Katech/Aftermarket shifter installation (w/o removing exhaust/shaft/trans)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Katech/Aftermarket shifter installation (w/o removing exhaust/shaft/trans) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; These are notes I felt were needed following this how-to ( http://www.trafficjams.ca/Performanc...9SuedeKnob.htm ) as it was no where detailed enough ...
    mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black

Katech/Aftermarket shifter installation (w/o removing exhaust/shaft/trans)

These are notes I felt were needed following this how-to (http://www.trafficjams.ca/Performanc...9SuedeKnob.htm) as it was no where detailed enough for me. A supplemental if you will.

TL;DR (cliff notes): You can R&R any shifter w minimal parts removal but it's a PITA. Get PISNUOFF's shifter or UUC.

----

I installed the same katech shifter (purchased from lingenfelter) without removing anything other than the center console (apparently also not needed) and ran into a few issues not really covered. If you follow the how-to or a variation of it, you will probably need a second person. If you're going solo, you'll need to follow the included instructions, be a bit creative or have good dexterity and mechanical ability. I highly recommend removing the exhaust regardless the method as the kit includes exhaust gaskets. The rest I don't believe is absolutely necessary though it'd be more convenient.

I also highly recommend a ratcheting wrench in 10mm and 13mm vs a regular wrench and/or ratchet/socket combo. The 10mm for most of the interior bolts/nuts and the 13mm for the linkage itself.

So on to the how-to install (my addendum/notes):
    When removing the center console follow the same instructions EXCEPT pulling up and popping off the plastic rivets/welds from the console to support bracket. You can unbolt the bracket and be able to move the console out of the way with it still attached.

With this how-to you will be drilling the rivets from the "wrong" side of the rivet. Make sure you drill it centered as it is possible to oval the holes in the linkage plate. After you finish drilling, sweep and/or use some compressed air to remove the filings.

When you go under the vehicle you will see why it is preferable to remove the exhaust as it is fairly cramped. I believe it was a 3mm allen needed for the bolt and 13mm for the nut. In the how-to there is no mention of exhaust removal though it is clear from the pictures it was taken off prior. If you do not remove the exhaust, the ratcheting wrench will earn its keep as it feels almost too tight for a ratchet/socket, even a 1/4".

When reinstalling, this is where a second person will help tremendously. You should ensure the shifter bushing in the shifter are fully seated into the shaft as well.

The bolts included to replace the rivets in my kit were SAE using a 3/16 allen while the nut was metric 10mm. It is close enough that it will thread but for obvious reasons will slightly round the threads on the bolt. In any case, you will need that second person to either hold the allen from the console side or to tighten the nut from the underside. If you replace either the bolt or nut, I recommend using loctite.

For the boot and nut, I just used the nut as a spacer to raise the knob up slightly. The kit includes two washers and I assembled it in this order: nut, washer, boot, washer, knob.

As with all how-to's on the internet, take it with a grain of salt, allocate more time than you think you need, save the beers for the after mod celebration and most of all, a little bit of common sense goes a long way.

Note on the Katech shifter itself:
    The shifter does it's intended job (the throw is roughly halved and shifts are more positive) and is a quality piece however if I had to do it again I'd go with PISNUOFF's custom short shifter with the UUC bushings and save a bit of money or if i needed to go aftermarket, spend a bit more and get the UUC. The main drawback with the Katech I feel is the threading they used is an oddball 5/8 18 which is not "industry standard" and I can't see why they didn't use 16mm x 1.5.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PISNUOFF Guest

Re: Katech/Aftermarket shifter installation (w/o removing exhaust/shaft/trans)

It's not necessary to remove the center console either. That will save some time. The 10mm ratchet wrench is a must for the nuts inside the console. I send 1" long 1/4-20 bolts to replace the rivets. The longer length really helps.

winstonlv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 ctsv

I installed my Katech V1 shifter solo without any problems. As far as the threading, I don't feel it is a drawback at all. Hell they include the 5/8-18 tap with the shifter! The UUC is not threaded, I don't believe the PISNUOFF is either.

mackey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Black
    Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    It's not necessary to remove the center console either. That will save some time. The 10mm ratchet wrench is a must for the nuts inside the console. I send 1" long 1/4-20 bolts to replace the rivets. The longer length really helps.
    thinking back, i didnt think so either but it was my first time attempting it and figured there was more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by winstonlv View Post
    I installed my Katech V1 shifter solo without any problems. As far as the threading, I don't feel it is a drawback at all. Hell they include the 5/8-18 tap with the shifter! The UUC is not threaded, I don't believe the PISNUOFF is either.
    if it wasnt a PITA doing it yourself following the same method, then you're more mechanically inclined than I. I needed help bolting it back together.

when i say its main drawback it is still a minor issue at most. with the odd threading it limits your choices of knobs. and if it was meant for the stock knob anyway then having it press fit the same way would make more sense to me if not using the "standard" 16mm sizing

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

yea i agree with knock on the shift knob threading. it should be the same as an F-body or vette, more cars sold so cheaper option + i dont want to deal with re-threading a knob i already paid $ for..

check this: https://www.speeddawg.com/shifter-thread-sizes
    NO other Car uses 5/8-18

9t8z28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

You can use a F-body black or white ball with the 6 speed pattern

PISNUOFF Guest

I threaded mine and made an adapter.

JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys

When I installed my B&M, I didn't remove the console, exhaust (Corsa), driveshaft, trans or anything else...just removed the knob and boot, and took the stock shifter out. Drilled 2 holes through rivets. Put the B&M in. Wife from above and me below, for the 2 bolts. Done.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.