Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; That definitely helps, I'll check that out. Anyone want to volunteer the "right" or safest way to use a jackstand ...
    NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven

Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

That definitely helps, I'll check that out. Anyone want to volunteer the "right" or safest way to use a jackstand on the CTS-V rear? I've seen someone else that used the jackstand directly under the cradle and mine fit really well under there, but will that support the entire rear end safely?

Specifically, the axle write up says to use the jack under the control arm to get the lower shock bolt out and I can't do that if the jack is still under the car (in addition to the jack stand). In the 6th picture down, I see the jackstand somewhat parallel to the rear diff judging by the drain pan location, where is this being used as support? (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...stall-how.html)

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Use jackstands (2) on the side jacking points and keep the jack free to use under the control arms to relieve tension on fasteners as necessary.
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...all/index.html
    NC-V, NC-V, NCOGNITO and 1 others like this.

In gear, with the wheels still on, I feel no slop in the axles or CV joints at all. Unable to twist, wobble or pull either axle in and out of the diff/hub, so I'm extremely optimistic that it's the CV joints. All of the boots are intact and no signs of leakage. I'm still going to pull the axle and the boots to take a look inside ...

Dis-assembly went well, except I can't seem to get the ball joint bolt to budge from the hub assembly. Everything else came off without much effort so far.

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

FYI, your video sounds exactly like my car. Which happened exactly after upgrading the axle shafts to GForce ones. They click any time you start moving, or let off the gas. If I grab the shaft, I can't rotate it, nor push it front-back. But I can slide it side-side and it clicks when doing that.

I would have thought mine would be exceptionally greased, as I tried to leave as much grease as possible in the joint, then add the extra that GForce provided (it didn't seem like nearly enough to fill the joint if I wiped all the old out).

Also, you don't need to separate the ball joint from the knuckle. The axle shaft will come out with that still in place. Nor did I have a ratcheting 21mm.

Got the ball joint free pretty easily, used a clamp on the hub and the top of the bolt to gently press and it popped right out. Was too tired last night to think of something so simple.

Aurora40 - So what was the fix for the popping noise? Mine seems to be getting worse, rather than a constant occurrence. If I go back to the stock axle, would the popping go away, like it's the axle pulling in and out of the hub? I couldn't wiggle it any direction, so I can't really tell if it's the axle or coming from inside the rear diff, as someone else suggested. The rear diff makes no where near enough noise to suggest that something is seriously wrong inside of it though.

I imagine this axle has been in there for 10K miles and I didn't hear the noise for the first 1000 miles I owned the car, but it's very prominent and getting worse. When I had the car in the air, I also noticed that the outer CV joint did have some fair amount of play when turning the wheel forward and then immediately backward, there was a 1/8" "lag" between one direction and the other where I could see the CV joint flexing and the axle not moving. I turned and turned it and could not get either side to pop when turning by hand. The passenger side (that has the GForce axle) definitely has more play in the CV joint than the stock driver's side.

Aurora40 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '06 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by NCOGNITO View Post
    Aurora40 - So what was the fix for the popping noise? Mine seems to be getting worse, rather than a constant occurrence.
    I don't know of a fix, mine just keeps clicking. That said, mine is not a worsening thing. That's just what they did after I installed the axles. I doubt going back to the stock axle on the same CV's will fix anything.

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by NCOGNITO View Post
    When I had the car in the air, I also noticed that the outer CV joint did have some fair amount of play when turning the wheel forward and then immediately backward, there was a 1/8" "lag" between one direction and the other where I could see the CV joint flexing and the axle not moving. I turned and turned it and could not get either side to pop when turning by hand. The passenger side (that has the GForce axle) definitely has more play in the CV joint than the stock driver's side.
    Yeah... that's the kind of play I was talking about, not good. That is most likely where your noise is coming from and it probably won't make noise when you're just turning it. No way you can put the load that the vehicle would put on it, and any wear mark/groove or piece of debri could make a noise. Most likely some debri or contaminants got in the cv while swapping the axle out, or lack of lubrication and that is causing wear on the races leaving you with some play and the noise.

Mn800r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 V Coupe, 05 V Mod'd, 91 Fatboy,98 Ultra classic, 07 Tahoe

I have the same noise, I have g-force axles also and I swear it's coming from the front end?.... This sucks.. Keep on it.

Wanted to update this, even though the update is less than helpful. After 3 "slumber-cations" at the Cadillac dealership, they resolved the problem.

1) Visit 1 - Took the car in for failed motor mount, seeping radiator, popping noise from the left rear (?) and differential gear noise (minor noise at 39 MPH). The motor mounts, radiator and rear diff were replaced under warranty. Rear diff was exhibiting "excessive backlash" causing the popping noise and minimal gear whine.
    Outcome: Car felt like a million bucks and was no longer spraying antifreeze all over the place, but the popping noise is still occurring at low speeds even though the entire drivetrain was reassmbled to do the diff swap and it passed the 21 point inspection with flying colors. Absolutely no gear noise or vibration at 40+ MPH speeds.

