Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have an 04 with 47K and a 07 rear end and the Gforce1320 upgraded passenger axle, however the shop ...
  1. #1
    NCOGNITO's Avatar
    NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    274

    Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

    I have an 04 with 47K and a 07 rear end and the Gforce1320 upgraded passenger axle, however the shop says that it's likely the CV joints and the differential bushing it shot, which is causing the famous clunk/vibration.

    The previous owner reportedly replaced the bushing with a Creative Steel bushing 10K miles ago, but it is shot from the play in the drivetrain that they saw on the lift. They want to pull the axles, drop the cradle and drop the diff to replace the diff bushing and check the driveshaft for balance while it's out. While they have the axles out, they could further diagnose the popping noise, but everything under the car is tight so they strongly suspect that it's 1 or more bad CV joints. I've read that the bushing is a fairly easy DIY task without removing the entire rear-end, as long as you have the diff bushing removal tool, so this might be something I tackle myself.

    Is there a way to diagnose WHICH CV joint is bad without pulling the axles? The sound is "switching sides", so it could be both rear (outside) CV joints. From what I can find, you can't just buy a CV stub, you need to buy an entire axle or buy aftermarket CV joints at a couple of hundred dollars each and without knowing which one(s) is bad or buy 1000HP axles, that I honestly do not need. I don't plan on tracking/dragging/racing the car so upgrading to indestructible axles isn't something I need to do.

    Anyone have any stock stubs that are in working condition (shipped to 27529) or have a recommendation on how to buy CV replacements for street use?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    6,796

    Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

    Well I have a set of 2006 OEM axles with very few miles on them in the classifieds. These are 1.50 inch diameter rather than the 1.25 inch diameter found on the 04/05 models. I upgraded to these for a short time before going the 1000 hp axles.

  4. #3
    NCOGNITO's Avatar
    NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    274

    Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

    I looked back 6 months and didn't see them listed in the classifieds? Link and price?

  5. #4
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    6,796

    Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints


  6. #5
    djc974023 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cadillac cts
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Age
    22
    Posts
    5
    Has anyone replaced the rear differential bushing I need to do mine and don't want to pay the dealership money i really don't have if I can do it myself

  7. #6
    NCOGNITO's Avatar
    NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    274

    Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

    For the CTS-V ... yes, but the removal tool helps with removal and installation of the bushing --> http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l-removal.html

    I think the process is different for the CTS (non-V) ... ?

  8. #7
    Crash-Override is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    South Nashville
    Age
    34
    Posts
    89
    Replacing diff bushing took me about 2 hours when I did it for my first time... The only issue I ran into was that my gen IV diff has extra fins on the driver side so it wasn't letting it drop low enough for the tool without taking the exhaust off the hangers.

    I bet know I could do it within an hour.

  9. #8
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    6,796

    Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

    Quote Originally Posted by NCOGNITO View Post
    Is there a way to diagnose WHICH CV joint is bad without pulling the axles? The sound is "switching sides", so it could be both rear (outside) CV joints.
    Under what circumstances do you hear the noise? (i.e. when going straight or around corners?, high speed/low speed?)

  10. #9
    NCOGNITO's Avatar
    NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    274

    Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

    Low speed only, backing up out of the garage and then going forward used to be a single pop and now is multiple pops. If I go forward and then backward at less than 5 MPH I can replicate the noise almost every time. Once I'm up to speed, I don't hear it making any noises. I have almost no rear diff noise/whine, a little bit at 45 MPH and sometimes at higher speeds if I'm on it full throttle and no whining/groaning to suggest hub bearing failure.

    It doesn't seem to be associated with turning, I can do multiple figure 8's in any direction in a parking lot and never hear the noise. Likely because there's no change between forward/reverse direction? I hear it nearly every time I pull into a parking spot, then reverse out and go forward again. The only other thing that throws me off is if I turn into my housing addition drive straight for one block, make a rolling 90 degree right turn onto my street at low speeds, I can occasionally hear it when I'm already moving in one direction.

