New D3 Competition True Coilover System - Page 2
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
Like Tree3Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, New D3 Competition True Coilover System in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by JDB Agreed. We understand and want performance too, not interested in slamming the car to the ground ...
  1. #16
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,048

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Agreed. We understand and want performance too, not interested in slamming the car to the ground as said. I track my V and would upgrade over Ground Control + FG2. But NFW at $4295.
    And furthermore, NFW at the KDW Variant 3 price of $2399.

  2. #17
    OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    979

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    I'm not sure where you guys are coming up with the idea that these nice suspension packages should be SO cheap. non adjustable FG2s shocks alone are $1000 a set. Put that with springs and you are talking $1500 minimum for a non adjustable or rebuildable shock and spring set.

    I'm not saying $4300 for a coilover kit if reasonable or cheap. But you'd have to be out of your mind to expect a high end coilover kit for $1K. Also if you want quality items you generally have to fork out the big bucks. I remember Junior 1's coilover setup is NOT cheap nor was ichpens penske.
    Junior1 and Junior1 like this.

  3. #18
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,048

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    I'm not sure where you guys are coming up with the idea that these nice suspension packages should be SO cheap. non adjustable FG2s shocks alone are $1000 a set. Put that with springs and you are talking $1500 minimum for a non adjustable or rebuildable shock and spring set.

    I'm not saying $4300 for a coilover kit if reasonable or cheap. But you'd have to be out of your mind to expect a high end coilover kit for $1K. Also if you want quality items you generally have to fork out the big bucks. I remember Junior 1's coilover setup is NOT cheap nor was ichpens penske.
    You're absolutely right. Still, it's very hard to justify, as evidence by the collective longing for the KW V3s. If they came down to the $1500-1800 range, I think they'd have a lot more customers. Which is where D3 could step in. Alternately, they could probably take a hard look at the FG2s and figure out some kind of hybridized setup that overhauls more of the components than the Ground Control kit does. Heck, even a set of spherical rear shock mounts would sell like hotcakes.

  4. #19
    FuzzyLogic is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,048

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    (seriously, what is up with this forum double-posting lately?)

  5. #20
    RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wildomar, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    976

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    (seriously, what is up with this forum double-posting lately?)
    What you said made so much sense the forum just said it twice... just to make sure we got it lol

  6. #21
    OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    979

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    You're absolutely right. Still, it's very hard to justify, as evidence by the collective longing for the KW V3s. If they came down to the $1500-1800 range, I think they'd have a lot more customers. Which is where D3 could step in. Alternately, they could probably take a hard look at the FG2s and figure out some kind of hybridized setup that overhauls more of the components than the Ground Control kit does. Heck, even a set of spherical rear shock mounts would sell like hotcakes.
    I definitely agree a solution in that price range would sell very well. However, D3 puts most of their effort into V2 development (larger customer base, current product). That customer base probably demands much higher end components as the Magneto rheological dampers on the V2 are already pretty amazing. I think it just so happens that some of their developments are easily fitted to the V1 and thus trickle down to us. Whens the last time D3 has started a dedicated V1 product line? my guess is not since 2007.

  7. #22
    Rollbar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04- V with 6.2 L
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    DALTON,GA.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    71

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    Thanks D3 for offering an alternative to Penske single-adjustables for V1s.We needed an alternative in this quality-price range.Price is comparable-is quality?Are yours rebuildable and will you continue to make seal kits available?Can valving be changed when rebuilding?Thanks

  8. #23
    killernoodle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V --- the RED one :)
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    29
    Posts
    279

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    For those wanting coilovers in the $1k range, both D2 and KSport make a kit for the V1. Ksport makes 2 versions actually, one is with the Version RR valving (track), the other one with the Kontrol Pro valving (street).

    Not the highest quality units out there, but at least they aren't the cost of a built longblock

  9. #24
    Junior1's Avatar
    Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    About to pass you...
    Posts
    1,233

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    Quote Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
    Thanks D3 for offering an alternative to Penske single-adjustables for V1s.We needed an alternative in this quality-price range.Price is comparable-is quality?Are yours rebuildable and will you continue to make seal kits available?Can valving be changed when rebuilding?Thanks
    I've got someone that can help on this if thats what you're looking to do...
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

  10. #25
    Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Design Center
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,382
    Thread Starter

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    Hello,
    The quality is absolutely top notch. The guys at JRI have a very good understanding of what their products would be compared to and have done everything they felt was required to provide a top shelf product. These are full competition coilovers/shocks. So everything can be serviced. They can even increase the gas pressures and such if your setup requires even greater range of adjustment.

