Efi live vs HP tuners
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Efi live vs HP tuners in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I am thinking about dumping my diablosport trinity for either of the 2 mentioned tuners. I feel like there is ...
    howanicm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 cts v

Efi live vs HP tuners

I am thinking about dumping my diablosport trinity for either of the 2 mentioned tuners. I feel like there is alot more you can do with the other tuners compared to the diablosport. Just looking for opinions on this. Thanks in advanced

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

soulja is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan 6MT, (Sold) 05 Maggie & 8.8 V1.

Re: Efi live vs HP tuners

I have HP Tuners standard. I will be putting is up for sale soon after I take my car to the tuner. I have 6 credits left on it. I only bought it to get a pcm with a tune changed to my VIN and to remove the rear O2 sensor errors.

Im new to all this forgive my ignorance. But what does 6credits mean? Do u need credits to change the tunes? What u looking to get for it?

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

You need credits to unlock a vin# of a car. Once it is unlocked for a particular serial # of the HP tuners software, you will always be able to tune with that serial number of cable and software. If you are a tuning shop, you unlock cars by the year so you don't have to continue to pay when tuning the same cars. Paying for the credits keeps HP tuners updates coming when new ECUs are released from GM. Currently HP tuners can tune most any GM engine with an OBD2 port.

Alright i understand. Are there any prefrences efi live over hp tuners or vise versa? They look to be very similar just curious if one has better features over the other. Also are there better remote tuners using hp or efi? I would like to learn how to tune but in the mean time i will pay to have it done properly.

I don't want to step on anyone's toes or anything... but I know a great tuner who does email revisions with HP tuners. He did my Cobalt SS Turbo and that little effer was pretty wicked. Tuned with intake, charged air piping, Downpipe and exhaust I put down almost 400whp on an ethanol mixture. That's with a 2.0L direct injection turbo. It was a mean little bastard, went through tires faster than a pregnant woman changes moods. Pm me and I'll give you his email so you can discuss it with him.

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Both are very good. Are you planning on tuning the car yourself? Will you be adding mods every few months requiring retunes? If you're not going to need tuning on a regular basis I would have a professional tune your car.

I am planning on learning about tuning. I would like to be able to do my own stuff in the long run. As for adding mods every few months, i kind of will. As money becomes available i will be buying parts. I have some small stuff now put would like to get the heads ported and a cam put in a little later. My tuner now dose not seem to excited about tuning for a cam remotely so this is why i am looking for possibly somthing better.

Yea HP Tuners is great. I haven't used EFI live though so I can't compare to that. But my results were really good with HP on my last car. It just worked out nice that my CTS-V is able to be tuned with the same software.

Hammar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Mikey,
    I'm using EFIlive, and like it. I've seen Megasquirt, HPtuners and Edelbrock (flipping joke), but am no expert. HPtuners and EFIlive have a different look and feel, but are pretty much Coke and Pepsi, IMHO. I like EFIlive, but it's what I first learned on. If you have some good local help or find a strong community here to get help with one or the other, that would be the one I suggest...

If you don't already have a good wideband O2, add that to the shopping list too. I've got an Innovate LC-1 hardwired in and like it. Opinions vary there too

If you go EFIlive, I'll share what I have if you're interested. I promise that won't require crazy shipping shennanigans...

Good luck!
    Hammar
    Maggies 2005 V

Jeremy,

It seems like the old pepsi/ coke controversy is what its gonna come down to. What exactly does a wideband o2 sensor do in the way of tuning? Also i have no one but you guys on here to help me learn. It dosent seem like anyone really tunes like that here in hawaii. So thats kind of a bummer..

A wideband O2 will allow you to dial in the AFR to get a nice clean tune. If you are running catless, they can put a sniffer in the tailpipes. Since you have a set of cats, you have to use a wideband oooorrrr, if you can get a dyno tune, they can take out the O2s, or weld in a bung (since they are before the cats in the longtubes) and put in sensors that will do it too.

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by howanicm View Post
    I am planning on learning about tuning. I would like to be able to do my own stuff in the long run. As for adding mods every few months, i kind of will. As money becomes available i will be buying parts. I have some small stuff now put would like to get the heads ported and a cam put in a little later. My tuner now dose not seem to excited about tuning for a cam remotely so this is why i am looking for possibly somthing better.
    Sounds like you should definitely do it.

So the wideband is similar to o2 sensors? I do have headers on my car now. Just the front o2 sensors are in. My diablosport gives me the long term fuel trims. Is this similar to what a wideband sensor will give me or will it be the actual a/f ratio. Now all i get are bank 1 and bank 2 and from my best knowledge you want the LTFT's to read as close to 0.00 through out the powerband.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

In simplest terms, HP is good for those that want it simple and quick, EFI is for those with a little more depth.

If you are a beginner just stick with HP TUNER, its simple and straight forward. If you are a little more comfortable with lots of open windows and plenty of alterations then go with the EFILIVE.

I have both, and to be honest i should have started with HP tuner, there are plenty of books and help for it.

Though if you have the time EFILIVE is constantly updatin its controller and software, not to mention they offer more indepth help on the forum for those really hard tunes.

At the end of the day, when you start tunin, make sure you have an accurate WB and tune the MAF / VE before you start to mess with idle, timin etc...A tuned MAF will always lead to a steady idle and great runnin engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.