken directly from car body. ETA on measurements: Friday night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.