Yeah, I mess up everything at least once - rear cradle bolt
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By darkman
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Yeah, I mess up everything at least once - rear cradle bolt in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So I dug up my BMR trailing arms and anti-hop kit and decided to install them. Not so tough but... ...
    jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Yeah, I mess up everything at least once - rear cradle bolt

So I dug up my BMR trailing arms and anti-hop kit and decided to install them. Not so tough but... last bolt... the rear driver's side cradle bolt wont go in the last inch (see pic). I took everything apart again and re-installed all the bolts but this one bolt just won't go all the way in. It's taking ~130 ft pounds right now and turning a tiny, tiny bit but I don't believe I'll get it tightened all the way. (The other side is fine.)

I've checked the threads and, while they're a tiny bit shiny (like the other side), they're not stripped. The bolt in question hand-threads in the first half of the way as well. Logically, I'm thinking the threads on the bolt or in the hole are boogered up but I just don't know how I would have done that - and how the threads could be screwed up but I can hand-thread the thing half way in.

Thoughts?

Potential fixes, assuming the threads inside the body are somehow messed up:
    Remove the rear cradle and see if I can re-tap the hole
    I have an extra BMR aluminum spacer - I could add that to take up the inch.
    I could order a new bolt?
    I could cut down the bolt

~sigh~

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

odla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac platinum 04 & Blk 05 cts-v

Re: Yeah, I mess up everything at least once - rear cradle bolt

I would just go and buy a tap and chase the threads. See if that helps.

re: chasing the threads: Yeah, that's going to have to be a loooong tap. Or, like I say, I'm going to have to drop the whole cradle - ugh

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I would not use a spacer nor cut down the bolt as either of those results in a connection using only some of the threads.

You may be able to clean up the threads in the body with a rethreading tap, a tap, or a substitute bolt with the same threads. If you use a substitute bolt you can grind two sides flat to make a "thread restoration device."

So that's a 21mm bolt - I'm unsure of the required tap. I can get out my thread pitch gauge and all that I suppose but I'm not great at figuring bolt sizing out... anyone with a recommendation for the right tap?

21mm ANSI bolts usually have a 14mm shaft and that looked like a medium thread coarseness - so is that 14m x 1.5 ?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

14 x 2.0 is coarse and 14 X 1.50 is fine. I think the 14 x 1.50 is correct.

At the bolt store (usually Sears hardware or Home Depot) I usually try to find a nut that will fit the bolt I am trying to match so, in turn I can verify the new bolt.

https://www.belmetric.com/14mm-coars...j4d39t271nmlt4

http://www.boltdepot.com/Metric_hex_...m_x_1.5mm.aspx
    rand49er and rand49er like this.

Sweetwilliebrownjr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 cts-V

Are there different length bolts maybe? I haven't had mine apart. Just a thought.

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I would not use a spacer nor cut down the bolt as either of those results in a connection using only some of the threads.

You may be able to clean up the threads in the body with a rethreading tap, a tap, or a substitute bolt with the same threads. If you use a substitute bolt you can grind two sides flat to make a "thread restoration device."
    I may have an OEM bolt I can modify to work as a thread cleaner. Did you pull the cradle up with the bolts? What do you see if you take both bolts out and look up in there with a flaslight? The cradle may have shifted on you. Make sure all four bolt holes are centered. What else did you do?

Support the rear of the cradle, take the bolt out of the other side and compare them and switch them (if they are the same), Look up into both sides where the bolts thread in. If the bolt holes aren't centered, loosen the front bolts and line up the rears first. with all bolts loose you may have to move the cradle around a bit. First make sure the big washer the bolt goes thru isn't hung up on something.

The first time I unbolted/rebolted everything together, I believe I did cinch the rear cradle up using the bolts. I'd have to guess that's when whatever is wrong happened.

Yesterday before my original message, I lowered everything again, re-centered and tried again with the same result. I didn't look up in the hole but I did look at both bolts and they looked the same - although both had threads toward the end that looked a bit shiny/less "sharp" than the other threads (but not damaged). I think I swapped the two bolts side to side when I re-tried but I'm not positive of that. It's likely I'll try that today.

I don't think the big washer is hanging up on anything but I'll look.

I have a large metric tap set on order that includes a 14 x 1.5. I'm dreading having to drop the cradle all the way (all 4 bolts) but it looks like I'll have to do that to be able to use a tap. grumble grumble grumble

Fourth time was the charm. Thanks for talking me off the ledge. I supported the rear cradle, unbolted both of the two rearmost bolts and looked up in the threaded locating "cone" on the left (problematic) side. Yes, I could see shinyness up in there (damaged threads) but I also noticed that the cone was pointing slightly left of center. Figuring I had moved it a bit in cinching up the cradle the first time, I switched to the bolt from the other side and, while cranking it down, pulled outward (to the left) a bit. It worked. I'm in and torqued to 141 back there.

BTW, I believe the threads are 2.0, not 1.5. I used a thread gauge and 1.5 didn't fit. Although I only have up to 1.75, the 1.0 aligned perfectly, just two per thread. (not that any j*ck*ss but me would ever need to worry about those bolts.)

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

Cool

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.