First Modification
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, First Modification in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well I just pulled the trigger and ordered my first modification tonight (3 weeks after I bought the car and ...
    RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

First Modification

Well I just pulled the trigger and ordered my first modification tonight (3 weeks after I bought the car and after promising my girlfriend I wouldn't modify it at all). It was the Stainless Works header back exhaust. I ordered it with cats cuz I live in Commifornia so here's hoping it will pass smog with a clean tune on it. I am debating weather I want it professionally done or not by a local shop here. I am getting tired of banging my knuckles on engines and stuff.

By the way, Presence Distribution have really good customer service. I was emailing Bryce over there till about 9pm western time to get the order ironed out with the Cats and all. He is on east coast time so I am pretty impressed with that. I'll you tube some videos when it is all buttoned up. They said it is going to be like 2 weeks which sucks because I want it NOW but I don't care, I'm just happy its on its way.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: First Modification

Nice. You almost have to do exhaust on a performance car.
    I think you'll be fine on smog.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

Congrats! I didn't have any luck with DIY. I did the headers but the rest is going to a professional shop for installation then a tune.

Well I am going to do my own tuning. But my lack of a lift and the fact that I work full time and just had a kid gives me little time, so its going to get done at a shop. I hate doing that (I take pride in doing all my own work) but alas, sometimes it's better to let someone do it who has the correct equipment (like a car hoist). Plus it would be nice to drop it off in the morning and pick it up after work.

Ok, am also ordering a set of plugs and wires. Figure, might as well put in new ones since I am going to be tuning it after the headers and a K&N drop in. Gonna probably mod the airbox too. Going to order the NGK TR5 plugs (debating if I want to spend the extrta $$$ on the Platinums or not). Found em on rock auto for $1.53 a piece. The TR5GP is the Platinum listing for like $2.30 a piece. The car has 76,000 miles on it right now. And some new ACDelco wires for $39.99 so I figure I'll get those just in case one gets messed up during removal and re-install.

Anyone have a favorite plug of those 2? It's just a daily driver, I have a 6 mile commute so I'm kinda wondering if its even worth going to the platinums right now. Or if I should just wait until I start modifying this big bastard of a car.

Mn800r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 11 V Coupe, 05 V Mod'd, 91 Fatboy,98 Ultra classic, 07 Tahoe

Stock plug boots are to short w/headers, you will need MSD Wires.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by RyRidesMotoX View Post
    Ok, am also ordering a set of plugs and wires. Figure, might as well put in new ones since I am going to be tuning it after the headers and a K&N drop in. Gonna probably mod the airbox too. Going to order the NGK TR5 plugs (debating if I want to spend the extrta $$$ on the Platinums or not). Found em on rock auto for $1.53 a piece. The TR5GP is the Platinum listing for like $2.30 a piece. The car has 76,000 miles on it right now. And some new ACDelco wires for $39.99 so I figure I'll get those just in case one gets messed up during removal and re-install.

Anyone have a favorite plug of those 2? It's just a daily driver, I have a 6 mile commute so I'm kinda wondering if its even worth going to the platinums right now. Or if I should just wait until I start modifying this big bastard of a car.
    Unless you just like to change plugs more often, I would spring for the Iridiums in either the AC Delco or the NGK. They cost more, but they last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mn800r View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Unless you just like to change plugs more often, I would spring for the Iridiums in either the AC Delco or the NGK. They cost more, but they last longer.
    Cool, thats what I figured. Are the stock plugs good enough to run a decent head/cam combo as well or should they be swapped out when I start upgrading stuff like that?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

I've been running that way for 6-1/2 years.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

2007ThunderV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts v

Thanks for the info.

Cool, thats what I figured. Are the stock plugs good enough to run a decent head/cam combo as well or should they be swapped out when I start upgrading stuff like that?
    iam runnin stock plugs on my h/c pacage, thats what my tuner reccomended

2007ThunderV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts v

stock wires are actually on the long side, not short. stock wires are usuable you just need to angle them right, or slightly shave some of the access rubber off.
    it all depends which header size you go with too, i went with 1 7/8 headers, and my stock wires touched a bit, had to shave them a little, then eventually went with the talyor thundervolt race wires.
    i bet there is no clearance issuies with 1 3/4 headers. stock wires will work no problem

Quote Originally Posted by 2007ThunderV View Post
    stock wires are actually on the long side, not short. stock wires are usuable you just need to angle them right, or slightly shave some of the access rubber off.
    it all depends which header size you go with too, i went with 1 7/8 headers, and my stock wires touched a bit, had to shave them a little, then eventually went with the talyor thundervolt race wires.
    i bet there is no clearance issuies with 1 3/4 headers. stock wires will work no problem
    You are spot on there, I have kooks 1 7/8 just did plugs(NGK Iridium) and bought stock wires due to one of my MSD's had just about rubbed through on the right side hole #3? Where a fat wire loom runs along side. Turns out a couplet of the stock or OE BOOTS were touching, like you said with a little twisting it barley clears or just touchs on a couple. Front hole left side wire did melt, after seeing I was able to re position. Did call MSD and he sent me a new wire no charge, they are back on my V.

Quote Originally Posted by 2007ThunderV View Post
    You are spot on there, I have kooks 1 7/8 just did plugs(NGK Iridium) and bought stock wires due to one of my MSD's had just about rubbed through on the right side hole #3? Where a fat wire loom runs along side. Turns out a couplet of the stock or OE BOOTS were touching, like you said with a little twisting it barley clears or just touchs on a couple. Front hole left side wire did melt, after seeing I was able to re position. Did call MSD and he sent me a new wire no charge, they are back on my V.

Cool,

You guys are gonna save me some cash with the wire situation. I'm going to start spraying the head studs to get any rust off. Hopefully they will not break off in the head.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Are the stock plugs good enough to run a decent head/cam combo as well or should they be swapped out when I start upgrading stuff like that?
    With a head/cam combo you will likely go one range colder (e.g. NGK TR6, Part#3689 or ACDelco 41104). If you are doing that soon you could go one range colder now. In theory the only risk of a colder plug is slow speed fouling, but in actual practice it should not be a problem unless you drive really slow or spend a lot of time idling.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.