Aftermarket Harmonic Dampner for V1
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Aftermarket Harmonic Dampner for V1 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Gentlemen, My dampner has started wobbling, time to replace. I don't want to replace with the stock unit, which is ...
    HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Aftermarket Harmonic Dampner for V1

Gentlemen,

My dampner has started wobbling, time to replace. I don't want to replace with the stock unit, which is doomed to failure on almost all LS motors (V1, C5, GTO, TBSS, etc.). However, the most frequently recommended aftermarket replacement, which is the ATI Super Dampner, costs $450. Mother of God.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATI-917266/

Is there anything cheaper out there you guys can recommend that runs better than the stock dampner?

For the installation, I know I'm going to need a new serpentine belt, and have decided to go with the Goodyear Gatorback:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

I know I also need a crank bolt, and people have suggested the ARP because it's re-useable. Does anyone have a part number for it?

Thanks!
    HAM

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: Aftermarket Harmonic Dampner for V1

Arp 234-2503

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Arp 234-2503
    Thanks, buddy, you come through again. Would you go with the ATI Super Dampner?

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    Thanks, buddy, you come through again. Would you go with the ATI Super Dampner?
    Yes.

You may want to verify the ATI part number. I say that because I tried to check it against Rock Auto's listings. Specifically, the Summit listing shows that it will fit the Corvettee (1997-2004), but does not list a CTS-V. Rock Auto shows a harmonic balancer for the LS6 CTS-V, which it shows also will also fit the 1997-2004 Corvette. However, Rock Auto shows no harmonic balancer listing for the 2006-2007 LS2 CTS-V. Bottom line is that I was unable to verify that the Summit ATI unit will fit the CTS-V LS2. Perhaps some other folks have already verified this.

Thanks, I just confirmed the part number with ATI.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Why not go with an underdrive pulley instead? Since you are replacing it anyways, why not get a little power out of it?

http://sdparts.com/details/powerbond...s/kpbu1117ss25

stepchild21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Hey that powerbond kit for 219$ anyone try it out before ??? Because that seems like an awesome price for the amount you get

Decided to go with the ATI, no underdrive. I want this part to work and I don't want to think about it again for the next ten years or so.

FuzzyLogic is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HAMSTAR View Post
    Decided to go with the ATI, no underdrive. I want this part to work and I don't want to think about it again for the next ten years or so.
    I think you made the right decision. If you ever decide to go with a supercharger, you'll want to pin the crank while you're down there. Btw, what color is your CTS-V interior? There's a set of black seats on eBay for pickup only--going for $155 right now.

Good to hear you approve, really. My interior is gray, but I'm gonna swap out for black some day... some day when I'm not blowin cash fixing GMs mistakes.

I have to give a shout-out to Summit. Not sure if they are sponsors or not and if this is against the rules-- if so, sorry. But I just have to say that they worked super hard to get this part to me, and it just arrived today. Initially, they tried to do a drop pick up, so I could pick up the part from ATI, which is based in my town, Baltimore. That way I could get summit pricing and not pay any shipping. Then when it looked like ATI wouldn't fab it in time for a weekend install, which became clear at 2.50pm on Saturday, they overnighted the part to me from their stock for what I thought was a very low overnight fee. Not only that, but they called me several times to confirm that everything was going smoothly. All in all, my "bright idea" to do a drop pick up from ATI probably cost them a couple hours in man time, and they were apologizing to me the whole time. Amazing.

The ATI damper is is sitting here in front of me now. Artie from Summit, you are the man.

sssnake is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Do you have any feedback after the install? I'm still having a hard time swallowing the price.

Well, my tuner Jeff Lowry at PSI in Maryland, whom I trust, is of the opinion that it's overkill unless you're running high RPM, high HP (like 700 at the crank), turbo, etc. He likes em and runs em on his cars, but only the high HP ones. For smallblock N/A cars, he goes with an underdrive pulley.

That said, I like knowing that I will never have to worry about my pulley again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.