Advice on selling car with mods? What's it worth?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Advice on selling car with mods? What's it worth? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I am thinking about parting with my V just after I have it all sorted. I have changed jobs and ...
    bwyffels is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Advice on selling car with mods? What's it worth?

I am thinking about parting with my V just after I have it all sorted. I have changed jobs and need a new truck. Thanks to all the help and advice on the forums. The following are the details on the car. Should I sell it with the 9" rear or should I pull it back out and put in a new Gen IV rear and race axles (sitting in my garage)? I have spent 20k on the car in the last year, but i still have most of the stock stuff. 2007 CTS-V Raven Black with 70k miles (I drive it ~350 hwy miles each week) Motor has ~6k since build and rear has ~1500
    Stock Interior
    Short Shifter
    UUC Motor Mounts
    Motor
    -TrickFlow hand blended 225CC heads
    -FAST 102 intake
    -NW 102 TB
    -FAST fuel rails and injectors
    -Yell Terra's and PRC springs
    -Comp cam 230/238 .600 / .615
    -Kooks LT headers
    -Corsa Exhaust
    -No weeds diverters (wired to a plate in the ash tray)
    -Mcleod twin disk RST clutch
    Rear
    -GForce 9" kit (includes driveshaft, race axles, Strange Pro Iron Case and WaveTrac with 3.73 gears)

Car puts down 485 RWHP. What should I ask for it or what do you guys think it's worth or what's realistic? I know I won't get anywhere near what I want.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Advice on selling car with mods? What's it worth?

My guess is you would net more money by: (1) putting the car back to stock (or near stock) and (2) selling the speed equipment separately. However, the incremental revenue this would generate over a sale "as is" to the right buyer would require a lot of work removing parts, running ads, packaging and shipping parts etc. It probably comes down to the value and availabilty of your personal time.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

That car is quality modded. I would put it up for sale for what you think it's worth, and see what kind of response you get. I would say 25-26k would be a great deal for someone. If the response isn't great, then part out the mods.

GreaseMonkey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS 3.6L Black Ice/Ebony

It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Typically a bunch of bolt ons do not increase the value of a vehicle, although some people would be willing to pay more for it. The problem is that the target market has shrunk, as some people will not buy a used car with any modifications.

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You just have to find the right buyer. When I sold my Corvette I returned it all to stock. Bought a used longblock, etc. Sold off my good parts and came out right where I wanted to be.

A car that is modded nicely without being hacked can bring more than fair money. The other thing is receipts when it comes to things like that. Too often you see people selling car claiming ridiculous amounts of money went into it but they can't document any of it.

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

I'd rank the mods in order of ease of removal (and returning to stock), then rank them according to how much you could get for each one. If your effort is a scarce resource, placing these rankings side by side would tell you which ones to start on first, and you'd keep going till you ran out of time/energy/patience.

Or, you could swallow real hard and sell it as is.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

2007ThunderV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts v

iam in the same boat, i have shit loads of mods/money into my 07 v, considered selling it , and said scew it, decided to keep it.
    i just bought a cheap additional car to make my v feel more special when i drive it.
    rand49er and rand49er like this.

GambitSC1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Bwy Dude, with all those mods and claim of 485 rwhp, probably make is unreliable, hard to start, hard to drive, loud, obnoxious, etc.... I would set the price at 10k and be happy that some is buying it at all. Tell me when I can pick it up and who to right the check to. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by GambitSC1 View Post
    Bwy Dude, with all those mods and claim of 485 rwhp, probably make is unreliable, hard to start, hard to drive, loud, obnoxious, etc.... I would set the price at 10k and be happy that some is buying it at all. Tell me when I can pick it up and who to right the check to. ;-)
    who is this guy?
    modifying ls cars does NOT make them unreliable, hard to start ect. i understand that some people like stock cars, but there is a huge aftermarket following for the ls motors.
    also i have heads/big cam, full exhaust and my car is 100 percent just as reliable as it was stock.
    if anything this his car is prob more reliable then stock seing as it has a 9 inch rear, and he got rid of all the crappy stock mounts.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 2007ThunderV View Post
    who is this guy?
    modifying ls cars does NOT make them unreliable, hard to start ect. i understand that some people like stock cars, but there is a huge aftermarket following for the ls motors.
    also i have heads/big cam, full exhaust and my car is 100 percent just as reliable as it was stock.
    if anything this his car is prob more reliable then stock seing as it has a 9 inch rear, and he got rid of all the crappy stock mounts.
    i think he's being sarcastic, talking it down, the offering to buy it for a steal.

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    i think he's being sarcastic, talking it down, the offering to buy it for a steal.
    Yeah, isn't this a wink and smilie? ;-)
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

lol i didnt realize that, i though the guy was for real my bad

Teamsorad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

you can pretty much say anything and add a smiley face haha, smiley face makes it all good.

The problem with mods and trying to get more for the car is you can just buy a stock one for way cheaper then do some mods yourself. Obviously if you have 20k into the car that is tough to beat, but I just bought an 04 for 14k put 1k into getting new brakes, nav buttons and clutch. As someone else mentioned your car just doesn't have some mods, sounds like a full out race car which is different imo and would make a difference when buying a new/used car.

Most people would probably say lowering springs and intake cool, but motor and rear end work not so sure about when buying a used car unless you were in the race game. (or be like me and really have no idea what most of the shit is)

Just my 2 cents from someone who just bought a V

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

The intake stuff is easy to pull. Pull it off and sell it to me for a good deal.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

I would say price it stock w/o mods then add 70% of the price you paid for the mods and zero for the labor and install. So if the car is worth $15k and you put $12k in just parts (no labor charge) then price it $15k+(12k*.7)=$23.4k.

I think that is where you might eventually land if you attempt to sell it with all those goodies on it. Heads, cam, intake, some internal engine work can be drastically high labor if a speedshop does it - the labor charges never carry over when selling it. Because the V comes with a weak rear-end...the upgraded rear-end (and axles etc) is a tough sell because it's more of a fix. Most of the crowd I hang with love the V and consider buying a V1 because it's dropping in the teens stock or with light mods.

Anyhow...nice mods!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.