2) Visit 2 - Took the car back in the following Monday morning - Dealership says the "noise" is "normal" due to the Creative Steel differential bushing not allowing the differential to flex as intended and it passed the 21 point inspection with flying colors (again). The service department says that they'll have the mechanic explain it to me when I pick it up. When I get there, the mechanic is tied up and I speak with the Service Manager, his recommendation is that I pay to have the stock bushing put back in, to see if that solves the problem since aftermarket bushings deviate from "factory equipment." I explained that I agree an upgraded bushing will cause some stiffness and gear noise, but will not cause a sudden popping noise like I'm hearing. They swear they checked all the axles/CVs, etc. when they had it apart and ask if I can demonstrate the noise (again). We drive less than 50 feet and I demonstrate the noise by backing up and going forward again without turning at all. The manager looks at me and says "That's not a bushing noise." and asks if I'm willing to leave it longer to let them track down the problem.

3) Visit "3" - I leave the car there and get a call 2 days later that it's ready to be picked up. The service department says that they found "debris/rust" on the passsenger axle spline/wheel hub joint that was causing the popping noise. It was disassembled, cleaned and reassembled to resolve the problem.
    Outcome: I personally disassembled and reassembled the passenger side axle when I pulled the G-Force axle and there was no rust found nor was there any change in the popping noise (severity or frequency) when I reassembled it prior to the trip to the dealership. I'm not sure where the problem was unless it was really the driver's side, which they pulled and reassembled when doing the differential the first time around anyway. The axles and CV's were not replaced or repaired in any way.

Bottom line - The car runs and drives great, no gear noise, no clunk, no popping noise(s) after spending a long time "living" at the dealership. By no means was this the dealership's fault other than having to twist their arm to find the popping noise and not allow them to blame it on the aftermarket parts that were installed. The service staff stepped up to the plate and found the problems, resolved them and were more than fair with what I had to pay out of pocket to have a ton of work done on the car, Visits 2 and 3 were $0 for me and I'll continue to have a majority of my service and warranty work done by the same dealership.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Never saw this thread until now, but I knew it was the stub splines just from hearing about what you guys are experiencing. The splines are not machined uniform, and after being installed for a while will "pop" with a load applied. This used to happen on the C/K pick-ups and Tahoe's as well (since back in '99), you would hear/feel an audible "thud" on initial take off from a dead stop.

The "fix" that we all found was to use a triangular file and file every spline on the shafts, then apply white lithium grease to keep rust/debris out of the splines or just keep them from sticking. We used to have to do this to Corvette's also, since way back in the day ('85 or so).

The "loose bolt" story is pretty creative, and probably nothing more than creative writing on the part of the technician in order to get paid for the legitimate time that he/she spent tracking this down. GM does not pay for rust removal from splines.

carlson_mn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Platinum 06 CTS-V, kooks, magnaflow

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    Never saw this thread until now, but I knew it was the stub splines just from hearing about what you guys are experiencing. The splines are not machined uniform, and after being installed for a while will "pop" with a load applied. This used to happen on the C/K pick-ups and Tahoe's as well (since back in '99), you would hear/feel an audible "thud" on initial take off from a dead stop.

The "fix" that we all found was to use a triangular file and file every spline on the shafts, then apply white lithium grease to keep rust/debris out of the splines or just keep them from sticking. We used to have to do this to Corvette's also, since way back in the day ('85 or so).

The "loose bolt" story is pretty creative, and probably nothing more than creative writing on the part of the technician in order to get paid for the legitimate time that he/she spent tracking this down. GM does not pay for rust removal from splines.
    I just installed a single driver-side GForce axle with CV's (not from my original axle) and it is making the popping noise from the back end when making slower speed turns or transitions. You can almost feel it, kind of like the axle is sliding a bit, but I'm not sure. I do not get any noises when engine braking in gear.

I'm a little confused on how the spline issue described above is causing this issue but I'll try anything I can to clear this up.

I never had any popping noise down-shifting or decelerating, it was exclusively when I was changing directions or accelerating from a stop or rolling turn.

I'd be happy to discuss my experience with you, if it will help you knock it out. PM me your email/phone number and I'll call you?

I'll do that. Whatever I learn from it after going at it I'll post here for others to gather someday.

DMM
    DMM is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by carlson_mn View Post
    I just installed a single driver-side GForce axle with CV's (not from my original axle) and it is making the popping noise from the back end when making slower speed turns or transitions. You can almost feel it, kind of like the axle is sliding a bit, but I'm not sure. I do not get any noises when engine braking in gear.

I'm a little confused on how the spline issue described above is causing this issue but I'll try anything I can to clear this up.
    Is this something that occurred after installation, or was this pre-existing? Sounds as if something may not be assembled completely/correctly. Are you sure the axle stub is all the way inside the carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by DMM View Post
    Is this something that occurred after installation, or was this pre-existing? Sounds as if something may not be assembled completely/correctly. Are you sure the axle stub is all the way inside the carrier?
    thanks, those were good things to check out. I'm not sure if one could install it without the axle all the way in the diff without it popping out like has happened to some people. It turns out the outer CV needs to be fixed or replaced, the retaining clip that holds it together is not right, so the axle was sliding within the CV's and creating the noise. It went away after I put my stock axle/cv's in there.

For now I'm going to hold onto the GForce axles until I get a chance to look at or swap the CV. On the plus side, I'm pretty good at swapping the axle now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.