4.0" HPS Silicon Intake Tube
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 4.0" HPS Silicon Intake Tube in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Hey, just wanted to throw up a couple of pictures of my new custom intake built using silicon HPS tubing ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

4.0" HPS Silicon Intake Tube

Hey, just wanted to throw up a couple of pictures of my new custom intake built using silicon HPS tubing (please note: there are two nearly identical HPS websites...when I called, they said to use this one) and anodized red Mike Norris catch can. When all was said and done, my total came out to roughly $350, which included:
    I also bought four t-bolt clamps @ $6 apiece: two 4.5" clamps for the coupler, plus two smaller 4.0" clamps for the ends of the intake tube.

For the Mike Norris catch can, I wound up needing to buy and epoxy a -6AN 90 degree elbow into a hole I drilled in the intake tube, and dropped a 3/8" -6AN nipple on the top of the catch can to mate with the PCV line. Please note that this is not a perfectly optimal build, for a couple of reasons:
    1. You're going to have about 6" of tube left over. The 90 degree bend has enormous (5"+) legs that need to be trimmed to fit. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a problem, but when you just dropped $200+ on a couple of feet of tube, you'll probably look at your left overs and sigh.
    2. The MAF is significantly smaller than the 4.0" tube. In order to get it to work, you'll need to take one of the pieces of 4.0" tubing that you cut off, cut a slice in it, and adhere it to the MAF flange with double-sided 3M tape. Otherwise, you'll get leakage. I suppose you could use a reducer, but I plan on moving up to a 102mm MAF soon with velocity stack and larger Amsoil air filter.
    3. The 4.5" coupler is slightly too large. As you can see by the ID and OD of the tubing, HPS doesn't actually sell something that "just works." The 4.25" coupler is 2mm too narrow, which you might be able to squeeze on, but I worried about pinching the inner walls of the tubing and creating turbulent airflow. I solved the problem with the 4.5" coupler by wrapping the outside of each 4.0" section with 6-8 layers of electrical tape and verified that it was sealed by plugging up one section and blowing for all I was worth. Almost pooped myself.
    4. The stock PCV line is 1/4" ID and won't fit over the 3/8" nipple. Fortunately, the Mike Norris catch can comes with a 3/8" line that's almost twice as long as it needs to be. Therefore, you can cut the line to fit and have plenty left over to replace your old 1/4" PCV line. You might ask: if you replaced the 1/4" line with a 3/8" line, don't you have a vacuum leak? The answer is no: the 1/4" line is a flexible POS that someone stretched quite a bit to get over the valve cover nipple. The 3/8" line seals nearly as tightly, despite being bigger, because it's incredibly thick and stiff and doesn't give.
    5. If you have the Lingenfelter airbox, you'll need to remove the last vestiges of the stock airbox bracket (located along the side wall of the bay). Fortunately, it's an easy job: there are two plastic pop rivets similar to the ones all over the rest of the car, and then it's just a tight friction fit that you'll have to muscle to get out of there. Once you do that, you've got plenty of room for the stock S&B filter included with the Lingenfelter kit, or you could choose to go even bigger.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Re: 4.0" HPS Silicon Intake Tube

Beautiful. Aren't you limited by the size of the stock throttle body? What are your goals with this intake?

Quote Originally Posted by carlson_mn View Post
    Beautiful. Aren't you limited by the size of the stock throttle body? What are your goals with this intake?
    The stock throttle body has a 90mm blade, so yes. However, the outer diameter of the throttle body matches the 102mm inner diameter of the intake tube from end to end (ID), which means that I'll be ready to rock when I drop a E-Force TVS2300 on the motor (which I believe utilizes your stock TB).

I've been talking with a couple of the guys on the LS1Tech forums, and I plan on installing the following:

1. 102mm PowrMAF ($210)
    2. Amsoil EaAU6080 air filter ($70)
    3. Spectre Velocity Stack ($25)

According to one of the guys that paid for an oil analysis, the provided S&B filter that's packaged with the Lingenfelter airbox lets in a lot of FOD. The Amsoil filter is significantly better at filtering out that garbage, and it's HUUUUGE. In order to get to fit, you have to remove the last traces of the stock airbox and basically re-attach the Lingenfelter airbox around the filter.

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

I can get forum members that filter for less than indicated above.

More than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by C66 Racing View Post
    I can get forum members that filter for less than indicated above.

More than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.
    I'm gonna be due for an oil change soon. PM'd

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I like it! My TVS2300 showed up at the house today. Unfortunately I am out of town all week. I need a new intake for the TVS. Thanks for the legwork. Once I get a look at the SC I can see if I need any different parts.

I have to ask. Where are you going to use the velocity stack. I understand what they do unless you are going to add it to the airbox I am just not seeing how to pull this off and make it effective.

Quote Originally Posted by sssnake View Post
    I have to ask. Where are you going to use the velocity stack. I understand what they do unless you are going to add it to the airbox I am just not seeing how to pull this off and make it effective.
    Lubelizard over on the LS1Tech forum used the Amsoil EaAU6080 filter (which has a 6.0" diameter flange) to fit over the Spectre Velocity Stack. I'm not quite clear on how he did it either, which is why I asked for clarification and a picture. When I know more, I'll update the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson.vanna View Post
    What are your goals with this intake?
    I know what you're asking, but I think that it's folly to have goals for an intake that, at best, might represent a 1-2% power delta. That's within the margin of error for a dyno. This is designed to support TEA ported heads and a TVS2300. If I get power or torque out of it, great, but that's not the primary objective here.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

One things for sure, I bet it sounds sick!

Quote Originally Posted by carlson_mn View Post
    One things for sure, I bet it sounds sick!
    The intake is almost silent. The only thing you can hear is the hiss of air passing through the filter, and then, only when you stick your head near it.

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Fuzz did you check to see if they can just custom make it in 1 piece instead of pieces ?
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1 View Post
    Fuzz did you check to see if they can just custom make it in 1 piece instead of pieces ?
    I didn't ask them for a custom piece, if that's what you're asking. They do offer special pieces for some of the more popular imports, but I doubt they'd do that for us since we represent a very low volume market. If you were extra paranoid about the dividing line between the tubes, you could take some silicon RTV and a clean finger and smoothen out the joint. I might do that later when I'm making a lot more power. I stuck my ear up to the coupler to see if I could detect turbulent airflow, but didn't hear anything. If I could find a stethoscope, maybe I'd have more luck.

By the way, Rob at Slowhawk says to stay away from that MAF, but didn't explain beyond "it's a LS3 MAF." Any idea why that's a bad thing?

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Not sure if your aware of this but your intake may not work with a TVS style blower. If the supercharger and idler pulley are at all similar to the MP112 in terms of positioning you cannot run a circular intake tube from the throttle body because it would interfere with the drive belt. Just something to consider

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Lubelizard over on the LS1Tech forum used the Amsoil EaAU6080 filter (which has a 6.0" diameter flange) to fit over the Spectre Velocity Stack. I'm not quite clear on how he did it either, which is why I asked for clarification and a picture. When I know more, I'll update the thread.
    If you go with the edelbrock kit for the TVS it includes the round over on the filter to intake tube junction.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

So I went from my 102mm TB (4.25") and reduced it down to fit into the Volant air intake (3.75") and stock MAF.

Do you guys think I would gain anything moving to a 102 MAF and using the larger tube like you have here? Does using aftermarket MAFs present any tuning problems?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.