Parts List for Build - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree4Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Parts List for Build in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; FINALLY DOUBLE DIGIT IATs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was running the Edelbrock 15406 HE, Bosch TMAP, and the Bosch 6 gpm pump that ...
    sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Parts List for Build

FINALLY DOUBLE DIGIT IATs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was running the Edelbrock 15406 HE, Bosch TMAP, and the Bosch 6 gpm pump that came with the kit. Now the Frozen Boost type 101 HE, Bosch TMap but with my own Omega temp sensor, and a Mezeire 24 gpm pump. All of these were utilized by DMM in his build. I saw his posts and thought why in the H@77 is he doing that? If you do the Eforce just take my word for it and follow his approach.

To complicate things further on my car my tuner had entered bad data into one of the cells of the resistance vs temp table. He entered 160 degrees in the spot that should be 110ish. So while logging IATs I would always get this big spike then fall off then slowly creep back toward 160 degrees. I couldn't figure this out to begin with because I would pull over and check the intercooler coolant and it would be very near atmospheric temp (nowhere near the 160). After getting back in the car and driving for a while the temps would creep toward a legitimate 140 degrees. After buying HP Tuners and digging through the tune I found the erroneous data. To give my tuner a bit of a break, the data on the Edelbrock website that provides the resistance vs F temp is incorrect (use the resistance vs C temp table and convert it to F). He noticed it and quit entering data but he inadvertently left that one cell

Last night with atmospheric temps at 70 degrees the car, after thoroughly heatsoaking the engine (1 hour drive, 30 minute park, then drive and log) IATs started at 126 degrees (startup) and then fell to below 90 degrees (65 mph cruise on open interstate)

One thing I did that DMM did not is use two of the Frozen Boost electric fans behind the HE. My fan controller hasn't come in yet but the fans are installed on the HE. The fans are for bumping around in traffic. They will likley be set for a 110 degree activation with 100 degree deactivate. The controller is on a slow boat from China (literally) so it may take a while. In the mean time this thing is now finally ready to go back to the tuner.

Phili,

I am running a DW 300 with Kenne Bell BAP. So far no issues with fueling (I am a little surprised). I haven't paid a lot of attention to injector utilization percentages but I don't remember seeing anything over 70%. My kit came with 60lbs injectors and I have the BAP running wide open all of the time (no place for a hobbs switch currently).

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by sssnake View Post
    Phili,

I am running a DW 300 with Kenne Bell BAP. So far no issues with fueling (I am a little surprised). I haven't paid a lot of attention to injector utilization percentages but I don't remember seeing anything over 70%. My kit came with 60lbs injectors and I have the BAP running wide open all of the time (no place for a hobbs switch currently).
    I purchased the DW 300 which seems to run 320lph with low amperes. Lonnies Performance (from LS1tech) informed me that the bulkhead connector on the bucket is only good for 13 amps - I'm guessing that wire is 18awg. I don't know what's involved with modifying that connector to 10 or 12 awg. I know the Racetronix hotwire kit is 10awg which is fine but that doesn't solve the limiting factor of the bulkhead connector. I'm an ME not a EE so my knowledge of circuits tells me that there is potential of too much resistance using a BAP - please correct me if I'm wrong. So I was wondering if you made any other modifications to "balance" the load with your fueling e.g. modifying the wires in the bucket.

Thanks!

Philli,

Good catch! I had the same concerns after seeing what the hot wire kit included (which i did not purchase BTW). The 10 gauge is overkill for a BAP on a DW300. From memory, 16 gauge was what was required (I did look it up with NEC). I had Caspers build up a special pigtail to handle the 16 gauge. The bulkhead connector is still the weak link. I don't have an easy way to correct that at the moment (let me know if you do) and that is why I want to get the Hobbs switch working. With current heat is the killer (actually power dissipated in the wire itself). If I can significantly reduce the time the bulkhead connector is carrying full current (which will reduce heating) then I believe there won't be issues. My current get me by solution is just that a get me by until I can get the tuning completed. In the end I may drill the bulkhead connector, route the wires straight through, and seal with epoxy putty. The reason I did not take this approach initially is that I had my mechanic swap the pump as I couldn't get it loose myself without the tool (at least prior to the rough tuning session). Now I have the tool so I can get back in there and do whatever I want.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

That's awesome man! Glad to hear that everything is working out for you! I'd like to take a peek at your tune if you don't mind, I know that after tuning mine I was able to add a LOT of timing down low after swapping the heads which lowered compression. From what I have seen, most tuners cut a huge area in the low air mass/RPM areas in the timing map and it just makes it a dog to drive. Also, how are you tuning? Lambda I hope.

I will be getting my tuner back involved as soon as he breaks free. Calling today. Once he gets things squared away I will be glad to share the tune. In terms of his tuning approach, I can't really answer. He was indicated as the best this side of Atlanta and possibly better than most of those guys as well. At least with LS engines. It is really too early on mine to tell much other than IATs were a major problem. I am hoping this will let us tune accurately as we were seeing some odd things. KR showing up with cooler IATs and going away with hotter (all other parameters appeared comparable).

I decided to let him tune with the small pulley and then I will tune for the larger pulley I got from you. That way he can get it locked in on the small pulley and I can learn with the larger (much fewer variables as he will have already tuned for the new cam, heads, exhaust, injectors). Anyway, I am finally making a little progress

We I finally got it back from the tuner. There are still a few driveability issues at part throttle to work but nothing too severe at this point.

Anyway with what he called a MAX SAFE TUNE (which is what I asked for) she made 602 ft/lbs and 626hp with a torque curve that looks more like a straight line than a curve. Graph below.

ForumRunner_20131023_191741.png

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Wow, well that looks like it'll be a heck of a lot of fun to drive.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

The torque looks nice, time to upgrade that rear-end. I'm interested in the part throttle - are you getting swings and occasional peaking AFRs?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.