Audible clunk when engaging clutch
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Audible clunk when engaging clutch in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Anyone have else hear a seemingly loud clunk when engaging the clutch? especially when letting off the gas and letting ...
    Newcastle_00 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS-V

Audible clunk when engaging clutch

Anyone have else hear a seemingly loud clunk when engaging the clutch? especially when letting off the gas and letting the trans slow the car down, then pressing the clutch in when stopping?

I also have the clunk in my front end when going over bumps, its the worst in the yard or when going over several little bumps. Sounds like its coming from my shock towers, I can feel it in the pedals as well.. read a few previous posts about the sway bar bushings. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Re: Audible clunk when engaging clutch

First place I'd look is the diff bushing and motor mounts.

Thank, I will look at them today. It's not there when I let off the gas or hit the gas, only when pressing the clutch pedal down.

----------

In the event I replace rear diff and motor mounts. What is the best choice? OEM or Aftermarket? And what brand if aftermarket?

Crash-Override is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V
    If its only when you push in the clutch then I would say its more likely the dual mass flywheel. I have done every mount and now the only noise is the flywheel on mine.

Does yours make noise when in neutral without the clutch depressed that changes when you press in the clutch? At idle speed.
    PISNUOFF and PISNUOFF like this.

What kind of noise exactly are you referring to when pressing clutch at idle? I can't recall that it makes any audible clunk or anything at idle but there maybe be some other subsequent noise. I will check that shortly and post my reply.

Bacon V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V
    Is the clunk in the pedal or in the seat/rear end? My diff bushing was bad and i was able to drive it with no clunk if i paid very close attention to the rpm i shifted at. If i wasn't spot on, it would clunk in every gear. Get under the car and push on the bottom of the diff - i was able to move mine 3/8" by hand

Feels like it's something in the front end. Definitely feel it in the pedal. And no there's no noise when pressing and depressing it at idle. Most noticed between first to second and second to third and also when idling down in like second gear then pressing the clutch in before coming to a complete stop.

----------

2006 with 44K miles. Just to let everyone know. Thanks for all the feedback. I'm hoping to get to the bottom of this.

That's the front diff bushing for sure. A stock replacement will give the best feel and eliminate noises, but it will likely fail again quickly. Its too soft and designed poorly. I put in a CS polyurethane bushing and the clunk is gone, but i have a click now. Hard to hear, but its the bolt that goes through the bushing moving about .050" in its mounting holes. Feels like a new car now - i would recommend. PS when i say front diff bushing, its the front bushing on the rear diff

Okay. I was just on the CS website looking at they bushings they offer. Can't believe how expensive they are! But I'm determined to get rid of this noise. I was thinking about doing motor mounts, diff, and trans mount from CS.

The diff bushing alone is $60 i think. That piece will get rid of the noise - the others are a good idea but not necessary to get rid of the clunk.

Are you going to do the install yourself? Its a fairly tedious task, but can be done on a garage floor. Having it done at a shop or dealer will really put you on the floor. I heard quotes of 800-900 labor.

I would do it myself. But where are ppl getting the tool to press the old one out and the new one in at? Read they have been renting it

----------

I have some kooks LTs to install as well. Figure I would do those motor mount before I get the headers on and the rear diff bushings and trans since I'll have the exhaust off anyway

They rent it from CS - its on their website. I made my own out of some 3/8 flat bar and some scrap tubing sections.

That would be nice if I had that tool you made! So, update. ..just had my car on a lift at a shop. And there was no play in the rear diff bushing. And none in the sway bar bushings. I couldn't find anything that appears worn out. The guy did tell me that the front bushing in the rear diff is a common problem on the vettes. I pushed up on the rear diff and it didn't budge. So not sure where that leaves me. Also to change that do I need to pull the axels?

I had to loosen all the bolts before it would move by hand. There's a video out there where a guy video taped the diff as his wife worked the clutch slightly while the car was on and in gear. You don't have to move, just set the brake, put it in gear, let off the clutch till the engine bogs down and then hit the clutch fast. Should make a clunk and you should be able to see it. Look around the forums for it.

Ah ok. That would make sense.. I want to replace it. Especially if it's a known problem. I'm guessing you dropped exhaust, then loosened bolts and removed bolts, then with a Jack underneath diff. You could lower it enough to swap the bushing.without taking axles out?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.