    I'm going to pull the wheels off and see if the axle nuts are loose. Not sure if this would contribute, but it's worth a shot. The shop double-checked the cradle, ball joint, shock nuts and everything is tight and the noise still occurs.

  11. #10
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    6,796

    Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

    Quote Originally Posted by NCOGNITO View Post
    Low speed only, backing up out of the garage and then going forward used to be a single pop and now is multiple pops. If I go forward and then backward at less than 5 MPH I can replicate the noise almost every time. Once I'm up to speed, I don't hear it making any noises. I have almost no rear diff noise/whine, a little bit at 45 MPH and sometimes at higher speeds if I'm on it full throttle and no whining/groaning to suggest hub bearing failure.

    It doesn't seem to be associated with turning, I can do multiple figure 8's in any direction in a parking lot and never hear the noise. Likely because there's no change between forward/reverse direction? I hear it nearly every time I pull into a parking spot, then reverse out and go forward again. The only other thing that throws me off is if I turn into my housing addition drive straight for one block, make a rolling 90 degree right turn onto my street at low speeds, I can occasionally hear it when I'm already moving in one direction.

    I'm going to pull the wheels off and see if the axle nuts are loose. Not sure if this would contribute, but it's worth a shot. The shop double-checked the cradle, ball joint, shock nuts and everything is tight and the noise still occurs.
    That description eliminates the possible cause I had in mind. If the noise was happening in slow speed cornering it might involve the cluch packs in the limited slip differential. Those clutches can become noisey if the differential fluid does not have the right friction coeefficient, which is easily correctable.

  12. #11
    NCOGNITO's Avatar
    NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    274

    Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

    Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    That description eliminates the possible cause I had in mind. If the noise was happening in slow speed cornering it might involve the cluch packs in the limited slip differential. Those clutches can become noisey if the differential fluid does not have the right friction coeefficient, which is easily correctable.
    Thanks - That was my first suspicion too, I drained the fluid in there and replaced with M1 75W140 and GM LS additive (friction modifier). The noise wasn't any worse or better after the fluid change and there was minimal metal on the magnetic plug. I wasn't familiar with what the clutch pack noise sounded like, so I took it in and the local shop assures me that the rear diff is not causing the problem.

  13. #12
    darkman's Avatar
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    6,796

    Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

    The clutch pack noise is "chatter" rather that clunky.

  14. #13
    nvthev's Avatar
    nvthev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 cts-v
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midcoast me
    Posts
    118

    Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

    I know I had a popping noise in the front of my truck (GMC) it was the outer cv joint. I found if I pulled on the shaft the bad joint moved around more then the others and the boot had a small tear.
    Not sure this will work in the caddy, but I trought id toss it in there.

  15. #14
    Sweetwilliebrownjr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 cts-V
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Brandon, ms
    Age
    33
    Posts
    60

    Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

    If you're going down the road in gear, and just let off the gas, you should hear the noise if it's cv joints. That will put a load on them in the opposite direction. I guess it's always possible that it could still be the cvs even if you don't hear the noise, but in the ten years or so I've been turning wrenches for a living, it has always held true.

  16. #15
    NCOGNITO's Avatar
    NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    36
    Posts
    274

    Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwilliebrownjr View Post
    If you're going down the road in gear, and just let off the gas, you should hear the noise if it's cv joints. That will put a load on them in the opposite direction. I guess it's always possible that it could still be the cvs even if you don't hear the noise, but in the ten years or so I've been turning wrenches for a living, it has always held true.
    Thanks - I'll give this a shot in the morning. There isn't much else that is a moving part in the area where I can hear the sound, the wheel doesn't wobble when grabbing at 12 and 6, nor do I hear bearing noises so it really only leaves the axles/CV joints. After looking at it on the lift this morning, the previous owner likely did some weekend warrior launches with the car which would explain the beefed up rear end and potentially contribute to failing CV joints. Dumping the clutch at 5K RPM would do that 8-D

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting