OT: VIR 24 Chumpcar Report - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, OT: VIR 24 Chumpcar Report in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So upgraded lights on the list ? bc2027zx2.jpg...
    rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: OT: VIR 24 Chumpcar Report

So upgraded lights on the list ?

bc2027zx2.jpg

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

HAHA. We were going to do Hella 500's, but think we'll just try and not rear end anyone and just keep running out 35w HIDS x 4.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Here ya go...

2005 cadillac cts-v racecar #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

StretchASU is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

http://www.lunatecled.com

Been running these or a version of them over the years. I wont go back to a halogen or HID aux light ever again. Planning on putting one behind the lower grille of the V here soon since I travel some pretty dark backroads going to and from our hunt camp.

Back OT though...great vids. If yall ever need a hand crewing drop me a line on here. Know my way around an E30 and 36 pretty well and been around VIR and CMP a good bit over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by StretchASU View Post
    http://www.lunatecled.com

Been running these or a version of them over the years. I wont go back to a halogen or HID aux light ever again. Planning on putting one behind the lower grille of the V here soon since I travel some pretty dark backroads going to and from our hunt camp.

Back OT though...great vids. If yall ever need a hand crewing drop me a line on here. Know my way around an E30 and 36 pretty well and been around VIR and CMP a good bit over the years.
    We are always open to anyone and everyone come and hanging with us! Racing is a real blast, and all hands are welcome.

In last years 24 (2012), and at Daytona the HIDS were very effective. Goin from 4 to 1 is the suk though.

We are trying to figure out right now what we are going to do for next year. Our car as it sits goes from 3 lap penalty to 22, so we've got some tough choices to make.

One thing we may do is go from a 1 car team to a 2 car team, so if anyone is interested in renting a seat in a proven car.....let me know

-Chris

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq

What are the changes in the regs that are forcing your car to add so many laps ?

We ran in the "Chumpionship" in early December @ VIR. Finished 8th, which made us pretty happy.

We were supposed to run on North, but VIR was repaving the main course, and wanted to start early so they booted us to Patriot. It was a bit nuts having 40 cars running full bore on that tiny track.

Weather sucked. It was 70 degrees on Friday, but on Saturday it was in the 40's with rain in the morning.

We ran 8 hours on Saturday and 8 on Sunday. Cars were impounded after the race on Saturday, with no work allowed (even refueling) on the cars.

Sunday morning it was about 35 degrees and raining, and it got colder as the day went on. They ended up cancelling the race at 2PM, because it had dipped to 31 degrees and freezing rain.

We are in the process of building a 2nd car for our team next year. We will be renting out seats in the current car at our races next year, to folks we know (that won't wad it up, and if they do can afford to fix it). We plan to run VIR 3 times next year, plus Watkins Glen.

If you enjoy DE's, and want to take the 'next step', chumpcar is the way to go. DE's can't even remotely compare to real wheel to wheel racing. It is also a completely different animal than sprint racing, as our shortest races are 10 hours, and longest (that we will run) 24. Next year they are running a 37 hour race in the midwest!

-Chris

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Pencil me in on that list Chris and keep me posted...this gun for hire
    2005 cadillac cts-v racecar #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

2015 can't come soon enough so I can get back on the track in any capacity. This year will be three in a row ruined by work.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1 View Post
    Pencil me in on that list Chris and keep me posted...this gun for hire
    I think you may have met my business partner Ron at John's funeral. Do you ever run with NASA MA?

Let me know if you have any plans to run at VIR this coming season. I know Ron will be running there a bunch with NASA. If so we can hook up for a chat for sure.

-Chris

----------

Our schedule for 2014 will be:

March 29
    VIRGINIA INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY: 12 Hour,
    "The Old Car Dominion 12"

May 23-May 25
    WATKINS GLEN: 6+8+6
    "2014 Summer (parking) Jam @ Watkins Glen"

August 9-August 10
    VIRGINIA INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY: 24 Hour
    "The VIR 24-hour Classic"

December 6-December 7
    VIRGINIA INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY: Regional Chumpionship
    "East Region - Chumpionship (Open to any/all teams)"

The above is FOR SURE. We may sneak in Summit Point as well. Not sure just yet though (it will be on Shenandoah):

June 21-June 22
    SUMMIT POINT MOTORSPORTS PARK: Double-7
    "Mountain State Madness"

-Chris

New business eh ? ChumpCar rentals

We've been feverishly working on TCR-2 to get it ready for our first event at the end of march. 3 weeks ago, it was just a shell, no drivetrain. We've busted our buts to get it to where it is today.

We got the car back from the exhaust shop last Friday afternoon, and still had some stuff on the pre-track todo list for Friday afternoon. We drove the car up and down a residential street (the first time under it's own power with the new engine and tranny) to make sure there weren't any catastrophic issues. We loaded up the car at about 6 pm, and drove to VIR for the Chin event that weekend (was disappointed not to see *any* caddy's out there!)

