CS Diff Bushing Install - Sleeve slid forward when tightening rear diff bolts?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CS Diff Bushing Install - Sleeve slid forward when tightening rear diff bolts? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I am replacing a CS Bushing (warranty) and adding the diff block, because the last one failed after 12000+ miles ...
    NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven

CS Diff Bushing Install - Sleeve slid forward when tightening rear diff bolts?

I am replacing a CS Bushing (warranty) and adding the diff block, because the last one failed after 12000+ miles and I could move the diff up and down with my hand, enough to tell that something wasn't right and looking more closely, the bushing had a nice crack/split in it. Kristie @ Creative Steel was extremely easy to work with and they were very generous to replace the bushing at no cost, add the diff block and send me the tool with a deposit and no rental fee, I paid for the shipping and will pay for the return shipping. Big props for an awesome vendor!

Old bushing:

The install all went well with the install although it took me MUCH longer than the 1 hour that the instructions say it should. I dropped the exhaust off the hangers, but didn't have to remove the driveshaft or exhaust to replace the bushing. It would have been MUCH easier and faster to remove the exhaust, although I just replaced the sleeve clamps on the headers and didn't want to replace them again in less than 2 weeks ;-)

The old sleeve came out like hot butter, I froze the new one overnight and it went in without having to use the CS tool once I had it lined up correctly. I did use the tool to press the last 1/4" all the way in and jacked the diff back up, lined up the front and back bolts, tightened the back bolts and then loosened them a bit to give me enough play to finish the front bolt last. The rear bolts went right in, by finger tightening them and then using a ratcheting wrench to tighten the driver/passenger sides alternating to ensure that it was being pulled back into position properly. Everything was really snug when I removed it and came apart without much issue considering that the diff has been in the car for 3 years/12K miles, but I can't figure out why it looks like it's sitting "too far" back now.

Before putting any of the bolts back:

After putting the rear bolts in and tightening them, but not yet torqued down:

Rear bolts:

When I got the front of the diff lined up and back in position, the sleeve appears to have slid back forward out of the differential. The solid bar through the bushing itself that can only fit one way in between the subframe, so I can't see how I can get it in there without it sliding out a little bit, since the rear bolts will pull the rear of the diff back when I tighten them (?). After looking more closely at the rear bolts, it looks like BOTH of the rear bushings slid back slightly and caused the front to pull back in return?

Creative Steel is closed today and I can call them tomorrow, but I'd prefer to be done with this and see if the clunk is better now :-)
    Should I be concerned or just torque the bolts down and wrap it up?
    Is this common/normal or just the new design versus the older design bushing that came out of the car?
    Does anyone else have the CS bushing and did your install turn out like the last picture?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: CS Diff Bushing Install - Sleeve slid forward when tightening rear diff bolts?

65+ views and no takers? 8-D

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: CS Diff Bushing Install - Sleeve slid forward when tightening rear diff bolts?

Sorry man, didn't reply cause I didn't have much useful to say. All I can tell you is thy doesn't look normal. Mine didn't back out like that. Let us know what Max says.

acaringnihilist is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Mine did the same thing but it seems fine.

Quote Originally Posted by acaringnihilist View Post
    Mine did the same thing but it seems fine.
    Do your rear bushings stick out like that? Everything came apart so well, I can't fathom how the bushings would have come OUT in the back and they're rusty, indicating that they've been exposed that way for some time. I don't have a picture of the rear bushings from before the install to compare to, unfortunately.

acaringnihilist is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

I don't believe so. I'll try to get under the car and snap a couple of pictures this week if my schedule allows.

Bacon V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V
    Something doesn't sound right. When i did mine, the stock bushing was an absolute bear to get out. The new one went in fine, but it had to be pressed in the whole way. Everything lined up just fine for me, even when dropped from the carrier, the diff still lined up well. Sorry i don't have a solution, but it sounds screwy

Thank you both for your input, I think the biggest difference in my removal/installation is that I'm going from one CS bushing to another and someone else had the fun of pressing out the stock bushing, but I think this was done when the diff was brand new and not in the car. This diff was purchased outright from a GM dealer, as the PO cannibalized the original diff and spent a ton of money correcting the carnage.

I've talked to Max twice over the last 2 days brainstorming what the problem could be and we're both drawing blanks. The front bushing is only supposed to control up and down movement while the rear mounts control forward and backward positioning. Maybe if the bushing was tighter in the front ear, it might not allow the sleeve to pull out so easily, but in my case it pops right out. It looks like that rear bushings "moved" back but Max confirmed that the rear bushing sleeves in his spare subframe and on his V stick out like mine do. I suppose it's possible that the rubber shrunk, but with only 49K miles?

I took the bolts out of the rear, re-pressed the bushing into the ear and reinstalled the bolts, but I can tell that it's pulling the ear back all over again. (I will upload some pictures of the gaps between the rear bushings and the ears that I took tonight) It's not a huge issue that it's moving backward 1/8"+, but the problem is that it pulls the ear pretty close to the subframe and I'd prefer to have the ear in the middle of the opening where it should be. I found some fender washers that are the same size as the ears and fit snugly over the bolt so I'm going to pull the bolts out of the rear in the morning and slip the washers in there to see if I can tighten things up without the sleeve sliding out.

Dukenuc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None
    I just installed a CS bushing and block last night. I am the second owner of an untouched and unmodified 06 V with 28k miles and my rear bushings look exactly like yours. I don't see that being a problem. I rented the installation tool and other than me leaving the emergency brake on which didn't allow the diff to drop down all the way until I realized it ...doh!....the install went well. My new bushing stayed flush with the housing. I did notice that once almost seated it took very little force to move it the rest of the way. It could be possible that whoever did your previous install did something completely improper and deformed or stretched the bore slightly which allows your bushing to move easily. Sorry not much help but at least another data point on the rear bushings.

Thanks for the additional data, that makes me feel a little better, no idea why mine wants to sit so far backward ...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.