Adjustable Sway Bar End Links Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AAIIIC
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Adjustable Sway Bar End Links Question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...
    etcts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ

Question Adjustable Sway Bar End Links Question

I'm nearing the end of my coilover & hotchkis sway install and am unsure how exactly to correctly install the adjustable sway bar end links I have.

From research it sounds like I need to corner balance the car and get the sway bars to zero lash so that the load or weight is the same with or without the sways connected. Do I want the the links and sway bar are as close to 90° to each other as is possible when at resting ride height, when viewed from the side of the car?

Anybody have tips or links to resources that can educate me further on this?

You input is much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Adjustable Sway Bar End Links Question

The common mistake with adjustable end links involves installing them with the car off the ground (suspension unloaded) and then having them break when the car is lowered.

The safe way to install the adjustable links is to do so with the car on the ground, or as a practical matter on Rhino Ramps (or the like) such that the suspension is loaded when links are installed.

Oh word, Rhino Ramps it is! As always thank you for your expertise Dark Man!

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Thumbs up Re: Adjustable Sway Bar End Links Question

In an ideal world, you could corner balance the car (which is done with the sway bars disconnected), then connect the end links with them set to the proper length such that there's no preload on the bars.

Even if you don't corner balance the car, you can still take advantage of the adjustable end links to set the sway bar so there is no preload. As you said, you want the sway bar level with the end links close to 90deg. With one end link not installed, set one side to the proper length to get the sway bar about level, then install the other end link by adjusting it to the proper length so it'll just slide right into position.

I've found that having the car on the ground (or on a drive on lift) is best. Or, if you have 4 jack stands, you can pull all 4 wheels off and put the car in the air with a jack stand under each control arm (so the car is effectively on the ground, with the suspension loaded exactly as it would be if it was resting on the tires. If you drive up onto ramps, you're changing the weight distribution, so the suspension at each end of the car isn't sitting the same as it would with all four corners loaded "normally". Admittedly, it's not a huge effect, but I'm found it's enough that you can't smoothly install/remove the end links when the car is on the ground normally. (Hopefully that makes sense.)
    mackey likes this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    In an ideal world, you could corner balance the car (which is done with the sway bars disconnected), then connect the end links with them set to the proper length such that there's no preload on the bars.

Even if you don't corner balance the car, you can still take advantage of the adjustable end links to set the sway bar so there is no preload. As you said, you want the sway bar level with the end links close to 90deg. With one end link not installed, set one side to the proper length to get the sway bar about level, then install the other end link by adjusting it to the proper length so it'll just slide right into position.

I've found that having the car on the ground (or on a drive on lift) is best. Or, if you have 4 jack stands, you can pull all 4 wheels off and put the car in the air with a jack stand under each control arm (so the car is effectively on the ground, with the suspension loaded exactly as it would be if it was resting on the tires. If you drive up onto ramps, you're changing the weight distribution, so the suspension at each end of the car isn't sitting the same as it would with all four corners loaded "normally". Admittedly, it's not a huge effect, but I'm found it's enough that you can't smoothly install/remove the end links when the car is on the ground normally. (Hopefully that makes sense.)
    This is great info thank you! I do have 4 ramps so if I put all 4 ramps under each tire I should be good right? I can also use my jack stands I suppose but the ramps may be easier.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Yup, that'll work fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.