New Clutch Setup
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By stepchild21
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, New Clutch Setup in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Currently have a spec 3 clutch and I can feel it getting ready to go out. I'd like to keep ...
    ellesshoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

New Clutch Setup

Currently have a spec 3 clutch and I can feel it getting ready to go out. I'd like to keep the drive ability as close to stock as possible and had plans on going with the LS7 setup from Lindsay. After reading a couple other threads I'm worrying it may not handle the power. Currently running a Maggie with headers, no cats, and magnaflow exhaust. The pedal is very stiff on the spec 3 which is fine for driving every now and then but it gets tiring everyday. Will the LS7 be enough or should I head in another direction? Also, Should I keep the lightweight flywheel or go stock ls7?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Re: New Clutch Setup

Quote Originally Posted by ellesshoe View Post
    Currently have a spec 3 clutch and I can feel it getting ready to go out. I'd like to keep the drive ability as close to stock as possible and had plans on going with the LS7 setup from Lindsay. After reading a couple other threads I'm worrying it may not handle the power. Currently running a Maggie with headers, no cats, and magnaflow exhaust. The pedal is very stiff on the spec 3 which is fine for driving every now and then but it gets tiring everyday. Will the LS7 be enough or should I head in another direction? Also, Should I keep the lightweight flywheel or go stock ls7?
    Hey, I got your PM on the LS1Tech forums, and figured I'd answer here so that other people can chime in.

I've read a lot of stories of Maggied CTS-V owners that really like their LS7 clutches. I like mine, but I'm only putting out 422 RWHP / 383 RWTQ naturally aspirated. The clutch has excellent street manners, but it engages fairly close to the floor. Highly recommend a lightweight flywheel, although you'll probably want to improve your harmonic damper if you go all the way down to a 13 lb Fidanza like I have.

The F1 Racing Stage 1 clutch is essentially an OEM GM LS7 clutch with a powdercoating added (useless, obviously) and their 20.4 lb chromoly steel flywheel, which I loved when I had one. If I were you, I'd try the F1 Racing LS7 MF package, which is another $70 over the Stage 1, but has significantly more holding power and claims to retain similar manners.

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

I'm running an LS7 clutch with my maggie and love it so far.

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

You can always step it up to the LS9 setup from the ZR1. I think Katech has a couple of different options LS9X and LS9R
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V
    I'm running an LS7 clutch with my maggie and love it so far.
    Are you running stock ls7 flywheel? Any idea how long the ls7 clutch has been in?

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

The ls9 clutches from katech are very nice, but unless you're pushing 550+ rwhp I would say it is a little overkill. Don't get me wrong, it's a great, smooth, easy clutch, but it's double the cost of a quality single disc that would do the same job for you.

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

I have had the LS7 with my maggied V for about 6 months now...450 rwhp /430 rwtq and it is holding up no problem. I love it.

EDIT...using stock LS7 flywheel.

Fuzzy,

I messaged grip-force about the clutch package you linked. They claim this setup will not work on a cts-v. Am I missing something? From what I've read it seems like the same setup as an ls

OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V

Are you running stock ls7 flywheel? Any idea how long the ls7 clutch has been in?
    Yes I am running the stock LS7 flywheel. I put the clutch in about 1500 miles ago. Prior to that i had the LS9X clutch but had significant problems getting it to fully disengage. I had it apart several times measuring slave throw and checking the need for spacers. I even added a spacer and replace my master but never fixed the problem. However I seem to be the only person who has had a problem with the LS9X clutch. needless to say that clutch was only in for about 4K miles before i pulled it out and put in the ls7.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Fuzzy,

I messaged grip-force about the clutch package you linked. They claim this setup will not work on a cts-v. Am I missing something? From what I've read it seems like the same setup as an ls
    Who's Grip-Force? If it's a LS7 clutch, it should work just fine. Could you ask them/him to elaborate?

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Luke at Lindsay sells the whole LS7 kit with everything you need. Give him a call...
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

Mn800r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 V Coupe, 05 V Mod'd, 91 Fatboy,98 Ultra classic, 07 Tahoe

Here's the link on my LS7 install with part #'s. YOU DO NOT NEED A SPACER. Pedal is high which I HATE! Compared to the stage 3 monster I replaced. Pedal feel on the ls7 is half of the monster which is nice, Ram flywheel is same weight as the monster but the clutch is 9lbs hevier, that has changed my idle in which is not as crisp as in the video on my link. Has more of a slight mod idle know which also really sucks, if i would of known that, I would have paid the extra $600 for the stage 3 monster. Current mileage is about 1200 on the clutch, so far so good. Good luck

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...h-hold-up.html

stepchild21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    While you have it apart toss the stock slave cylinder and use the ls7. Then guaranteed you won't need a spacer and will also be sure that you have a slave that won't fail after a month or two after driving
    Mn800r and Mn800r like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.