Running rich and Boost problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Running rich and Boost problems in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have an 04 V with a magnacharger and a few other upgrades. The car has lost most of the ...
    brikeenan215 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V

Running rich and Boost problems

I have an 04 V with a magnacharger and a few other upgrades. The car has lost most of the power. Its struggling to build boost and is also running very rich. As soon as it comes out of vacume and hits 0 on the boost gauge my wideband reads as rich as it can read which is 10. It used to shoot to 7lbs right away. Now i can barely get ot to 5lbs and it will only get that high if i rev it out to about 5500rmp. Just rebuilt the supercharger with all new gaskets an O rings. So i dont think i have a leak in the intake manifold. At least i hope not. I was having this problem b4 and thats why i rebuilt the charger. It was back to normal for about a half of tank of gas. Now its back an worse then b4. I have no idea what it is. Please help me guys. Ive been tinkering and searching for days. Last resort i gotta pull the charger back off and recheck all the gaskets and O rings.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

Re: Running rich and Boost problems

Ok, let me preface this by saying I am new to the forum here so I can only go by my last experience with a TOTALLY separate car:

It sounds like you have a boost leak. In my turbo cars, when you are running rich you look for boost leaks first. Now, you have a Maggie which doesn't really have piping like a turbo charged setup has. You do have a bypass valve in there somewhere that allows your superchargers screws to spin but not build boost (helps mpg when you cruise by not stuffing air in the motor). I am guessing you are having an issue with the bypass valve sealing/closing properly. This is more or less controlled by the Vacuum system which opens the bypass valve when there is little or no load (like cruising on the freeway). Check your Vacuum lines and connections. There could be a minute hole somewhere. I had an issue with the turbo on my last car because of a small pin hole in the Vac line created by it rubbing on a bolt on the intake manifold.

Anyways, whether or not the info there is any help, hopefully you figure it out.

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Like he said there is a bypass valve right on the side of the SC with a vac line hooked to it. With vacuum applied, the valve opens and allows the rotors to "freewheel" for economy purposes. If you pull the TB off the front of the SC you should see the butterfly valve for the bypass. Make sure it closes all the way and nothing is holding it open at all. If there is nothing wrong with the vac canister or bypass, then you may have a leak in the SC. It definitely sounds like a boost leak though.

Today i unhooked the vac line and plugged it on the bypass valve accuator. Then i zip tied it shut pretty tight. it already has a pretty tight spring, but i didnt wanna take no chances. It did nothing. I will pull off the throttle body tomorrow to make sure its getting a good seal. But i just rebuilt the charger with all new gaskets an O rings, so i dont think anything couldve gotten in the valve. Im hoping i dont have to pull it all apart again. I didnt even get through a full tank of gas b4 it happend again. Is there anyway to diagnose if the charger is leaking without pulling it apart?

The charger itself may not be leaking. The vacuum line may be leaking and not allowing the Bypass Valve to operate properly. Actually after rereading your first post I can say that your problem sounded exactly like when my last car had a vacuum line leak. It cause the blow off valve to not close all the way. My car would build some boost very slowly. The bypass valve is acting as your boost leak in this case. Its allowing the air to vent around the rotors and not enter the intake manifold to pressurize the intake charge. As far as I have seen much of the vacuum systems on cars use a circlip to hold the line on. They go bad quite easily, especially if you have ever taken one off and put it back on, and it could be allowing air past, causing your vac leak and thereby causing the boost leak.

The seal between the intake mani and supercharger is probably fine. But I'm guessing when you took it off, one of the vac lines may have been loosened or gotten a hole in it. Before you take the whole blower off, check your vac lines and connections for leaks.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

My money's on the bypass valve being the culprit, too.

Cheapest, easiest problem it couldn't been. You're lucky.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

But wouldnt me zip tying the arm closed for the accuator down eliminate that? i am going down the shop now to pull of the throttle body. Ill keep u posted is i find anything. Throttle body is coming off first to check the seal of the accuator valve.

Quote Originally Posted by brikeenan215 View Post
    But wouldnt me zip tying the arm closed for the accuator down eliminate that? i am going down the shop now to pull of the throttle body. Ill keep u posted is i find anything. Throttle body is coming off first to check the seal of the accuator valve.
    Not necessarily. Any of the vacuum lines that run from the vac tank to the vac solenoid, to the maggie could be leaking. A leak in any of those could be the culprit. But it could be the bypass valve is having a problem sealing. I believe they use a rubber 'boot' (for lack of a better descriptor) in the BPV (bypass Valve) on the superchager to create the seal. A rip in the seal could cause the problem as well. I would start with the vac lines. They are easy to get holes in. If they are rubbing on a bolt, or even a zip tie, over time they will get a pin hole in them. Too bad its not a turbo car, I could tell you how to make a boost leak line tester. I have never had a maggie on a car so I don't know the particular layout of what you have under the covers there. But the basic idea is the same. Your car is tuned to use 'x' amount of fuel during 'y' condition. If the condition is not achieved (in this case 7psi of boost) it runs rich. The tune may be fine, but the condition the tune is calibrated for is not being met.

EDIT: I reread the post above... if you mechanically closed the BPV and it still leaked, then yea it is a problem in the supecharger and not a vac line. Either your BPV seal or perhaps an intake seal.

NC-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

With the vacuum line off and/or the motor off, that bypass valve should be closed. Maybe I read it wrong, but you should not have to zip tie the bypass valve closed, it should be naturally in the closed position and the manifold vacuum is what opens the valve and holds it open. The spring tension should close the valve completely without vacuum present.

Yea the arm does close when vacume isnt applied. I just wanted to be safe, thats why i zip tied it closed. But i believe we found the problem. There are a few O rings on the bottom of the injectors (intake side) that seem to be bad. One had a chunk out of it and a few others are sucking in brake clean when we spray them down. So tomorrow morning first thing i will replace the O rings if i can get them without ordering them. And keeping my fingers crossed that that was the Problem. Thanks for the replies guys. Ill let you know if that works.

Glad you found the problem. It's crazy how much air can leak out of an injector seal when its under boost pressure. Hopefully the seals will fix the problem

Well that wasnt the problem. Two Orings were definitly bad. I replaced all of them and i still have the boost leak running rich problem. Im gonna pull the charger off tomorrow. Im so frustrated. I just want my baby back

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

You'll find it. Hang in there, and report back to us.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.