ATI Super Damper Install on LS2 V1
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, ATI Super Damper Install on LS2 V1 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Gentlemen, I ordered the ATI Super Damper, ARP bolt and Goodyear Gatorback belt online. They should all arrive tomorrow, in ...
    HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

ATI Super Damper Install on LS2 V1

Gentlemen,

I ordered the ATI Super Damper, ARP bolt and Goodyear Gatorback belt online. They should all arrive tomorrow, in time for a Sunday install.

Here are the threads where I asked for advice and ultimately selected the ATI:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-c...ampner-v1.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ampner-v1.html

I'm still in noob territory, though gaining knowledge by the day. I am about to ask many noobish questions, so I ask for your forbearance. I just replaced my radiator, so at least I know how to take that thing on and off now, lol.

I rented a 3-jaw 5-ton puller from Autozone. I'm pretty sure this will work to remove the stock damper. However, what I am not sure about AT ALL is whether I need a special tool to install the ATI Super Damper. I simply don't have one. A friend of mine who's done a lot of work on LS1s seems to think that the extra length of the ARP bolt will be enough to catch the threads and pull the ATI on there, without the need for a special tool. Is that right? Will it work that way on the LS2?

If I do need a special tool, does anyone know where I can get one?

Many thanks,
    HAM

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jweymar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Eforce LS3 V

Re: ATI Super Damper Install on LS2 V1

I just put on the ATI 10% underdrive balancer. No special tool needed.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    Gentlemen,

I ordered the ATI Super Damper, ARP bolt and Goodyear Gatorback belt online. They should all arrive tomorrow, in time for a Sunday install.

Here is the thread where I asked for advice and ultimately selected the ATI:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-c...ampner-v1.html

I'm still in noob territory, though gaining knowledge by the day. I am about to ask many noobish questions, so I ask for your forbearance. I just replaced my radiator, so at least I know how to take that thing on and off now, lol.

I rented a 3-jaw 5-ton puller from Autozone. I'm pretty sure this will work to remove the stock damper. However, what I am not sure about AT ALL is whether I need a special tool to install the ATI Super Damper. I simply don't have one. A friend of mine who's done a lot of work on LS1s seems to think that the extra length of the ARP bolt will be enough to catch the threads and pull the ATI on there, without the need for a special tool. Is that right? Will it work that way on the LS2?

If I do need a special tool, does anyone know where I can get one?

Many thanks,
    HAM
    The biggest risk on reinstallation is stripping the threads inside the crankshaft. That occurs when folks try to pull the balancer onto the crank (interference fit) using the old crank bolt. This method works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't work it strips the crankshaft internal threads because only some of the threads are engaged. Then you are in real trouble.

The proper method is to use a tool (see the link below) which engages all of the crankshaft threads before the pulling-on process starts.

http://www.coloradospeed.com/index.p...eviews_id=1082

Some auto parts sell or rent these as part of a harmonic balancer kit. Another work around is to get some 6-7 inch threaded rods and add some nuts/washers.

Thanks darkman, I called my local good* autozone and it looks like they have the actual recommended GM kit. We'll see if that's true when I pick it up.

*lol, there is also a ghetto autozone that doesn't have shit and the clerks are jumpy from getting held up so much.

Yeah, turns out they just had a generic install kit

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Yeah, turns out they just had a generic install kit
    You mean the one on the left?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    You mean the one on the left?

that's it, the one you mentioned on the other v forum

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

that's it, the one you mentioned on the other v forum
    Well, if you truly want to get this thing done this weekend and you're willing to eat the $50-60, you can modify that kit to work.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    Well, if you truly want to get this thing done this weekend and you're willing to eat the $50-60, you can modify that kit to work.
    Yeah, I'm gonna go for it. Will give you a call in a second.

I had trouble getting the pulley off with the rented autozone puller, so bought an OTC puller recommended by C5 guys, and it worked like a charm. Stock puller came off like a knife through butter. Easy.

Fuzzylogic has been coaching me through the install, and I owe him a couple of beers, to say the least.

Question for anyone out there who has used an ARP crank bolt. There is conflicting information on whether to use red loctite or "ARP moly lube". What did you use, and why? I want to get this done tomorrow, don't want to order special lube and wait for it to ship, etc. Can I replace it with something else?

For what it's worth, the ATI Super Damper instructions say to use red loctite with the ARP bolt. My worry is that this will lead to a bolt that impossible to undo in the future. Is that possible?

The advice on the ARP crank bolt does vary all over the lot. My research indicates that: (a) you do NOT use red Loctite; (b) you can use either the ARP lube or motor oil (some say 30wt. others are non-specific); and (c) the target torque is 240 foot pounds although many report having to "settle" for whatever they could achieve as long as it was over 200 foot pounds.

The advice for red loctite and 250lb-ft comes from the ATI instructions, not from ARP. Does that make it sound any more authoritative to you? ATI (unlike ARP) is known for precision.

The advice for red loctite and 250lb-ft comes from the ATI instructions, not from ARP. Does that make it sound any more authoritative to you? ATI (unlike ARP) is known for precision.
    I don't know the basis for ATI's recommendation. I think Red Loctite and 250 foot pounds of torque is a recipe for a permanent, irreversible installation. I cannot confirm that because I am unable to find any cases where someone actually reports using Red Loctite in that application. I have seen an occasional reference to using some Blue Loctite without any follow-up report as to how it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I don't know the basis for ATI's recommendation. I think Red Loctite and 250 foot pounds of torque is a recipe for a permanent, irreversible installation. I cannot confirm that because I am unable to find any cases where someone actually reports using Red Loctite in that application. I have seen an occasional reference to using some Blue Loctite without any follow-up report as to how it worked.
    I have the same thread going on another forum. A member replied to say he uses red loctite and has had the bolt off and back on for an installation, without problems.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/16682624-post29.html

I'm not trying to be disbelieving or anything, you always give solid advice. I just wonder whether, since this ATI balancer has more rotating mass than stock, the red loctite is called for.

I have the same thread going on another forum. A member replied to say he uses red loctite and has had the bolt off and back on for an installation, without problems.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/16682624-post29.html

I'm not trying to be disbelieving or anything, you always give solid advice. I just wonder whether, since this ATI balancer has more rotating mass than stock, the red loctite is called for.
    My advice in this case is based on hear-say, and we have already established that the internet is full of conflicting hear-say on this one. The ATI instructions, coupled with the report that it can be removed is probably good enough.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.