Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Needed: Stock rear shock top mount (for upgrade design work by Vorshlag Motorsports)

19K views 91 replies 21 participants last post by  AAIIIC 
#1 ·
As discussed in this thread, Vorshlag Motorsports makes upgraded strut/shock top mounts for a variety of vehicles. I believe they got their start in the Bimmer world, but they've been gradually expanding their offerings, and now offer parts for Mustangs, Vettes, F-bodies, STIs, etc etc.

I contacted Vorshlag about doing a rear shock top mount for the 1st gen CTS/CTS-V. The response I got was positive - a rear mount is already on their list for product development, and they may do a front top mount as well. However, they need a stock top mount to take measurements off of.

So, anyone got a top mount sitting around that they can loan to Vorshlag? A UPS shipping label will be provided, and I assume they'll return the top mount once they've got the measurements. I know there are folks that have installed the Pfadt Corvette top mounts, so maybe one of you can donate? Or how about someone that has installed KSport coilovers? I think those include new top mounts (but I could be wrong).

If you've got a top mount you can provide, please reply here (rather than PMing me) and I'll put you in touch with the guy @ Vorshlag. Thanks!

#82 ·
I'm in

#83 · (Edited)
Final production hardware is arriving Monday or Tuesday. Key changes include a new eyeball plate with a slotted bolt hole on one side (provides correct fitment despite GM manufacturing tolerances), and shorter 1"-long, Grade 10.9, M10 bolts. At this point, most of the production CTS-V RSM parts will be borrowed from various Banski Motorsports' C4 Corvette RSM and toe rod kits, so I think this product should be readily available for a long time.

Will verify fitment, update pictures, and start group buy this week.

#85 ·
That's an odd question. As far as I know, there's no advantage to aluminum in this application. Not only is steel cheaper, the weight difference is negligible, the plate is considered sprung mass, and the higher density of steel will provide better sound attenuation. Plus, with aluminum, you have concerns regarding galvanic corrosion between the plate and the low-carbon steel side bolts, as well as the constant spray of mineralized water, vehicle byproducts, salt, rocks, and anything else kicked up by the tires. I know that the CTS-V has cast aluminum control arms, but those don't get regularly blasted like the inside of the wheel well does. And the risk is justified by the fact that those components are considered unsprung mass.

#87 ·
I think we're really getting into an academic discussion here, but generally speaking, aluminum should work fine if you use a thick enough plate to avoid plastic deformation under severe shock loads and reduce tensile stresses below the threshold necessary for Stress Corrosion Cracking (SCC). The idea of sudden, catastrophic failure of suspension components is a scary one, but SCC itself is a fascinating subject--I highly recommend reading the "Prevention" section of the associated Wikipedia article.

#91 ·
I never got anything from Vorshlag other than "we are still working on it" after i sent them a OEM rear shock mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.