There was a freak snow/ice storm on Friday. This is the track Saturday morning:
    IMG_20140308_063821_630_zps0813c681.jpg

They didn't open the track until 1 pm, which kinda sucked. That gave us time to actually drive the car a bit around the service roads. It is definitely running a bit on the rich side, lots of decel burble/crackling. Unfortunately, it looks like the 3rd gear synchro was pretty jacked up, requiring double clutching going from 2nd to 3rd. Downshifts into 3rd were pretty much impossible without massive grind (even rev matching and double clutching). That means we've got to hunt down a new tranny, and install it before our first race at the end of this month. MAJOR bummer, as our new engine/tranny combo is JAMMED into the engine bay. We had to take a sledge-o-matic to the firewall to get it to fit (have about a quarter of an inch between the valve cover and the firewall, and about half an inch in front between the radiator and distributor.) THis means dropping the engine to swap out the tranny .

We were able to get 4 sessions on the car to do some basic testing. Some notes from the tests:
    - We had ZERO cooling issues, which was awesome! This was a pretty big concern for us, as we dropped in a larger engine ($50 swap penalty + $25 for the tranny ) and weren't really sure if the e30 cooling system was up to the challenge. It was running at 172 degrees (water temp) while on track. If we pulled off the track and let it idle for about 10 minutes it would eventually climb up to 220. We have a manual fan installed, that when we kicked it on, would take it right back down to 180, which was great.
    - We haven't done anything to to the suspension yet. The new chump car/modification valuation rules really limit what you can do to the cars this year and not get a penalty, so we are running completely stock suspension right now (see the picture below, it looks like a 4x4 right now.) We can do home made camber plates within our budget to get some more negative camber, but haven't done that yet. We were running about 1% negative up front, and actually had positive camber in the rear (yikes!).
    - The track was pretty wet, and had a few small rivers running across it during all session, seriously slowing us down.
    - We were still running the stock 2.93 diff. We plan to probably run a 3.73, or possibly a 4.10 LSD in the final package (we take a $25 swap penalty for that, but it's definitely worth it).
    - The new engine isn't rev happy like the M20, but it's got a lot more torque. I think it's going to be pretty good once we swap the diff.
    - The car ran great aside from the tranny and jacked up suspension. The brakes were great.

All in all with only a few minutes behind the wheel, driving fairly conservatively, poor track conditions, the tranny/suspension/diff issues we still managed to squeak out a few 2:30 laps. Right now, it is about as fast as TCR-1 (which has close to a spec e30 suspension on it, and a 3.73 diff.) I think we have the foundation here to have a really competitive car.

IMG_20140305_244830_580_zps8fd799c6.jpg

If anyone wants to come and check us out, we'll have both cars at the VIR 12 hour race on Saturday March 29th.

-Chris

Car looks too pretty !

Quote Originally Posted by rjoffe View Post
    Car looks too pretty !
    It's more of a 50' car. The white car is damned nice. zero rust, just a few on track war wounds.

The red car is a NJ survivor....it's light because we had to cut a lot of rust off her! Also the clear coat is peeling like a '95 Grand Am.

-Chris

RACE REPORT:

finished building the new car...kinda. We got a new tranny swapped in, and it worked great. Dropped in a 3.73 rear, which was also awesome for VIR. We didn't have time to do much at all with the suspension though. We did cut a coil off the front springs to stiffen that up a but, and dialed in as much camber as we could with an angle grinder to the strut tower ( abot negative 2 degrees). We did nothing to the rear. one side was 0 camber, and the other was still at positive 1 (UGHH). Worse still, we toe out on the rear: it was a real handfull. Power on over steer, and power off snap over steer.

It rained all day on Saturday the 29th. I think we had a dry line for about 30 minutes all day. In my first stint (I started the race) I spun the car 5 times in 2 hours, but still managed to bring the car in in 10th place. We were running between there and high teens until about hour 8 when we started having issues with our intank fuel pump. Due to the saddle design of the later e30 larger fuel tanks (like we have in the 88), we decided to run a swirl pot/fuel accumulator. I think we ended up burning out the intank pump, and was only running on the upstream accumulator pump. We ended up the last 4 hours only being able to go about 45 minutes before massive fuel starvation (like 6-8 seconds at a time) forced us to come in and pit to top it off.

We ended up in 21st place due to that issue

I definitely think our new car is a podium level car once we get the fueling and suspension dialed in.

Here are a couple of videos.

My business partner Ron taking it on the chin twice in a 10 minute period (very luck we had no car damage):

My first stint:

I help out the 'aero' on another e30 by ripping off his bumper. Consensus was I shouldn't have tracked out so much, and he should have given me racing room. I tracked him down and we talked about it. I was able to return his bumper to him after the race

A couple car pics:

1) My logbook picture:
    log_book_1_zps407277d4.jpg

2) a nice rear shot from Motor Sport Media:
    ChumpCar-VIR-12-Hour-March-2014-20-1050x699_zps177a8199.jpg

Next up is Watkins Glenn over memorial day. We will need help at this one, so if anyone is interested, we are racing 6 hours on Friday, 8 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday. Let me know!

-Chris

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.