Heads Cam Intake Throttle Body Install Writeup - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Heads Cam Intake Throttle Body Install Writeup in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Spark Plugs / Wires / Coil Packs: Install your new spark plugs (which you dabbed some anti-seize on) and install ...
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: Heads Cam Intake Throttle Body Install Writeup

Spark Plugs / Wires / Coil Packs:

Install your new spark plugs (which you dabbed some anti-seize on) and install them in hand tight, and then a quarter turn.

I installed my plug wires onto the plugs and let them hang for now until I put the coil back on.

Now reinstall the coil packs, tighten down the (10mm – long socket) bolts and insert the spark plug wires into the coil themselves. Don’t forget to reconnect the main harness connections to the coil pack connections.

Home Stretch:

Replace your oil filter with a new one. Install 6 and (roughly a half) quarts of oil. Refill your radiator through the coolant overflow reservoir (located in back on the drivers side) with 50% Water and 50% Dexcool. I think I remember going through a little bit more than a gallon of Dexcool. Leave the cap off because once you start the car and let it idle, it will take more coolant/water.

Look around in the engine bay for any connections, grounds, extra tools, body parts, and make sure everything looks good. Now it’s time for the moment of truth!!!

Pull two fuses in the front (passenger side) fuse box. The two fuses are under the hood fuse box. There is one called ODD/INJ/COIL and one called EVEN/INJ/COIL which disable both the ignition coils and fuel injectors for each bank.

This will allow the engine to turn over with the turn of the key, but not actually start up. Crank over the key for 5 seconds and listen for any crazy noises. If nothing, you are ready to have your tuner tune you up. Or, if you are feeling good, put the fuses back in and crank it up.

Once started / Things to watch:

If it won’t idle, hold the gas down a little bit and keep it idling. Hopefully it will learn itself out.

The engine will be noisy for about 8 seconds. The lifters haven’t filled up with oil yet.

Watch the oil pressure intently!! It should come up to 30-50psi after a few seconds. If it doesn’t, shut the car off. Something isn’t right.

The engine bay is going to smoke. Coolant, oil, grease, etc is going to be burnt off.

Once you can get it idling, add water/coolant as needed. Once it’s up to operating temp, and the coolant/water is filled up, put the cap on the coolant reservoir.

Watch for leaks underneath!

If no problems, then you can drive it if you decide to. Just keep the rpm’s down under 4k for the first day. The springs need to heat cycle overnight, so it’s ok to redline the car the next day. From now on no more beating on your car until it’s reached operating temperature. Unless of course you like snapping valve springs.

If you are a little more cautious like me, call the tuner to come over and hook you up without driving it. I’m probably being too careful, but I didn’t want to wash out the rings or foul out the plugs since I added bigger injectors. Up to you.

I think that’s about it. If I missed anything, sorry let me know. I’m going to make these instructions into a .pdf, I’ll just have to add pics instead of the links. I’d like to thank jmX at ls1howto.com, Darkman on caddy forums, caddy forums, and ls1tech. I’ve learned plenty of things along the way from each. Also thanks to my buddy Lance for helping me figure out the pushrod length and the wipe pattern. He's old school.....and badass!
    jclayc and jclayc like this.

NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven

Awesome write up! Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed how-to. Glad to hear that things went well for you.

FYI - Post #11/#12 appear to be duplicate posts(?)

The two fuses I mention are under the hood fuse box. There is one called ODD/INJ/COIL and one called EVEN/INJ/COIL which disable both the ignition coils and fuel injectors for each bank.

Thanks Darkman!

nevermind....I was able to edit the thread. Whew lol

CoSteve is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Nice writeup!

You make the entire process look pretty easy..

Question for ya - how long did it take start to finish?

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Great write up! I will be using it shortly 😏

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Fantastic
    lollygagger8 and lollygagger8 like this.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

awesome, awesome, awesome...got the book, got your write-up, time to study!

Quote Originally Posted by CoSteve View Post
    Nice writeup!

You make the entire process look pretty easy..

Question for ya - how long did it take start to finish?
    It's really not that difficult if you are handy with a wrench, pay attention to detail, and are patient. I went at a leisurely pace, made sure I kept bolts with the pieces that I took off, and had everything laid out and kept separate. Made it A LOT easier when it came to reassemble. I also double checked everything, and sometimes triple checked torque values, and kept everything clean clean clean. <- The key to building any engine.

As far as how long did it take....that's a difficult question to answer, because I had to go here and there for misc parts, or wait for something to be shipped. Then it takes a few days for pushrods after you figure out which length you need. I did everything over the span of about 2 weeks. I would say you could get this done in a full weekend (as in start in the morning and work til night - stopping for lunch) IF you had all the parts lined up and ready to go. But then you would have to have a couple of sets of different length pushrods at your disposal because you wouldn't know the length without checking first.

Thanks everyone. Especially Darkman....he is the most helpful guy on the planet.

Here's a link to the conversations and some learning I did before the build. Thanks to everyone that helped me along the way!!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-got-real.html

What spark plugs are most of you running?

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

I use NGK and I believe the stock NA heat range is 6. I plan to boost mine so I will probably use 9s or 10s NGK Iridium (one heat range colder for every 100hp over stock).

Jeff James is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 V1

Wow, Great write-up!! However I don't like to read Too much so why don't you just come on over and do my conversion!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff James View Post
    Wow, Great write-up!! However I don't like to read Too much so why don't you just come on over and do my conversion!! LOL
    Lolz, my hourly rate isn't that high, but I take my time so that's what'll getcha

Jeff James is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 V1

Now hold on there a minute, a six pack and meaningful conversation won't cover all this?

FoD
    FoD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Six pack barely makes it past bumper removal at my house...
    lollygagger8 likes this.

vms4evr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

Just curious. You are running stock injectors with this setup? I didn't see them on your parts list. What does it look like on the dyno?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.