If you could do only first which would it be.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, If you could do only first which would it be. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; It's either a cam and tune session, or Kooks, exhaust, and tune session. I'm undecided on this one. Can't do ...
    ctsvoom is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cts-v

If you could do only first which would it be.

It's either a cam and tune session, or Kooks, exhaust, and tune session. I'm undecided on this one. Can't do both at the same time right now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Talyon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth CTSV & 2004 SRX V8 AWD
    Im at the same crossroad

howanicm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 cts v
    I think without headers you will be sacrificing alot on what you can do with a cam and a tune.. the cam controls how much air is "allowed" to go into and OUT of the engine. Where as the oem exhaust manifolds will restrict the amount of air your cam will let out. With that said get headers and save the tune for after you get your cam.

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Re: If you could do only first which would it be.

I put on headers and CAI and found that I am running really rich. I was planning to wait on the tune till after cam, but I am bringing up the tune sooner. You will need a tune after headers.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I would do the headers/exhaust/tune first. Many tuners will charge significantly less for follow-up tunes once you have purchased the intial tune.

The only iron-clad rule on the chronological sequence of mods is to get a cam designed to work with the set-up you intend to end up with regardless of when in the sequence it is installed.

However, cams designed to work with headers will often provide very little gain when installed with stock exhaust manifolds and cats. And cams designed to work with stock exhaust manifolds will gain a lot less once the headers arrive as compared with a cam designed for headers.

So if you are going to both a cam and headers, but want some immediate gratification - do the headers first.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Or you can do it all at once. But you'll need a retune if you don't install catalytic converters.

Don't have all the cash to do it at once but could wait until I do I guess. The last tuner i used gave a pretty good discount after the initial tune. I'll have to ask this one about that. I don't want to get too crazy with the cam, but headers and cam will likely be the extent of my mods on the performance side.

I know it shouldn't matter but it does. What kind of mileage gets sacrificed here? I only ask as on my truck after we did heads and a cam in it I lost nearly 5-6 mpg on it. Has a nice loping sound but doesn't seem like that radical of a cam. So just a curious question.

After my cam/heads/intake and tune my highway mileage improved. I believe my around town mileage would have improved, except I can't seem to keep my right foot under control with the mods.

Maxwell Power is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkman
    After my cam/heads/intake and tune my highway mileage improved. I believe my around town mileage would have improved, except I can't seem to keep my right foot under control with the mods.
    What cam are you running?

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    That's an excellent point. Sometimes, people claim they lost mileage because they start driving harder. I'm not sure why people claim they lose mileage with these modifications, unless they had a bad port job done on their heads followed by a bad tune.

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

Don't want to thread jack but I have a quick question.

What are you guys running as far as heads go? I was looking at some that are well over $1k and that's kind of a lot IMO. What kind of power levels are you guys getting with a stock head that is ported a bit? I want to get at least 450whp though, and I'm hoping to get there without a supercharger. But im a little skeptical that head port, cam, headers, injectors, and a tune will get me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell Power View Post
    What cam are you running?
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s-maggies.html

I know I'll get the Kooks with cats, are the 1-3/4 ample for the future of only a cam? There will be no induction, nitrous, or major motor changes.

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

How long before you can do both mods and tune? If it's not too far I would just wait. If it's going to be a while, I would do the cam and tune.

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Exhaust first IMO. There are fairly large gains to be had by going w headers and hi flow cats or cat delete. It is just free power IMO. No more stress on valvetrain or any other part of the engine and there are a few sales on headers right now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.