What cam setup to make over 430hp
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, What cam setup to make over 430hp in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey guys, I'm getting ready for a setup in the v. It's an 06 ls2 v and currently my tuner ...
    mike6466 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 cts v

What cam setup to make over 430hp

Hey guys, I'm getting ready for a setup in the v. It's an 06 ls2 v and currently my tuner is setting me up with a cam 228/231 114lsa. Said its a great cam but I'm not sure if its gonna break my goal in hp. It's gonna be getting long tubes, stock milled heads, port and polish on the heads, intake and full exhaust without cats. I've been thinking a lot about spraying the car and pretty site I will but I'd like to make over 430-450hp and then spray 150 and get close to 600.

My question is will this setup break that or do I need something else. I got about 2000 to spend. Already have intake and exhaust so I have 2000 for pacesetter long tubes head job and cam setup.. Also I don't want the car to be super sluggish down low for dd

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rakenjevnk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: What cam setup to make over 430hp

2000 will be cutting it close and chosing the cheaper route every time. Missing some supporting mods like lifters, new springs, ballancer, oil pump, timing chain...

diff...
    axles...

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

If you're good with a wrench, you could do it for 2000, but just barely. Cam, springs, retainers, pushrods, etc. will run about 900. Catless OBX headers will run about 500-600, leaving 400-500 for a tune. If you're gonna have to pay for labor, well then...

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    If you're good with a wrench, you could do it for 2000, but just barely. Cam, springs, retainers, pushrods, etc. will run about 900. Catless OBX headers will run about 500-600, leaving 400-500 for a tune. If you're gonna have to pay for labor, well then...
    ^^ there is ~2000 and that isn't including the head work you originally mentioned or any labor. Also as already stated, the extras while you're in there doing the cam: oil pump, new timing chain/set, lifters, new/underdrive balancer.

That cam should suit you well for what you are looking for and with the entire package you should be at least close to the lower end of your numbers with decent driveability. These cars have a good deal of d-train loss especially with the stock clutch/flywheel. Not sure how far you are planning on taking the heads down, but if you decided to get much more aggressive (no lift numbers specified above) with the cam I would def. recommend checking PTV clearances.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

what's the reason for replacing oil pump? just curious

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    Depends on mileage but mostly a "while you are in there" item and a chance to upgrade to a high volume unit.

While you are in there, on cars this age, would you also change out the water pump?

Guys don't worry I'm doing all the work. I built my cobra from the ground up with a built 9.5.1 motor for twin turbo, I know what I'm doing. I'm just trying to spec for a good cam. I have already even priced out all the parts like lifters springs etc.. And it's in my range. And pacesetters are not 500-600. I found them cheaper in the 370-480. I just need to know experience from others in cams in the v. Want something that's good for dd and spray and also good for lobe and to hit my mark.

howanicm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 cts v
    Check amazon for pacesetters. I got mine on there for under $300 shipped. As for spray. I wish i could get nitrous in hawaii

There isn't any there? Ill ship some too ya.. Haha

howanicm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 cts v

No no2 in hawaii.. There isnt a big enough market here. There was one shop but they will only go get a big bottle to fill smaller bottles if they a minimum of 6 bottles. Just outta curiosity, how much is it to fill a 10 lb bottle out there?

Quote Originally Posted by mike6466 View Post
    Guys don't worry I'm doing all the work. I built my cobra from the ground up with a built 9.5.1 motor for twin turbo, I know what I'm doing. I'm just trying to spec for a good cam. I have already even priced out all the parts like lifters springs etc.. And it's in my range. And pacesetters are not 500-600. I found them cheaper in the 370-480. I just need to know experience from others in cams in the v. Want something that's good for dd and spray and also good for lobe and to hit my mark.
    FWIW, that looks somewhat like the cam my tuner is recommending for me, except he recommended to go with a tighter LSA. I think for spray, you want a bigger LSA because you want more cylinder pressure, otherwise you lose the benefit of the spray. So on that basis, this is a good cam. Wish I could comment by experience, though. If you've started another thread on another forum, please link to it here. Those dudes usually have some more technical comments.

another forum?? What's another forum? I have it on ls1tech.

I'm just wondering if I could go with a snl v2 or v4 cam and spray it and also be very street friendly. What's everybody's take in this cam? Anyone know te specs

Or what's a big cam that's friendly with nitrous and dd

2007ThunderV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts v

lots of good cam choices out there.
    i have a tsp 233/239 on a 112 lsa that works for me, decent size cam, no surging ect. makes sweet power around 2700rpm

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.