Can any of you Maggie guys help a brother out? (please)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Can any of you Maggie guys help a brother out? (please) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Some of you may have read this http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ighlight=p2101 thread already. Since posting this I have had my car with a ...
    Brackets is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 V

Can any of you Maggie guys help a brother out? (please)

Some of you may have read this http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ighlight=p2101 thread already. Since posting this I have had my car with a retired GM mechanic for a few weeks. First he thought the problem lay with the TAC module, another wasted $400.00 as this didn't fix the problem. He has now spent many hours chasing wiring and has determined that the problem is the ECM. He has confirmed this with a similar ECM from an auto wrecker. I say similar because it was not from a CTS-V but a compatible computer. Finally no more codes but it does mean replacing my ECM. I can get a rebuilt one from a local automotive retailer for about $250.00 and it will cost me another $50.00 to have my vin flashed to it but unfortunately the story doesn't end there and this is where I need some help. I purchased my car with the Maggie already installed and didn't receive the programmer with it. I don't have access to a tuner locally so I'm really hoping that I can rent or borrow somebodies Maggie programmer to get me back on the road and eventually drive down to get a proper dyno tune. I live in Canada on the left coast so of course would be willing to pick up any shipping/insurance charges. Thanks for reading my story and am open to any other ideas or suggestions that anyone may have, Brad.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Can any of you Maggie guys help a brother out? (please)

Call Jesse at Wait4Me tunes. I have not checked his price lately, but he used to sell a mail-order tune with a ECM for $160. It might be more for a maggie tune, but would likely still be less than other alternatives.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Not sure Jesse ever sold tunes for maggie-equipped Vs, though that may have changed. Easily worth a call, I'd think.

Don't know myself, but can the Magnuson tunes/programmers be used on multiple installs? Or is it unique to that vehicle using the VIN or something?

I'm sure someone here with more knowledge than I have (THAT ought to be easy ) can help out here.

Anyone?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

soulja is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan 6MT, (Sold) 05 Maggie & 8.8 V1.

The Maggie programmer is set to a specific VIN. I learned this the hard way after toasting 2 PCM's. As for a used PCM. There is a guy on Ebay selling them for the 05 V for $130. They will also program your VIN into the PCM. As for a tune, you will need HPTuners or EFI live to get the Maggie tune onto the PCM. Otherwise you will have to have it towed to a tuner, as it will not drive on the stock tune.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Cadillac-CTS-V-Engine-computer-12589462-Programmed-to-your-VIN-ECM-PCM-/170916596023?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item27cb6c4937&vxp=mtr

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

Its probably worth it to get hptuners. They have a package that comes with the tuner and a wideband O2 sensor so you can dial in the tune perfect. Then you can load as many tunes as you want onto that thing whenever you want and it has scanner software that can diagnose engine codes. If there are E85 stations up in Canada I highly recommend doing a race tune on E85. You can run a lot of timing advance, more boost, and make more power, E85 is beautiful in boosted applications provided you injectors can keep up. You just get HORRIBLE fuel economy with it (about 30% less if you drive careful). I had a turbo cobalt SS and on the track I got about 6mpg but I put about 400 HP to the wheels and was murdering people on a road course all day.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Confirmed, Maggie tuners are VIN specific.
    Wait4me did not do FI tunes a few years ago. But he may give you something that'll get you to a proper tuner (just drive normal, do not under-rev the motor). You'll need to tell him what size injectors you have though. I believe the blue stripe is 60lb and green stripe is 42lb.
    Good luck

Tony
    '05 Platinum l LPE CAI l Magnaflow l V1 (hardwired), w/ custom mount l UUC shifter l UUC Alcantara shift knob l K9 GEAR rear seat cover lHID fogs lHotchkis sways lCG-Lock l Specter Bushings l FG2s l Ground control 550/600 l MAGGIE 439RWHP/414RWTQ (Dynojet) l Heavys fire extinguisher bracket l Interceptor scan-gauge l Billet pedals l Meth l NO HEADERS l Original diff l 90mm upgrade l 2.6" drive pulley l LS7 clutch w/16lb. FW l Alcantara

It figures that Darkman would be the first reply and not the first time you've been there with advise for me, you're an awesome asset to this site pard. I haven't reached Jesse yet but am hoping this will be my solution. Thanks Randy for posing some very pertinent questions and thanks to the rest of you guys for taking the time to answer those questions. RyRides, I'd love to go the Hptuners route and probably will one day when I can better afford that option. Twitch, I'll have to check those injectors out again. My car is still with the mech. who was troubleshooting for me, all I recall is that they have black tops and had assumed they were the 60 lbs. that Magnuson used to provide although my supercharger does have the carbon fiber drive shaft so it's not a real old one. Thanks again to all you guys, I learned something from every reply.

Brad, how much of your time are you willing to invest in this endeavor? I mean, if there's no tuner nearby and no mail order source, are you willing to learn EFI Live or HP Tuners? Some guys here really get a kick out of it (ronr, Twitch, et al).
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Hey Randy, it looks like I'm going to go with Jesse. I spoke with him a couple of days ago and it sounds like he'll be able to hook me up. That being said I am also very interested in HPtuners. It's always been on the back burner waiting for me to step up, just a little low on disposable funds right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brackets View Post
    Hey Randy, it looks like I'm going to go with Jesse. I spoke with him a couple of days ago and it sounds like he'll be able to hook me up. That being said I am also very interested in HPtuners. It's always been on the back burner waiting for me to step up, just a little low on disposable funds right now.
    Don't know if it matters, but Jesse uses EFI Live ... in fact, he conducts EFI Live classes, or at least he used to. If the two tuning tools are incompatible and you use Jesse's tune, you may want to reconsider the HP Tuners. Just a thought. Glad to hear this is working out for you, Brad.

Thanks for the heads up Randy. The guys I'll be eventually taking the car to for a dyno tune use HPtuners and it sounds like it may be a little more user friendly for rookies like me.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Brackets View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Randy. The guys I'll be eventually taking the car to for a dyno tune use HPtuners and it sounds like it may be a little more user friendly for rookies like me.
    Honestly, if Jesse uses EFI live you should consider getting EFI live. He can probably do email tunes for you. HP tuners is still pretty complex. I have had it for like 2 years and it can still be confusing. I still have my tuner help me.

More things to discuss with Jesse. Personally I don't have a preference as I don't have any experience with either, just a judgment from what I've read on here. If Jesse will do mail order and I can load it myself that's probably the best way to go. I definately don't think I'd be able to tweak and improve the dyno tune and after speaking with them today they don't do mail order so maybe not much sense in trying to be compatible with them.

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If you ever get efi I can help you out with a tune to get you to a local dyno shop. I've logged and tuned years worth of data for the various incarnations of my car. Pitty you're not in eastern Canada, lots of places that can help you here.

With regards to a pcm, go to pcm4less and get a proper VIN flashed PCM for $150 shipped. By far the cheapest and most reliable places I've had to visit. On a side note your problem is likely not PCM related. Have you tried unplugging the maf and running the car to see if it goes into limp mode?

Quote Originally Posted by ichpen View Post
    If you ever get efi I can help you out with a tune to get you to a local dyno shop. I've logged and tuned years worth of data for the various incarnations of my car. Pitty you're not in eastern Canada, lots of places that can help you here.

With regards to a pcm, go to pcm4less and get a proper VIN flashed PCM for $150 shipped. By far the cheapest and most reliable places I've had to visit. On a side note your problem is likely not PCM related. Have you tried unplugging the maf and running the car to see if it goes into limp mode?
    Here's the kind of experience and helpfulness that's on this forum. Just what you need, Brad.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.