    Thank you,

    Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

    Quote Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
    Thanks D3 for offering an alternative to Penske single-adjustables for V1s.We needed an alternative in this quality-price range.Price is comparable-is quality?Are yours rebuildable and will you continue to make seal kits available?Can valving be changed when rebuilding?Thanks

  11. #26
    catch2otwo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS_V
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SF Bay
    Posts
    144

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    Why is it so hard to accept that D3 is making an expensive high end set of coil overs? I dont understand the logic of telling them to make a cheaper product. Its clear that they arent trying to sell compromise products. There are plenty of budget friendly options mentioned above, k sport, d2, and kws if you have some scratch.

  12. #27
    JDB's Avatar
    JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,064

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    I'm not sure where you guys are coming up with the idea that these nice suspension packages should be SO cheap. non adjustable FG2s shocks alone are $1000 a set. Put that with springs and you are talking $1500 minimum for a non adjustable or rebuildable shock and spring set.

    I'm not saying $4300 for a coilover kit if reasonable or cheap. But you'd have to be out of your mind to expect a high end coilover kit for $1K. Also if you want quality items you generally have to fork out the big bucks. I remember Junior 1's coilover setup is NOT cheap nor was ichpens penske.
    More like $1200+ for FG2 and that's not a fair price comparison when it's a dealer price versus aftermarket.

    Coming from an Audi before my V, I'm not shocked by the price...STaSIS Motorsports using Ohlins is $4k, but only a handful of people buy them. They also offer Tracksports (what I had) in the sub $2k range and Streetsports around $1k. The point is...D3's price better provide race ready performance for that price...and not just an aggressive street setup that's DE worthy too. Further point is that if there was an option of that level in the sub $2k range, vendor would sell a lot of them ...do the math on it, probably make more $ that way than selling a high end race ready setup that only a few V1 owners would buy.

  13. #28
    JDB's Avatar
    JDB
    JDB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,064

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    Quote Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
    Why is it so hard to accept that D3 is making an expensive high end set of coil overs? I dont understand the logic of telling them to make a cheaper product. Its clear that they arent trying to sell compromise products. There are plenty of budget friendly options mentioned above, k sport, d2, and kws if you have some scratch.
    Not hard to accept...see post above.

    How do D2 and K Sport compare to KWs? D2 and K Sport, which I didn't know were an option for the V1, are known to be on the lower end and among those used by Civic owners who just want to slam their car to the ground. A quick look at D2's site, they only list the '03-07 CTS for some of their coilovers levels...do they have a V kit that accounts for the weight, power, overall handing differences? They do not list either a CTS or V in their Track or Pro Spec race, only the RS for a CTS. Sounds like they make a kit that fits, but that's about it.

  14. #29
    OneFast V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Raven Black CTS-V
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    979

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    Not hard to accept...see post above.

    How do D2 and K Sport compare to KWs? D2 and K Sport, which I didn't know were an option for the V1, are known to be on the lower end and among those used by Civic owners who just want to slam their car to the ground. A quick look at D2's site, they only list the '03-07 CTS for some of their coilovers levels...do they have a V kit that accounts for the weight, power, overall handing differences? They do not list either a CTS or V in their Track or Pro Spec race, only the RS for a CTS. Sounds like they make a kit that fits, but that's about it.
    Just bought a D2 kit. 550# springs all around and we will see how they are when installed but a guy on lstech tracked on them and said they were great for him.

  15. #30
    RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wildomar, CA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    976

    Re: New D3 Competition True Coilover System

    Quote Originally Posted by OneFast V View Post
    Just bought a D2 kit. 550# springs all around and we will see how they are when installed but a guy on lstech tracked on them and said they were great for him.
    Put up a review of those D2s. I am kinda leery of having the same spring weight front and rear since the rear end of this thing isn't as heavy as the front. But maybe it would be good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting