First Modification - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, First Modification in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'll just wait for now. That head/cam work won't happen until at least this time next year. I don't idle ...
    RyRidesMotoX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V Raven, StainlessWorks header back exhaust

Re: First Modification

I'll just wait for now. That head/cam work won't happen until at least this time next year. I don't idle a lot, but I don't have a problem with buying new plugs when I do the head/cam

Sweet... well I'm going with stock plugs for now. Ordered them tonight along with a new set of OEM plug wires, and new gaskets. At $100 its cheap insurance to make sure the tune isn't adjusted to cover failing plugs or a bad plug wire. I kinds figure they will all look perfectly fine but while the exhaust manifolds are off, I figure might as well just replace em. I don't wanna go in there twice.

Oh and darkman, me driving slow will only happen in some form of parallel universe where slow=fast lol.
    4doorocket and 4doorocket like this.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

You could always put a heat shield on your plug wires - fiberglass sock. I have those on mine for insurance.

I'm kind of debating whether I want tor wrap the headers or to put boots on the wires

2007ThunderV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts v

i went with the jet coating, its amazing how cool the headers stay when you compare the heat from the mid pipes. huge difference

Yea but my girlfriend err I mean budgetary constraints dictate that spending money on jet coating is a no go. I got the money in the bank but she doesn't want it spent on cars. She is still nesting after the new baby... don't worry everything is already purchased I put the kiddo first, but its my birthday this month, you would think she would let me splurge a little buuuut no.

GDPossehl is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

For any wires touching:
    http://motors.shop.ebay.com/eBay-Mot...A-Boots&_rdc=1

I snagged a full set for $35 when I did my install.

philistine is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Black 2004 CTS-V

I'm kind of debating whether I want tor wrap the headers or to put boots on the wires
    The stock exhaust manifold has a heat shield. I debated too until I saw a pic of the damage unwrapped (or unshielded) headers can do.

Quote Originally Posted by GDPossehl View Post
    For any wires touching:
    http://motors.shop.ebay.com/eBay-Mot...A-Boots&_rdc=1

I snagged a full set for $35 when I did my install.
    Cool, thanks for the link. With a little more searching I was able to find an 8 pack of DEI 'equivalents' for 29.95 shipped. My only hesitation is that the plug wires were only $39 from rock auto when I bought em, but I suppose I might as well protect them so I don't burn through a bunch of plug wires.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Protecto...sories&vxp=mtr

^ the link for the boots. I'll let everyone know when they get here if they are the real deal or a SUPER cheap knock off I'm gonna have to send back and claim the eBay buyer protection.

Well I don't like to make new threads about the same stuff so just a little update and a question...

I have brand new AC Delco OEM plugs gapped at .040, OEM wires, OEM gaskets, the wire heat protector boots (look pretty decent imho), all I'm waiting on is the exhaust. And I'm going to do an oil change as well. That way I can get some preventative maintenance out of the way before the rigors of tuning.

Is there anything I am missing? Is there anything else I should consider doing while I have the exhaust totally down and while I am under there? Would you guys recommend keeping the stock head studs or are the ARPs necessary? I know the Trq spec is only 19 ft/lbs for the header bolts. I figure if I get the head ported next year I can just put the ARPs in then.

It looks like I am going to have to do it on my own. It's a question of legality really, shops here are turning down the work because they can get fined by CA for installing a non CARB (California Air Board) certified exhaust. What a bunch of bullshit, damn government over intruding on shit. I figure while I'm down there I might as well do some other stuff if necessary. I have contemplated motor mounts but the dealer I got the car from installed brand new OEMs in there 1,000 miles ago. So I'll likely wait for those to start to break first.

I would only replace the head bolts if I was removing the head. Otherwise it's not anywhere near worth the cost. Unless you're talking about exhaust manifold bolts... those thing are a gamble in stock form. ARP's aren't really necessary for those bolts though. Stock replacements should last you.

shadybx7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes

Congrats, SW full exhaust was my first real mod

Id say Philistines http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-2004-cts.html and my http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...n-exhaust.html cover a good amount of info

(1)I used stock bolts. worked great, some people end up snapping header bolts so be easy on them while removing them
    (2)I was going to use stock wires but i busted one while removing them, be carfull use a pry bar and pry off the valve covers and the plugs wires will pop off. use some electric grease on the plug and boot.
    (3) OEM gaskets FTW
    (4)The dip stick will make you pull your hair out. IF you have help, get someone on the bottom of the car, they put their hand on the dipstick port and then remove it so you remember where it is.. Also on reinstall, the dipstick needs a spacer away from the block, no biggie i have a thread on it i think
    (5) check the threads above for tips on exhaust alignment
    (6) if you need mounts do them now! you will have to remove everything to get at them after installing headers
    (7) i have cool soxs, much more protection then the OEM heat shields, same as this above http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Protecto...sories&vxp=mtr
    philistine and philistine like this.

Yea I got all the stuff as a preventative measure so it can be all new when I start tuning. I am gonna stay with the stock motor mounts for now. I'll probably have new ones done next year. I'm hoping the tax return is enough to have the stock head ported and a decent cam installed. I still have take a few more calls to local shops here... I really have no time to do all this anytime soon. I would rather pay someone to do it lol oh well.

You'll be kicking yourself for not doing motor mounts now. You'll end up doing the header install alll over again for motor mounts.
    philistine and philistine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GDPossehl View Post
    You'll be kicking yourself for not doing motor mounts now. You'll end up doing the header install alll over again for motor mounts.
    I want to get some head work and a cam done next year so the headers will have to come off then as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.