Needed: Stock rear shock top mount (for upgrade design work by Vorshlag Motorsports) - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Needed: Stock rear shock top mount (for upgrade design work by Vorshlag Motorsports) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by sssnake I am interested in these with or without the group buy. I didn't see these on ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Needed: Stock rear shock top mount (for upgrade design work by Vorshlag Motorspor

Quote Originally Posted by sssnake View Post
    I am interested in these with or without the group buy. I didn't see these on their webpage. Did I miss it or do I need to just call them?
    That's because they're not ready for purchase yet. The fitment is slightly off.

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    understood on the fitment issue. As you can see I am anxiously awaiting this part.
    DavidBoren likes this.

Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

Re: Needed: Stock rear shock top mount (for upgrade design work by Vorshlag Motorspor

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    The good news is that the solution will be a perfect replacement for the OEM part and include all necessary hardware (Grade 8 / Class 10.9). You can help me out by expressing your intention to buy a set, if that's what you plan to do, so that I can get a headcount and we can get these parts delivered to your doorsteps in the next couple of weeks.
    Count me in Fuzzy.

John (Iceman)

Manofmetal01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa, KW Var 3, Hotchkis sways
    I'm in.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

When will these be ready to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    When will these be ready to buy?
    They're virtually ready for purchase. Tom gave me the go ahead to start the group buy on this forum and LS1Tech, but neglected to include his asking price. As soon as I know, you'll see a new thread.

jclayc is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

I'm in

Final production hardware is arriving Monday or Tuesday. Key changes include a new eyeball plate with a slotted bolt hole on one side (provides correct fitment despite GM manufacturing tolerances), and shorter 1"-long, Grade 10.9, M10 bolts. At this point, most of the production CTS-V RSM parts will be borrowed from various Banski Motorsports' C4 Corvette RSM and toe rod kits, so I think this product should be readily available for a long time.

Will verify fitment, update pictures, and start group buy this week.

Fuzzy, in your opinion would changing the eyeball plate to 6061-t651 .25" aluminum be a viable alternative to steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman_jd View Post
    Fuzzy, in your opinion would changing the eyeball plate to 6061-t651 .25" aluminum be a viable alternative to steel?
    That's an odd question. As far as I know, there's no advantage to aluminum in this application. Not only is steel cheaper, the weight difference is negligible, the plate is considered sprung mass, and the higher density of steel will provide better sound attenuation. Plus, with aluminum, you have concerns regarding galvanic corrosion between the plate and the low-carbon steel side bolts, as well as the constant spray of mineralized water, vehicle byproducts, salt, rocks, and anything else kicked up by the tires. I know that the CTS-V has cast aluminum control arms, but those don't get regularly blasted like the inside of the wheel well does. And the risk is justified by the fact that those components are considered unsprung mass.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    That's an odd question. As far as I know, there's no advantage to aluminum in this application. Not only is steel cheaper, the weight difference is negligible, the plate is considered sprung mass, and the higher density of steel will provide better sound attenuation. Plus, with aluminum, you have concerns regarding galvanic corrosion between the plate and the low-carbon steel side bolts, as well as the constant spray of mineralized water, vehicle byproducts, salt, rocks, and anything else kicked up by the tires. I know that the CTS-V has cast aluminum control arms, but those don't get regularly blasted like the inside of the wheel well does. And the risk is justified by the fact that those components are considered unsprung mass.
    I agree 100% with the choice of steel, galvanic corrosion aside and theoretically speaking just wondering if you think it would be strong enough and resilient to be used.

I think we're really getting into an academic discussion here, but generally speaking, aluminum should work fine if you use a thick enough plate to avoid plastic deformation under severe shock loads and reduce tensile stresses below the threshold necessary for Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC). The idea of sudden, catastrophic failure of suspension components is a scary one, but SCC itself is a fascinating subject--I highly recommend reading the "Prevention" section of the associated Wikipedia article.

Bump: the group buy is going on now over at LS1 Tech

Sigfod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Any links to these for sale?

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

If "these" refers to the subject of the thread, no, as far as I know Vorshlag never followed through on this.

If "these" refers to the Banski mounts that the discussion moved to over time, you can contact them through their website.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.