OT: VIR 24 Chumpcar Report
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, OT: VIR 24 Chumpcar Report in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Guys, This is off topic. Ignore if you are not interested. In a nutshell, me and a few track buddies ...
    trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

OT: VIR 24 Chumpcar Report

Guys,

This is off topic. Ignore if you are not interested.

In a nutshell, me and a few track buddies got together in late spring, and decided to put together a chumpcar team to run in the 24 hour race at VIR two weeks ago.

I know a lot of you guys are track hounds, so I thought you might find it interesting. We ran 4 drivers, each running just under 6 hours each (over 4 stints). It was an unbelievable experience. Running hard wheel to wheel at night was probabaly the most fun I've ever had on the track. 115 cars made it on track. We ran Grand (4.1m) for the first 12 hours, and then went to full (3.27m). Went 3 wide through hogpen at 0230 a few times. NUTS!

Anyway here is a detailed write-up of our experience:

http://forum.chumpcar.com/index.php?...-weekend-ever/

A few pics:

If you've ever thought about this, seriously consider it. Not sure how I can go back to DE after this.

-Chris
    Attached Images
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: OT: VIR 24 Chumpcar Report

Nice writeup !

How much time did you guys spend on the project ?

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Good stuff man. Car's lookin good...Call me next time
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

Quote Originally Posted by rjoffe View Post
    Nice writeup !

How much time did you guys spend on the project ?
    Hmm...Kinda like I've never totaled up how much I've spent on my V1, I'd prefer not to know how much time I spent on this. I can tell you I had some *mamoth* tracking spreadhseets, to make sure we covered all our bases. Lot's of "little details"" that added up to a lot of time.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1 View Post
    Good stuff man. Car's lookin good...Call me next time
    I'll let you know the next time we bring the car out for testing. You need to get your car on the track!

-Chris

We talking, every free waking moment, never see the wife and kids kind of time ?

We talking, every free waking moment, never see the wife and kids kind of time ?
    Naw, but we had a great team and where able to spread the load across 4 guys, with no one slacking. I probably spent 10-15 hrs a week on this, doing research and documenting everything, doing schedules, come up with lists, purchasing things, writing up the corporate charter and article of organization, practicing on iRacing, pre race track testing, etc.

I spent a *lot* of time on the chumpcar forums, reading up on everyones experiences (especially the race reports), to try and make sure we identified everything that needed to be done.

I'm sure our car guys (2 of the guys) might disagree, but the two org guys probabaly spent as much time on that end as they did on car prep. I felt like I was organizing a Himalayan expedition. All the logistics was a b!tch.

-Chris

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Nuts!

Dear Mr. The Big Jim SHO,

You must do this in the future.

That is all.

-Chris

Seriously, best car thing I've ever done.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    hmm...

vms4evr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

A lot of my buddies run Chump and/or Lemons. They've bugged me for a couple of years about it. I just don't see it. I'm glad they do. They have a blast. A lot of teams don't have so much fun. They show up in a POS they don't have ironed out. It dies and they can't get it running right. Drivers get almost no time in the car. They wait and try again next time. Lot of prep work and lot of luck. Some of the guys all but eat, sleep and breath it.

Quote Originally Posted by vms4evr View Post
    A lot of my buddies run Chump and/or Lemons. They've bugged me for a couple of years about it. I just don't see it. I'm glad they do. They have a blast. A lot of teams don't have so much fun. They show up in a POS they don't have ironed out. It dies and they can't get it running right. Drivers get almost no time in the car. They wait and try again next time. Lot of prep work and lot of luck. Some of the guys all but eat, sleep and breath it.
    In my limited experience, we were sucessfull due to the following:

1) We picked solid reliable car make/model. Show up with an '86 fiero and for the most part you'll get an '86 fiero experience (or lack there of)
    2) The actual car was in pretty good shape. Ya it had an engine fire, but aside from that it was nice. No tree's growing in it, or a bad case of ferous oxide and cracked rubber
    3) We planned, planned, planned. We ran this like a business (actually it is, we started and LLC). No bullshit. Schedules with accountable action items, recurring status meetings & got the money taken care of early
    4) We spent 50% of our time on car prep
    5) The other 50% went to logistics and organization

Teams that hope and half ass, get the result they deserve (unless luck swings there way). If I was one guy, I'd look to rent a seat and give it a try. Read the chump forums, and find a team that looks like they have their stuff together (safety is #1), and see if you can join them for a weekend.

Now that we have the car together and have a better idea what to do and expect, it will make the level of effort for the next race a lot more manageable.

-Chris

alradco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

That's a great accomplishment. Nice job.

So Chris,

What is the team charging for a seat at the next race ?

Ron

So Chris,

What is the team charging for a seat at the next race ?

Ron
    HEH You should come down and crew next race and meet the guys. Best way to get a seat is to meet the other drivers.

Finaly posted some video. This is the first stint. Goes green about 18 min in. RACING >>>> HPDE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrPAl0PIpk0

This was Ron running. As you can see we are an above average speed wise car. There are some cars though that just ate our lunch. There was a 90-ish 300z out there with no roof that ran fast lap (2:17 to our 2:34 on main.) We brought a knife to a gun fight with a few of these cars.

-Chris

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.