Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I took some videos this morning, although the noise is pretty quiet inside the car. Please excuse the horrific camera ...
    NCOGNITO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V - Black Raven

Re: Popping noise from rear wheels - Shop says it's the axle CV joints

I took some videos this morning, although the noise is pretty quiet inside the car. Please excuse the horrific camera judder when inside the car, I was holding it. Thought this might help give everyone an idea of the noise itself and how its occurring.

Can hear 2 pops when I back up at 0:19:

This is driving at LOW speed into a residential, you can hear 3 pops when I turn the corner at 0:17 and then again when I back up at 0:45.

This is the noise inside the car, 3 pops at 0:03/0:04

Sorry - double post.

Marcoc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 cts v
    It's in the diff, I had the same problem. Dealership told me they tightened two bolts that were backing out inside the diff. Not sure exactly what though?

Andringa is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk

I have a very similar issue going on with my 04V. Original diff, but it's had work done (Clutch packs I believe). Mine is 2-3 ticks when changing direction forward-reverse.

It doesn't happen when letting off and then getting on it again.
    Mine sounds lighter/tinnier than yours.
    I've gone through and checked torque and most things that I could get a wrench on.

Marcoc, could you please get more information on what you had fixed? I was thinking that my noise was external to the diff, but since I know it's been open before, it's always possible something has come loose internally.

I second that Marcoc ... my rear diff makes almost no noise and has 10K miles on it. If the bolts were backing out, you're saying the noise is the gears themselves moving around in the housing or a bolt rubbing on something, wouldn't the bolt be a constant type of noise rather than an isolated pop? The shop I took it to said that they didn't hear any rear differential "issues", but they could always be wrong ... :-)

My ear leads me to believe it *sounds* like it's coming from outside of the diff somewhere near the wheels, so I tend to lean toward CV joint(s). It is getting worse and I haven't driven it much until I figure out what direction I want to go. my other car is in the shop, but when I have it back I can simply park the V until I decide.

Williebrown suggested letting off the gas and pressing down again to see if I can replicate it by putting pressure on and releasing pressure from the CV joints, which does seem to work at lower speeds but my front diff bushing doesn't help to isolate the noise either. It doesn't make the popping noise at speeds higher than 20 MPH.

I tried to tighten the axle nut yesterday, only to discover that it is a 34MM socket and I have a 36MM from my Gr. Cherokee/BMW, so I'll have to go get a 34mm to double-check that the axle nut is tight.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

In looking at the GeForce webiste, I find that it is up to the installer of the GeForce axle kit to grease the CV joint. It may be that the CV joint just does not have enough grease on it.

It doesn't appear that it's leaking at all, but I can probably get in there enough to pull the boot back to add more grease if needed. The previous owner gave me the same turquiose grease from GForce and he used about half of what was in the bag.

If I were to pull the axle, inspect and regrease, what kind of grease would one use?

While looking for a grease spec I found this:

Clunk When Accelerating from Coast

A clunk noise occurring when accelerating from coast or a standing start may be caused by a worn or damaged wheel drive shaft cross groove joint. The common cause of wheel drive shaft cross groove damage is the loss of lubricating grease and/or the presence of foreign material and contaminates in the joint. This usually occurs as a result of a torn or damaged cross groove joint seal boot.

Carefully inspect the wheel drive shaft cross groove seal boot for cuts, tears or other signs of damage that may allow the loss of the lubricating grease and/or the entry of contaminates. If the seals appear intact, remove the wheel drive shaft from the vehicle and inspect the cross groove joint. Rotate the cross groove joint in a circular motion. Do not allow the cross groove spider to become disengaged from the race housing, or damage to the cross groove joint will occur. The movement of the cross groove joint should be smooth and even. If any binding or impeded motion is felt, the inboard joint requires replacement.

I would use a synthetic, marine grade wheel bearing grease.

