uh oh, loud ticking from the right side of my engine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, uh oh, loud ticking from the right side of my engine in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; uh oh, after a good day at NJMP, I'm hearing a ticking noise from the right side of the engine ...
    jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

uh oh, loud ticking from the right side of my engine

uh oh, after a good day at NJMP, I'm hearing a ticking noise from the right side of the engine all through 2nd that speeds up w/ RPMs. In 3rd, it dissipates and I can't hear it any more after that.

Bad gas or valve or...?
    05 CTS-V (390hp/383tq) forged pistons & H Beam rods, balanced crank, TFS 220s, YT 1.7 rockers, Comp Cam 229/239 .627"/.621" 111.5+3, Super Damper, 63lb injectors, Fast 92, 90mm TB, LS7 clutch, RAM flywheel, Alradco, Kooks, Magnaflow, Volant CAI, MSD starter, CS Red MMs, roll bar, RaceTech seats, 6pt harnesses, remote oil & PS coolers, KWv3s, v2 brakes, Carbotech XR1s, 2pc rotors, Hotchkis sways, Revshift red bushings, BMR toe rods, trailing arms & anti-hop kit, Powergrid endlinks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: uh oh, loud ticking from the right side of my engine

It could be nothing but a lifter taking time to fill with oil. However, given the propensity of LS6 springs to break, and the more infrequent tendency of the rocker arms to cough up needle bearings, I would pull the valve covers and look things over.

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

LOL probably a long shot but check your spark plugs. I had one loose in my 07 and it ticked like crazy. The metal heat shield around the plug wire was also making noise from the vibration of the loose plug. Pretty hilarious.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...se-solved.html

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V
    Chasing a tick in my sons 98 WS6 and all I have to say is GOOD LUCK! Finding ticks in these things is like finding a needle in a hay stack.

What I've done to date might help... Get a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can locate the sound (I haven't had much luck with this but it may help u narrow things down).

Remove the valve covers like Darkman said and check rockers, rods, and springs.

Check for exhaust leaks around the manifold.

check all plugs to make sure they are tight.

You may want to run it with belts off for a very short time to see if it is in one of the accessories.

Pull the oil pan and check the pump and screen (obstructions to the screen or problems with the pump can cause a tick).

Pull the heads and inspect/repair/replace the lifters.

If absolutely all else fails you can pull the engine and check the crank, wrist pins, and connecting rods. I haven't gotten to this stage yet and hope I never do.

I may have left a few things out but this is what I have found to date. I have also heard mixed reports about the harmonic balancer causing ticks. Currently we are at the oil pump stage but the tick is so loud I doubt it is the problem.

PISNUOFF Guest

It's curious that it goes away in 3rd. Like stated above, pull valve cover and check springs and rockers. Check plugs and wires and exhaust manifolds. Then pull the heads and replace lifters if the other items are ok. Pulling to oil pan is major work as the cross member won't allow it without basically pulling the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    It's curious that it goes away in 3rd. Like stated above, pull valve cover and check springs and rockers. Check plugs and wires and exhaust manifolds. Then pull the heads and replace lifters if the other items are ok. Pulling to oil pan is major work as the cross member won't allow it without basically pulling the motor.
    Can you release the motor mounts and use a cherry picker to lift the motor enough to gain access?

JFensty is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Blk Cts-V
    My injectors seem to be the source of some of my ticking. They are pretty loud

PISNUOFF Guest

There is less than an inch to start with and I think about 1.5" before the trans hits the tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    There is less than an inch to start with and I think about 1.5" before the trans hits the tunnel.
    Gotcha

Thanks for the great replies - I think the trifecta of exhaust leak/check under the valve covers/check the spark plugs route is how I'll proceed.

I'm not sure that this is the cause but I think it's an exhaust leak at the head. As I was PBBlasting my header bolts this AM to get ready for my Kooks install, I noticed... the front right bolt head on the stock manifold is already sheared off - somehow. The headers/heads have never been off... the "sheared" part of the remaining stud is still a bit shiny, so my assumption is that ???it sheared off while driving (hard)??? last weekend

I'm still going to inspect the rockers/springs/etc.

and I'm not sure it goes away deep in 3rd and beyond - it may just be I don't/can't hear it.
    05 CTS-V (390hp/383tq) forged pistons & H Beam rods, balanced crank, TFS 220s, YT 1.7 rockers, Comp Cam 229/239 .627"/.621" 111.5+3, Super Damper, 63lb injectors, Fast 92, 90mm TB, LS7 clutch, RAM flywheel, Alradco, Kooks, Magnaflow, Volant CAI, MSD starter, CS Red MMs, roll bar, RaceTech seats, 6pt harnesses, remote oil & PS coolers, KWv3s, v2 brakes, Carbotech XR1s, 2pc rotors, Hotchkis sways, Revshift red bushings, BMR toe rods, trailing arms & anti-hop kit, Powergrid endlinks

Prentice is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 cts-v

My same bolt was sheared off to.Ended up having to pull the head,i could never succsefully remove it with it on the engine.

Hope you have better luck.

Good news - two days soaking with pbblaster and all the other header bolts came off w no problem. (The car only has 46k miles.). Vice grips worked on the broken stud as well. - told my wife I was the luckiest man in the world...

I checked the plugs and under the valve covers and everything looks fine...

Time to do motor mounts and put the kooks on tomorrow.
    Houdini, Houdini, shadybx7 and 3 others like this.

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Noticed your sig JC. Let's see your custom brake ducting please.

I'll take pics tomorrow - driver's side uses a z06 duct and 3" hose. Passenger side has a 45 degree silicone elbow reducer 3" to 2" with 2" ducting around the wheel. Does ok with 275/35s...

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
    Quote Originally Posted by jclayc
    I'll take pics tomorrow - driver's side uses a z06 duct and 3" hose. Passenger side has a 45 degree silicone elbow reducer 3" to 2" with 2" ducting around the wheel. Does ok with 275/35s...
    Thank you sir.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.