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

It's not that difficult to pull the shafts and just slide the boots back to look, especially if you were given half a bag of grease that should be in there. CVs can make all kinds of clicking noises. The stock axles have a stationary cv on one end and a slider cv on the other end. Some aftermarket axles (not sure on the Gforce axles) have sliding cvs on both ends and the axle "floats" in the middle. If one of your cvs didn't have enough lubrication and wore into its race, it may only make a noise when the suspension is at the exact right spot in its travel under a certain load condition.
    Pull the shafts and roll the cvs around by hand feeling for even the slightest hesitation, if you have the time I would just pull them apart, inspect them and re-grease them. Most auto parts stores sell packets of "CV" grease you may have to ask for it, otherwise I would call Gforce and ask what they recommend. Whatever you use make sure it is a very high quality High pressure Moly based grease, I believe the stock stuff and "CV" packets in stores are a Moly/Graphite mix.

NC-V where did you say your shop was or where are you located in NC?

The GForce axle I have is just the axle shaft and you re-use the stock CVs, so it should be identical to the stock setup with the exception of the shaft itself.

I bought the axle nut socket and some CV boot/clamp pliers tonight so I can check that the axle nut is torqued to the right spec and pull the axle if the nut turns out that it's tight. When I took it in the other day, they checked all the other nuts/bolts to make sure they were tightened to the right torque and found that the cradle bolts weren't torqued all the way. This didn't solve the problem and the noise is definitely more frequent, so I'll have to get out the shovel and dig deeper.

One of the axle write-ups I found said that you need a 21mm ratcheting wrench, which I don't have. Anyone know what this is for and if I absolutely have to have it?

As indicated in Lollygagger's write-up, many of the fasteners on the knuckle are 21mm and if I recall correctly some have fine thread (lots of turns). The need for the Gear Wrench is because clearances with the surroundings (if you are on jack stands rather than a lift) make it diffcult and time consuming to use sockets or either end of a combination wrench.

Thanks for the explanation Darkman, I'll pick up a set of those or the 21mm wrench by itself.

Sorry for the delayed response, My shop will be in Mooresville, but we aren't opening until November.

Ratcheting wrench isn't nesecarry, but always comes in handy, and anything that isn't 21MM is most likely going to be 18 mm. Since you just got the bar replacement and not all brand new pieces and the fact that the axles have to be disassemble and re-assembled there are chances for damage or contamination. Before disassembly, grab the axle shaft and try to twist it back and forth (like to turn the wheel), if there is any torsional play then it is worn. Also you should not have any front to back movement, There may be some in/out (hub-diff). If you clean out the cv's, scrape your finger nail down the race and if there is any spot that catches your nail then that is probably your noise. It can be tricky some times to get the cv's off of the bar and re-seated properly. The right ups on here are very good though. If you want, pm me and I'll get you my cell number in case you run into any issues. Good luck.
    -Kyle

Thanks for all the positive feedback, I'm going to start disassembling this weekend. I finally got my DD back and its brake pad dragging issue seems to be resolved, so the pressure is off to fix it immediately. I've located the axle removal write-up, snagged a set of metric ratcheting wrenches for almost nothing and have done half axles on a Grand Cherokee before (not as complicated), so I should be in good shape for the removal. I called GForce and they recommended using only CV Joint grease (1 bag per side of the joint).

I tried twisting the axle by grabbing the axles shaft and it will move forward and backward in a twisting motion, but not a considerable amount - maybe like a 1/4 to 1/2" twist form where resting point to resting point on the CV. I'll do more troubleshooting when I get started, but you're saying that the axle should not twist at all by hand? I checked for play in the hub and also didn't find any by grabbing the wheel at 12 and 6 and trying to wobble it nor do I hear any hint of bearing noise coming from it.

The axle bar should not twist torsionally inside the cv joints at all. With car on the ground, try to twist the axle bar as to turn the wheel. It should not move at all. Also, if you push and pull the axle bar front to rear it should not have any play. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.